Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Continuous Duty Solenoid Temp

In the last basement bay on passenger side of my motor home I have 2 Continuous Duty Solenoids, one for house and one for chassis. I had the chassis go bad and when i changed it out I noticed it was warm. After installing the new solenoid I felt each one and they were hot. I know they get warm but not hot. Is this normal? Batteries fully charged and motor home was not plugged into shore power. I used an infrared Laser Thermometer and the reading was 107 deg.(it felt hotter than 107 to the touch)
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1670.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	123390  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
24213 - Continuous Duty come in 65, 85, 200 Amp

Question is what was load rating of old Solenoid v/s your replacement?

Most replacements and automotive have copper contacts, the higher rated and quality units will have silver contacts.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
YC1

Absolutely normal for these solenoids. They draw 1-1.5 amps multiplied by 13.5 volts and you get enough watts to make them hot.

These solenoids should be considered normal routine maintenance replacements. I just wish I could help people understand that after 40 years of replacing tens of thousands of these in my business. They work hard and are just simple mechanical switches that endure incredible hardships. They are inexpensive in the RV world. Just think of them like changing an oil filter. Cheap and worth the preventative maintenance. You pay me now or later. If you let the solenoids go they will fail but often in subtle ways and can create amazing symptoms on the RV systems.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Absolutely normal for these solenoids. They draw 1-1.5 amps multiplied by 13.5 volts and you get enough watts to make them hot.

These solenoids should be considered normal routine maintenance replacements. I just wish I could help people understand that after 40 years of replacing tens of thousands of these in my business. They work hard and are just simple mechanical switches that endure incredible hardships. They are inexpensive in the RV world. Just think of them like changing an oil filter. Cheap and worth the preventative maintenance. You pay me now or later. If you let the solenoids go they will fail but often in subtle ways and can create amazing symptoms on the RV systems.
What do they do?
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:37 AM   #5

After replacing my overheated solenoid exactly one year later, I came across a thread on this forum that suggested wiring a #89 bulb in series. Low resistance when cold to pick up the coil with full voltage and voltage reduced to 8 volts to hold in the coil. To date 4 months of continuous service working well for me.

What do they do?....various uses...join the house and chassis batteries for charging...connect the house batteries to the house load.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:10 AM   #6
YC1

A solenoid/relay is a simple device that uses an electromagnet to short contacts together. They use a control voltage or/and ground to energize and that brings the contacts together to join two circuits such as batteries or to turn on systems.

They are an electronic control valve. If you put an inline valve on a water hose this is what they do. They are just electrically controlled.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for info harris 155 and YC1. I didn't recognize the name or what they looked like as compared to my coach. I have a Big Boy isolater in my coach that serves that same function (I think).
Old 04-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Thank you for info harris 155 and YC1. I didn't recognize the name or what they looked like as compared to my coach. I have a Big Boy isolater in my coach that serves that same function (I think).
I may be confused, but I think the big boy solenoid serves a different function. From what I understand, it controls the charging voltage to the batteries. When plugged into shore power, it charges the house battery, then when they have a full charge, it sends the charge to the chassis battery.

Those two smaller solenoids control the voltage to the chassis and house systems. If they are not energized, the chassis or house won't have 12 volts to power the systems like lights, fridge etc.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I may be confused, but I think the big boy solenoid serves a different function. From what I understand, it controls the charging voltage to the batteries. When plugged into shore power, it charges the house battery, then when they have a full charge, it sends the charge to the chassis battery.

Those two smaller solenoids control the voltage to the chassis and house systems. If they are not energized, the chassis or house won't have 12 volts to power the systems like lights, fridge etc.
Got it! Thank you.

Tags
solenoid