Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

Considering the Monaco Signatures or Beaver Patriot Thunder

Hi Everyone,

I will be purchasing a used diesel RV with a budget of ~$150K over the next 6 months. I have been researching for about 1+ years and I have settled to go after either a Tiffin Phaeton that is about 6 years old or a Monaco Signature/Beaver Patriot that is about 10-12 years old. My reason that I like the Monaco/Beaver models is because I can find many in that price range about 10-12 years old and the vast majority look in outstanding condition. My question for all of you is simple....is my perception about the Monacos/Beavers accurate or should I be worried that they look great but have flaws that I can't see.

By the way, I will be living in the RV for at least 6-9 months out of the year so I want to make sure I am making the right choice. Your inputs are welcome.
GreyGoose57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Love my 06 Beaver. Not an expert here but the Beaver brand seems to have a great brand loyalty and is a well thought of coach. I would prefer this over many of the newer coaches I have looked at. Just my opinion.
They also seem to sell pretty fast as there aren't a lot out there for sale.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose57 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I will be purchasing a used diesel RV with a budget of ~$150K over the next 6 months. I have been researching for about 1+ years and I have settled to go after either a Tiffin Phaeton that is about 6 years old or a Monaco Signature/Beaver Patriot that is about 10-12 years old. My reason that I like the Monaco/Beaver models is because I can find many in that price range about 10-12 years old and the vast majority look in outstanding condition. My question for all of you is simple....is my perception about the Monacos/Beavers accurate or should I be worried that they look great but have flaws that I can't see.

By the way, I will be living in the RV for at least 6-9 months out of the year so I want to make sure I am making the right choice. Your inputs are welcome.
We love our Beaver. We have had it for 3 years. Lived in it for 7 months this year while traveling out west. It drives and handles well, we never worry about big trucks passing because we don't feel them like some other non-tag MHs do. The CAT engine is great and has power to spare. I think your research is spot on!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
We love our Beaver. We have had it for 3 years. Lived in it for 7 months this year while traveling out west. It drives and handles well, we never worry about big trucks passing because we don't feel them like some other non-tag MHs do. The CAT engine is great and has power to spare. I think your research is spot on!
Thanks for your response.....One reason why I like the Beaver Thunder is the 525 HP engine....I expect that this will be plenty of power. I like the Phaetons also but am concerned that they may be a bit underpowered. I also love the interiors of the Monaco/Beaver products. To see the interiors in such good condition after 10-12 years tells me that they have great build quality.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
Love my 06 Beaver. Not an expert here but the Beaver brand seems to have a great brand loyalty and is a well thought of coach. I would prefer this over many of the newer coaches I have looked at. Just my opinion.
They also seem to sell pretty fast as there aren't a lot out there for sale.
Thanks GG,
RV Sales of Oregon is selling a 2006 Beaver Patriot right now and it looks in great condition. I wish they were a little closer to me but I have no problems flying across the company for the right RV. That dealership also tends to carry many of these types of vehicles when they are available so I watch their inventory so I will be ready when the time is right.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose57 View Post
Thanks for your response.....One reason why I like the Beaver Thunder is the 525 HP engine....I expect that this will be plenty of power. I like the Phaetons also but am concerned that they may be a bit underpowered. I also love the interiors of the Monaco/Beaver products. To see the interiors in such good condition after 10-12 years tells me that they have great build quality.
I really should have mentioned that I have never seen a MH with better cabinetry in a MH than my Beaver. I'm sure there must be some but they were all above my ability to pay for if they exist. Everytime I go into a MH on a lot or in a show the first thing I do is open a cabinet. Then I turn around and leave because they all feel like plastic or balsa wood compared to my Beaver.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #7

That's my impression also from the videos I have studied. It's good to hear your confirmation.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #8

We made the same basic decision, when we were shopping for our current rig.

'We dropped years to remain within purchase budget, and bought a higher quality coach.'

I came to the conclusion that in five or so more years of usage, I'd rather have a higher quality coach with better chassis and more engine, then a newer mid level coach. I feel that the higher end coaches, provide a solid foundation to build modify on. Interior refreshing was required, TV's, LED's, change of cabinet and furniture, residential fridge - all things that allowed us to make this 'our coach'.

We like the Patriot Thunder with the BIG BLOCK CAT. And if I recall, the Signature is actually a step above the Patriot Thunder (Probably a closer match to the Marquis. But the lines blur quickly depending upon specific years. For example, it looked to me that the Executive was more of a match to the Marquis in some years, and the Signature was again a slight step above both. So it all depends upon specific years of manufacturer.)

I also recall that many Signatures had the Detroit engine, which I feel would also be a great engine for a coach.

My assessment were top down in preference:

>Signature - With Detroit or Cummins ISM (Believe they had a few years with the ISM(?).)

>Marquis

>Patriot Thunder and or Executive

The other models we had on our shop list were:

>Country Coach (Which we ended up with.)
>Travel Supreme
>Wanderlodge
>Newmar Mountain Aire or above
>Foretravel (Like the Retarder Transmission)

Second Tier, but also fine coaches:

>Alpine (Really liked the Peak chassis handling.)
>Tripple E
>Rexhall
>Dynasty/Windsor

In the models you mentioned you preferred, I would look at interior layout, documented condition with a matching inspection - all of the ones you mentioned
would provide you a great coach to go forward with!

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #9

Thanks Smitty,

You and I see the choices very similarly. The Marquis is a beautiful coach and I would jump to buy that one if available. They just seem to be quite rare but they do pop up from time to time. Like you, I would rather buy older well made coaches than try to buy a new entry level model. Besides, with an older model, all of the initial issues have been addressed. I understand not to skimp on maintenance but I am always on the lookout for nagging issues associated with poor designs. Besides, both the Signatures and the Beaver models cost upwards of $400K to $500K+ new and I sure couldn't afford that anyway.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #10

Well you are certainly looking at quality coaches, so I would think your decision will really come down to what floorplan/layout/color works best for you. At least that is what became most important to our decision after we realized that after a certain point you are not going to see material differences in quality or construction.

After visiting the Country Coach factory, I have always thought that they were some of the best built coaches on the market. But, something in the layout and color schemes just did not fit our preferences. A Monaco factory visit also convinced me that the upper end Monaco coaches were pretty good units too. Again, some of the colors and layouts in some of the models were clearly not what we liked.

What I really liked about the Country Coach and upper-end Monacos was the semi-monocoque chassis. This design really provides a solid basis for a strong coach. (The Signatures and CC Magnas, in particular, were built like tanks.)

When it comes to cabinetry, I think it is very had to find anything comparable to Beaver. I think they are the only ones to have solid wood dove-tail drawer construction with really solid drawer hardware. (Although, I think Travel Supreme is a close second.)

So, you might want to focus on what kind of floorplan works best for you, particularly since you are going to be really spending some time in it.

Just my thoughts.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I agree. The Monaco Signature is one of my favorite coaches. I also like the Beaver Patriot and Marquis as they have the finest interior woodwork I've seen in any RV. The only issue I have with Beaver Patriot and Marquis is most have the big Cat engines and every one we found was averaging less than 5mpg (most were in the 4.3 to 4.8 range). The Cat has lots of power, but it also vibrates more. We did find a Marquis with a Detroit Series 60. Almost bought it.

I would recommend you add the Holiday Rambler Navigator and Monaco Executive to your list. They are built on the same exact Roadmaster chassis as the Signature and can save you a few dollars. There are only minor differences from the Signature (10.0k vs 12.5k generator, Bose vs Sony speakers, and drop down TV is an option).

The Executive and Navigator will also have the same engine options as the Signature: Cummins ISM standard with either Detroit Series 60 or Cummins ISX optional.

The Country Coach Lexa and Affinity are very nice but can be pricey. The Travel Supreme Select is well built and is the forerunner to todays Entegra coach.

Watch out for pricing as it's all over the place. We found $100k differences on the same year model coach.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #12

Good inputs....I am quite flexible on the floorpan but would love to find one with a double sink vanity.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #13

Thanks Vito,
I like the other coaches you mentioned as well. I really like the HR Scepter as well. I wasn't aware of the noise issue but that is something I will pay attention to. The other thing I really want is a coach with comfortable, supportive pilot and co-pilot seats.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would go for the Monaco Signature if you can find a creampuff at the right price! Fantastic coach!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver, monaco