Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

Continental or Michelin Tires (& Prices in So Cal.)

I always like the tire threads, and now that I've been scared into changing my 6 year old Goodyears, I thought I'd look for help/ideas from fellow Monaco owners.

My Goodyear G670 tires are 275/80r22.5 (H) with a 2006 date code and 30,000 miles. They suffer from the rivering problem. I'm angling toward Michelin XZE2, Continental HSR2 SA or possibly Bridgestone R280 (but the closest size is 295/75r22.5). The Continental HSR2 SA is a newer "special application" tire specially made for buses and coaches, but there are not many reviews on it. Here is Contis main page for RV tires (not specific to HSR2 SA).

The Contis seem like a good direction, but I'm a little concerned about being the guinea pig with the HSR2 SA, and also a little concerned about Michelins with so many early wear and blowout complaints (mainly on RV.net). Would any of you take a shot on the new Contis or stick with Michelin?

Michelins are a tad higher.

Costco - Michelin XZE2 $547
Local Shop - Michelin XZE2 $555
Local Shop - Continental HSR2 SA $492
Local Shop - Continental HSR2 (standard regional) $466

BTW, this tire shop charges $25/tire mounting + $25/tire balancing. They will give me as much as $100 back per tire on my G670s (after they see them).

Thanks for any feedback,
Brian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #2

THere is no early wear problems with Michelins. The blowout troubles were strictly for the RV tire and that was many years ago. Some Monacos and Thors use Continentals as OEM.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
THere is no early wear problems with Michelins. The blowout troubles were strictly for the RV tire and that was many years ago. ..........................
You find a GOODYEAR Tire pretty well all over Northamerica. A CONTI ????
For years I drove by the plant every week, but over here I would stay away from the Brand..... just not enough dealers here.
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #4

MotionGrantd- you might consider the Michelins for the fronts, and Bridgestone or similar for the rears. I like the higher QC of the Michelins and will feel safer on them (had a blowout on Goodyear's) when I replace mine later this year, but a blowout on the rear is nowhere near the difficulty or risk of a front blowout. So the Bridgestones at a big savings per tire for the rear (or Continentals) will be my choice for the back four.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
If you're in Monaco Int'l Club, there's a discount program for Michelins. It's worth looking into.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
If you're in Monaco Int'l Club, there's a discount program for Michelins. It's worth looking into.
Same if a member of FMCA.
Shadow520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I've run Continental HSL's on my coach for several years, and apx 30k. They ride and handle well, and are wearing evenly. I bought the first two at a Best One Tire in Ohio, and the four additional a year or so later at a Best One Tire in Alabama. Both times I was unable to get the original Michelin XZA2, but no problem getting the Contenintals, which were priced $100 less per tire.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I just had a pair of Yokohama 295-80-22.5 installed on the front by T/A near Portland for $980 mounted/balanced out the door.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #9

The local shop offered Yokohamas (H ply) in that size, but the weight rating was a little less, so I'd have to run the fronts at max air 120 psi. With a 7160 lb rated tire, I'll run about 105-110 in the fronts (hopefully for a softer ride).

If the Michelin XZE2 and Continental HSR2 SA were the same price, would anybody choose Continental over Michelin?
Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow520 View Post
Same if a member of FMCA.
I don't know if the FMCA discount is the same as Monaco Int's. Anybody here try price tires on both?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #11

I just got 6 of the new Michelin X Coach XZ's and they seem good also. My size is 295/80-22.5 they are a load range J.

CoryP
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
I don't know if the FMCA discount is the same as Monaco Int's. Anybody here try price tires on both?
The MI is a better discount then the FMCA discount.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I put continentals on our 03 endeavor . they may be less expensive, but handled very well dry or wet , and road much better than Goodyear. what ever brand you chews don't bastardize your coach by mixing brands.
KNIGHT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #14

I am curious about your selection of what you called the XZE2. It does not look like there is an XZE2 as their site does not show an one only XZE. I too am about to pull the trigger on tires in your same size but was recomended by Michelin to go with the XZA3+ which is a long haul tire vs the XZE which is a regional tire (not real sure of the difference). Spec on both are the same in the H with 7160 weight rating at max air.

My 6 year old Goodyears of course suffer from rivering with 30,000 miles and I have also blown out Michelin's in the past. I do hope that the blow out issue is behind them as my three blowouts were 9 years ago on another coach. From what I can see it also looks like the newer XZA3+ is their latest and greatest and the shop I plan to purchase from says it is what the stock.

BTW I got the best prices from a Loves Truck Stop in Cleveland Tx that also has a tire shop. They also will by back the old GY's to resale to truckers for trailer tire application. They beat the FMCA price.
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires