Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Considering a 1990 Monaco Crown Royal Signature

I'm considering buying a 1990 Monaco Crown Royal Signature with 91K on it. It has the L-10 Engine, Allison MT 647, and what appears to be the Eaton 2 speed axle. I think its the 2 speed as it has some hardware that looks like it may be what actuates it. The person selling it says it has a 6 speed tranny, and he is a sales man so go figure. He is having a hard time saying how long it has been idle, but claims it was used about 2 years ago. I don't think he is intentionally lying but I'm going to say its been idle for a while. It started right up and the only noise I heard for about 4 or 5 minutes maybe was the A/C compressor. He said this was a $300K rig new, could have been $500K but who cares, it was obviously a nice rig in its day. It seems to be in good shape, but I'm sure will need things. I didn't get to hear the Kohler Diesel Generator run. There is a stack of receipts from the one owner. I've got twin 8 year old boys and a 13 year old daughter so there would need to be some kind of changes to sleep us all. The drivers seat is wickad comfy! I'm very hand and can fix most anything, no really, but I do have a family and want to enjoy this kind of thing to help us bond together. Didn't go for a ride yet. Tires are basically new. Its only about 1 hr from me in North Carolina and $18K. The NADA is roughly about $11K which I realize is a quide. What are your thoughts? I mean I didn't go for a ride in it, and there is still more to find out, like the batteries (which he had no info on), how many hours on the generator ( he didn't know where to find that), I'd like to look up on top of the roof as I do see some indications of staining in the back corner near the bedroom, if and how the A/c and heating system works. He said he doesn't want to go lower than $18K but sure does seem like he doesn't know much to be able to come up with a accurate value. Yes it has new tires and was expensive when new, but....

I really do like this RV, I just want to get more info. Any input would be great!!

2 speed rear?

Hard to see but some staining

more staining which is just below the above picture

when was that last changed

Thanks for any help!
Dave
asnowsquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

First, throw out the NADA prices. Once you get that old, NADA doesn't really mean much, except to the bank. That is where the problem may lie unless you have the cash to purchase this, or take out a home equity line of credit, etc. Most banks won't loan on anything that old. In fact, once you get older than 10 years, many won't loan at all.

Those Monaco's were great motorhomes in their time, and still are. The problem you have is you don't know what sort of maintenance has been done. If I was going to be taking that on the road, I'd want to do a complete chassis and engine maintenace (hoses, belts, fluids, filters (like that rusty one) air drier, etc.) If you can do that yourself, bully. If you have to pay...

Check the date codes on the tires. They may look like new but be 15 years old. Any older than 7 years (some say less) and they'll need to be replaced.

It does look like there could have been a leak at some point, just check for anything rotted. Those Monaco's had aluminum frames and skin, so any damage can probably be repaired, but check roof seals and make sure everything there is good to go. Check out all the appliances. If the fridge is original, figure on replacing it. Make sure all the plumbing works, generator, electrical, etc.

Again, could be a great classic coach, but I'd set aside $4,000 or so for updates/repairs, even if everything checks out from the get-go. From what I've read, the L-10 Cummins was a good motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnowsquall View Post
I'm considering buying a 1990 Monaco Crown Royal Signature with 91K on it. It has the L-10 Engine, Allison MT 647, and what appears to be the Eaton 2 speed axle. I think its the 2 speed as it has some hardware that looks like it may be what actuates it. The person selling it says it has a 6 speed tranny, and he is a sales man so go figure. He is having a hard time saying how long it has been idle, but claims it was used about 2 years ago. I don't think he is intentionally lying but I'm going to say its been idle for a while. Thanks for any help!
Dave
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
"Any input would be great!!"

The leaks spotting can be quite expensive to repair depending on what caused them and how long things stayed wet. So try to explore those areas before making a purchase.

Other wise if the floor plan fits, the mechanical condition is good, and you want a continuing hobby of DIY repairs, make your best deal and enjoy.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My credit union did a loan on the coach we have. The coach was 18 yrs old when I bought it. Mine did care about NADA. They wanted it only a certain percent over mid NADA and were quite happy that I ended up getting the coach for about $10k less than low NADA.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #5

It's all about condition. Engines, tires, transmission and house.

Ancillary things to think about in coaches that old are the fridge and a/c units. If they are original, you should also keep in your mind that you will possibly have to replace them soon.

But any big engine or transmission issue will be really big money. Not like a gas coach where you can pretty much be confident that $5,000 would get your engine and trans rebuilt... you could easily be looking at 3 or 4 times that amount.

Steve
Old 05-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #6

I own the exact same coach. Check everything very closely as they can be real money pits. The Allison 647 is a 4 speed- not a 6. There is a couple of versions of L-10 engines, mines a 300 but it seems the 275 is more common. When I got mine it needed everything- but he price I paid reflected that so buy accordingly. Let me know if you have any questions-

Scott
Scottie150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Picture #2 is of a two speed axle.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie150 View Post
I own the exact same coach. Check everything very closely as they can be real money pits. The Allison 647 is a 4 speed- not a 6. There is a couple of versions of L-10 engines, mines a 300 but it seems the 275 is more common. When I got mine it needed everything- but he price I paid reflected that so buy accordingly. Let me know if you have any questions-

Scott
How do you like the L10? He told the woman listing it that his low is $17k which still seems a little high with the info I have at this point. I tried starting the 9kw diesel Kohler generator and it started up and shut down. He said its because the main tank is low enough on fuel that it does that so you can drive the RV to get more fuel. He is going to put more fuel in it.

