Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
That's funny. Maybe there's something sinister about Palo Duro. It was on the way to palo duro canyon last year that the front AC tanked. And then the rear AC started tripping the breaker... and it got really warm on the way home with just one rooftop AC...
Cheers,
Walter
Well, it gets hot out there!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 08:07 AM   #16
YC1

I had to go the other direction last Summer when it was impossible to get a replacement 15 unit.

I finally found a 13 model with the heat pump and had to change out the control board inside to match the old thermostat. That was easy enough but frustrating that I had to install a new board in a new unit.

I kept the old circuit board and am glad I did. I just used it in the old 15 unit.

The new unit is in the living area. Even though it is smaller it seems to keep the area cooler than the old 15 unit. It is just as noisy as the old 13 unit.

I use AC silencers to help but they are far to noisy. If the mini split companies could redesign their systems they could find a new market.

When we have to replace the bedroom AC we will go with the smaller one just to save a db or so of noise. Probably won't notice it but in reality that extra power in the bedroom goes to waste. It does force air forward but not that much.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyph View Post
I was considering changing because I felt the newer Penquin II's would do a better job cooling. It seems like on hot days (90+ degrees) I have a hard time keeping the coach cool during the middle of the day. Also, when I am driving on hots days if I drive more than 4 hours the coach gets very hot. For example, yesterday I pulled out in the morning and the coach was 65 degrees inside and when I arrived at my destination some 5 hours later it was 79 degrees. I talk to people with newer coaches (mine is a 2003 Monaco Windsor) and they don't seem to have this problem but could be normal for these older coaches.
Yep, here in our Tx summers, we have 2 temps hot & hotter

I have an 03 Windsor too. I found a problem that you may have as well. One night we were parked facing a cold wind which caused me to feel cold air under the dash. I felt around but couldn't locate where it was coming from, so I had the wife move a flashlight around under the dash while I looked from the outside behind the generator. Wow, could I see light, there was a gap all across up to 1/2 in where the plywood was supposed the be screwed to a metal frame. Initially, I tore strips of paper towel twisted and stuffed in there. That really helped until I filled the gap with foam. Air infiltration is a big problem, especially while underway.

As others have stated if your old units are up to par you will notice little or no improvement in performance. A good cleaning and replacing the foam strips on top under the covers may put you back to cooling well. The airflow across the condenser mustn't be allowed to recirculate under the cover which is what happens if the foam seal is compromised.

Ray 03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I had to go the other direction last Summer when it was impossible to get a replacement 15 unit.

I finally found a 13 model with the heat pump and had to change out the control board inside to match the old thermostat. That was easy enough but frustrating that I had to install a new board in a new unit.

I kept the old circuit board and am glad I did. I just used it in the old 15 unit.

The new unit is in the living area. Even though it is smaller it seems to keep the area cooler than the old 15 unit. It is just as noisy as the old 13 unit.

I use AC silencers to help but they are far to noisy. If the mini split companies could redesign their systems they could find a new market.

When we have to replace the bedroom AC we will go with the smaller one just to save a db or so of noise. Probably won't notice it but in reality that extra power in the bedroom goes to waste. It does force air forward but not that much.
I put a high capacity in the bedroom and I think that was a mistake. Since we live in Texas, I wanted the most cooling I could get. It’s such a small area it’s too much cooling. I’ve found condensation in the vents closest to the unit in humid weather and they felt very cold. We ended up turning the tstat up so it cycles more whennits humid.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:47 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
"A good cleaning and replacing the foam strips on top under the covers may put you back to cooling well. The airflow across the condenser mustn't be allowed to recirculate under the cover which is what happens if the foam seal is compromised."

This is the first thing I would do to both units.

Tim
Old 06-29-2021, 02:58 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the center AC on our 2004 Sig with a new 15k BTU Penguin II heat pump. The new unit works so much better!
I installed a conversion control board and kept our 5-button thermostats.
Detailed thread on how to swap:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/repl...ch-405503.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:13 AM   #21

If you have a inside ceiling assembly on the AC. You may want to look at The RV AC Silencer to reduce the noise levels. THEY WORK GREAT.
www.wackoproducts.com
doughboyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
The air temp coming from the ducts on this new unit is 47 degrees and it's 55 from the old one. This allows it to cool faster and then cycle off.
But even with the fan on high it is slightly quieter than the old one.
Our coach has a decorative cover assembly under the A/C units that may be helping some with the noise level.

I set them side by side with the covers off and it is a completely new design.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I finally got around to installing my Penguin 2 units last week. I purchased these on Black Friday from Panther rv parts. Got a great deal at 936.00 each. I only needed one but decided to purchase 2 because the bedroom unit is original to the coach and although it works fine it is 14 years old. Both units are hi capacity 15,000 with heat pumps. They do not use the CCC2 thermostats, so I took out the temp sensor mounted in my bathroom that was controlled by the 5 button thermostat in the bedroom. I ran a new 3 wire cable from the air conditioner to the hole where the temp sensor was. I installed a Micro air thermostat instead of the dometic one due to reading the reviews about them. Very easy install, unit works great, LOVE the thermostat which has Bluetooth so you can control it from your phone if you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6377C442-48A0-4DB8-A6A1-D5D4D33A8E90.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	334573   Click image for larger version

Name:	37D44EFD-95D7-400D-B5CC-72C3CA9C1C7A.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	334574  

Old 07-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yoopers View Post
They do not use the CCC2 thermostats, so I took out the temp sensor mounted in my bathroom that was controlled by the 5 button thermostat in the bedroom. I ran a new 3 wire cable from the air conditioner to the hole where the temp sensor was..
What’s the purpose of the new 3-wire cable?
wamcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:14 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
What’s the purpose of the new 3-wire cable?
I had to run a new cable because my new units do not have the phone cable wiring. They only require 3 wires to the thermostat to control the air and heat pump, and the old temp sensor I removed was 2 wire.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:39 PM   #26

Had to replace both of ours both burned up and tripped the breaker. No choice but they are not loud. Both work from 1 thermostat
Old 07-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yoopers View Post
...I installed a Micro air thermostat instead of the dometic one due to reading the reviews about them. Very easy install, unit works great, LOVE the thermostat which has Bluetooth so you can control it from your phone if you like.
When I had to replace one on my three heat pumps, I used the conversion board as my wall space had no room for the oversized CCC2 compared to the existing 5 button. But the new Penguin II is louder than the old unit and the old 5 button thermostat seems to have only 2 fan speeds: loud and deafening. Looks like the Micro air thermostat will fit my wall space, so my question is will it make use of a lower fan speed for quieter operation?
TXduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:59 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXduo View Post
When I had to replace one on my three heat pumps, I used the conversion board as my wall space had no room for the oversized CCC2 compared to the existing 5 button. But the new Penguin II is louder than the old unit and the old 5 button thermostat seems to have only 2 fan speeds: loud and deafening. Looks like the Micro air thermostat will fit my wall space, so my question is will it make use of a lower fan speed for quieter operation?
It has 2 fan speeds plus the auto fan setting. Pretty sure the fan speeds are regulated by the control board in the air conditioner. The thermostat just sends the signal to it.