Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #1

Considering changing out Penquin I A/Cs for Penquin II's. Thoughts?

I currently have the old Penquin I 13.5K BTU with heat pump (2) and am considering changing to the Penquin II 15K BTU with heat pump. Wanted to know thoughts from those who have done this. Did you see increase A/C performance? Easy installation? (I know I need the new comfort control thermostat) and did you have any issues with the new thermostat operating your furnance? Thanks for the help.
Coreyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 05:01 PM   #2

I had to replace my center Penguin l 13.5 with a 13.5 Pll. It is so loud compared to my old unit works great but loud . Seams like it is on high fan all the time but isn't. Lee Condosta 2001 43 Nav. Polk City Fl.
lcilm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #3

Changed mine to penguin 2 high capacity I like the 3 speed fan but they are noisy on high but cool well
Old 06-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #4
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
To all that have changed did you also have to upgrade thermostats?
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyndance View Post
To all that have changed did you also have to upgrade thermostats?
Yes,
And to the OP if yours are still working well don't change them. They are built better IMHO

Tim
Old 06-19-2021, 09:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I’ve changed both of mine out. Piece of cake for me since I have separately controlled units. Two high cap units, 2 CCC thermostats and two drain kits. I agree with Tim. If yours are working well, keep them as long as you can. Both of mine ran well until they quit, the Penguin II were less reliable, at least the first few years of production.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:29 AM   #7

I was considering changing because I felt the newer Penquin II's would do a better job cooling. It seems like on hot days (90+ degrees) I have a hard time keeping the coach cool during the middle of the day. Also, when I am driving on hots days if I drive more than 4 hours the coach gets very hot. For example, yesterday I pulled out in the morning and the coach was 65 degrees inside and when I arrived at my destination some 5 hours later it was 79 degrees. I talk to people with newer coaches (mine is a 2003 Monaco Windsor) and they don't seem to have this problem but could be normal for these older coaches.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyph View Post
I was considering changing because I felt the newer Penquin II's would do a better job cooling. It seems like on hot days (90+ degrees) I have a hard time keeping the coach cool during the middle of the day. Also, when I am driving on hots days if I drive more than 4 hours the coach gets very hot. For example, yesterday I pulled out in the morning and the coach was 65 degrees inside and when I arrived at my destination some 5 hours later it was 79 degrees. I talk to people with newer coaches (mine is a 2003 Monaco Windsor) and they don't seem to have this problem but could be normal for these older coaches.
Were you running both of your A/C's going the down the road along with the dash A/C? I can keep my coach cool with dash on recirculate (Max cool) and both A/C's in 100+ temps. If I stop in those conditions then the coach will climb to 79-80 depending on sun. BTW, What coach do you have?

Tim
Old 06-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #9

I run both of my A/C's and dash air. I have a 2003 Monaco Windsor 40PST. I am also considering getting MCD shades to help. Just wondering if my A/C's may not be performing and their max potential cause they are 18 years old.
Old 06-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #10

Mine is an 2002 Windsor mine weren't keeping coach cold especially the front one after I installed new ones it cools great I replaced both and got the newer thermostat you could replace one and install a backward compatible circuit board to work with your existing thermostat. I ordered mine from ppl in Texas save money
Old 06-20-2021, 04:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyph View Post
Wanted to know thoughts from those who have done this. Did you see increase A/C performance? Easy installation? (I know I need the new comfort control thermostat) and did you have any issues with the new thermostat operating your furnance? Thanks for the help.
I recently replaced one failed original high capacity unit with new hi cap PII and have a 2nd new unit to install as soon as I get around to it.
I was really hoping the new unit would be less noisy. Nope... just as loud as the old ones. Maybe slightly louder. I think the high fan speed may be slightly higher than the old one.
I haven't done a rigorous performance comparison of inlet/outlet temps and amperage, but I'm really unimpressed and I don't think there's any significant increase in performance -vs- an old unit that is operating properly.
Installation and hookup is straightforward. The new AC controls the aquahot just as well as the old unit did.
I have mixed feelings about the new CCC2 controller. Being able to see the display is really nice. The old CCCs are really hard to read.
On the other hand... the CCC2 is like 5-1/2" wide. So if your old thermostat is in a narrow spot, you'll have fun figuring out how to replace it. And be aware: it requires a big honking 1-1/2" hole to be cut in the wall behind the thermostat (not just a small hole to pass the wires through).
I'm also not a fan of the CCC2's scheduling feature. I guess it's nice that it has a scheduling feature, but it has really limited functionality and IMO not at all intuitive.
My advice: If your ACs are working properly, don't be in a hurry to 'upgrade'. Maybe you'll benefit from the increased cooling capacity, but IMO the new ACs aren't really much of an upgrade and are not worth the trouble and expense.
It baffles me that RV air conditioners haven't really advanced in the last 20 years.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 06-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We drove back to central Texas from El Paso on Sunday. The high that day was 109 and we were quite comfortable, the Penguin IIs did their job. Lucky for us, the sun was behind us after about 1 pm.

I decided to replace my front unit when I was camping at Palo Duro Canyon over the 4th of July in 2016. It was 104 and the front AC wasn’t keeping it cool. The rear unit stil cooled, but the compressor motor started vibrating and it sounded like a B52 taking off. I replaced it this year.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:41 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
I recently replaced one failed original high capacity unit with new hi cap PII and have a 2nd new unit to install as soon as I get around to it.
I was really hoping the new unit would be less noisy. Nope... just as loud as the old ones. Maybe slightly louder. I think the high fan speed may be slightly higher than the old one.
I haven't done a rigorous performance comparison of inlet/outlet temps and amperage, but I'm really unimpressed and I don't think there's any significant increase in performance -vs- an old unit that is operating properly.
Installation and hookup is straightforward. The new AC controls the aquahot just as well as the old unit did.
I have mixed feelings about the new CCC2 controller. Being able to see the display is really nice. The old CCCs are really hard to read.
On the other hand... the CCC2 is like 5-1/2" wide. So if your old thermostat is in a narrow spot, you'll have fun figuring out how to replace it. And be aware: it requires a big honking 1-1/2" hole to be cut in the wall behind the thermostat (not just a small hole to pass the wires through).
I'm also not a fan of the CCC2's scheduling feature. I guess it's nice that it has a scheduling feature, but it has really limited functionality and IMO not at all intuitive.
My advice: If your ACs are working properly, don't be in a hurry to 'upgrade'. Maybe you'll benefit from the increased cooling capacity, but IMO the new ACs aren't really much of an upgrade and are not worth the trouble and expense.
It baffles me that RV air conditioners haven't really advanced in the last 20 years.
Cheers,
Walter
I installed them sideways.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
We drove back to central Texas from El Paso on Sunday. The high that day was 109 and we were quite comfortable, the Penguin IIs did their job. Lucky for us, the sun was behind us after about 1 pm.

I decided to replace my front unit when I was camping at Palo Duro Canyon over the 4th of July in 2016. It was 104 and the front AC wasn’t keeping it cool. The rear unit still cooled, but the compressor motor started vibrating and it sounded like a B52 taking off. I replaced it this year.
That's funny. Maybe there's something sinister about Palo Duro. It was on the way to palo duro canyon last year that the front AC tanked. And then the rear AC started tripping the breaker... and it got really warm on the way home with just one rooftop AC...
Cheers,
Walter