The last time I went to it the alternator belt was ripped off of it. The rubber seemed very old so I'm sure this thing hasn't been used in a long time. Still need a ride in it. One A/C unit blows cold, frig seems kinda cold, he says it take about 24 hours for it to get cold? Freezer gets a red error light, but I'm not sure there is propane in the tank. Need to see if the heater, and hot water heater works. Need to try and figure where the date codes are on the tires as I don't see receipts for them.

There is not a drop of oil making it to the ground from the engine, tranny, or rear end. Air bags look good, just 23 years old. Wonder how much 8 of those cost. Then there is the air brakes which is an unknown. Looks like the air compressor may have been replaced as it look newer.

My credit Union recommended the 401k loan which I could do.
Still need a ride in it, and I'm not crazy excited about it. I've done a lot of wheelin and dealin, and I know that this isn't something I'll make money on, it just has so many things that require time and $$ and in the end it will be a "high end" 23+ year old rig. Then again I'm not trying to make money on it.
Still on the fence....
Old 05-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #9

You'll definitely want to replace the belts. The red light on the fridge probably indicates the pilot failed to light which could be because there's no propane on board. You'll want to fill that propane tank and check the fridge, water heater and furnace for operation. Only one AC unit blows cold? What's wrong with the second one? Also, it's true that if the fuel tank is too low, the generator will shut off. That's to prevent you from running the fuel tank completely dry on the generator. Air brakes, yes check them out. The actuators or the slack adjusters could be rusty from sitting. You'll want to lube the entire chassis. And, it can take 24 hours for a fridge to cool down completely. If you see frost in the freezer, it's probably working normally. It cools from the top down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnowsquall View Post
How do you like the L10? He told the woman listing it that his low is $17k which still seems a little high with the info I have at this point. I tried starting the 9kw diesel Kohler generator and it started up and shut down. He said its because the main tank is low enough on fuel that it does that so you can drive the RV to get more fuel. He is going to put more fuel in it.

The last time I went to it the alternator belt was ripped off of it. The rubber seemed very old so I'm sure this thing hasn't been used in a long time. Still need a ride in it. One A/C unit blows cold, frig seems kinda cold, he says it take about 24 hours for it to get cold? Freezer gets a red error light, but I'm not sure there is propane in the tank. Need to see if the heater, and hot water heater works. Need to try and figure where the date codes are on the tires as I don't see receipts for them.

There is not a drop of oil making it to the ground from the engine, tranny, or rear end. Air bags look good, just 23 years old. Wonder how much 8 of those cost. Then there is the air brakes which is an unknown. Looks like the air compressor may have been replaced as it look newer.

My credit Union recommended the 401k loan which I could do.
Still need a ride in it, and I'm not crazy excited about it. I've done a lot of wheelin and dealin, and I know that this isn't something I'll make money on, it just has so many things that require time and $$ and in the end it will be a "high end" 23+ year old rig. Then again I'm not trying to make money on it.
Still on the fence....
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #10

Currently I have kind of a love/hate relationship with my motorhome. Here's my .02, you either get a loan and pay up for something nice or you put a lot of $$$ and time in. In my case I've replaced the fridge, furnace, brakes, air shifter( that was a fun one) and just recently the driveshaft and the alternator/regulator. The great thing about the Monaco I'd they are built extremely well, however they are so old no one knows anything about them and anything major that needs to be done truck shops will bend you over (because they can in my experience) my L10 seems a little underpowered in my opinion- and I average 8mpg. There is a lot of experience on this board so I'm sure there will be some more input- from what I have seen even older non name brand dp bring at least 15k- so 17k isn't way out there in my opinion if it runs/drives/stops. Drive it and then make a decision. Ill answer any other questions best I can-
Scott
Scottie150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #11

Thanks for all the input. I can understand the love hate thing. I'll let you know what I think after the ride.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #12

So I found the hours on the generator by looking at pictures! 795 hours.

Is this where you shift from high to low?
How often do you find yourself using low? Doesn't seem like you would use it much....

OK, so these tires were manufactured the 29th week of 1999. yikes, so it needs tires for sure. 6 Goodyear G661's are $3,518.64 which I know I saw somewhere on this site someone said plan on $3,500.

The more I find on this, it shows this rig has been sitting for a while, which lines up with him saying he doesn't know much about it repeatedly. Nice rig, but the price still needs to come down in my opinion. more info on tire ages here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #13

Did you buy the coach? If not, I'd love to know where it is! And why you decided not to buy. If anyone else knows of a nice 40' early '90s Monaco (Crown Royale, Signature, or Executive) for sale I am looking for one.
Thanks to All
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #14

If you buy this coach I predict that it will be over a year getting it in shape and safe enough for you to feel comfortable taking your kids somewhere.

Tires, batteries, at least one roof air conditioner, belts, hoses, air dryer, full chassis service, full generator service, fridge service or replacement, new hot water heater, replace the seized AC compressor that ate the belt, re-caulk the roof, replace the TV for a digital one, possible air bag replacement, rebuild or replace the level control valves, chase down lighting and electrical issues, worn and frayed wiring, drain/flush/antifreeze for the radiator, etc...

You can easily spend again your purchase price on getting it going.

Some of the early coaches had propane generators. I see you said this one is diesel. Be sure since propane generators are very problematic. Speaking of generators, it will need belts, hoses, thermostat, etc.

The magnitude of getting a coach that has been sitting for a long time recommissioned is mind boggling. I always recommend buying a used coach that is currently being used regularly.

High end motor coaches are expensive when new and expensive to maintain. Just because they are now more affordable does not change the fact that they remain expensive to maintain.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco