RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Post Converting Carefree of Colorado awning to electric arms

I have a 2005 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40 PBT with manual Carefree of Colorado awnings. For some reason this coach came from the factory with manual awnings.

Well its time to convert to electric awnings. I called Carefree of Colorado and spoke with customer support. The person I spoke with was very helpful.
I have two options, either Eclipse or Travel'r. Either will fit so that is not an issue.
Specifics:
Eclipse: (prices are approximate retail)
---- 70" arms 4.5" wide
---- Arms $1250
---- Direct response system $522 (senses wind speed)
---- Key fob for remote $225
Travel'r
---- 67" arms 3.5" wide
---- Arms $895
---- Direct Response $100 (senses movement).
Both are available for less thru sources online.

I have searched the forum for differences, etc and am still wondering which way to go. Looking for opinions so the question is: Which set of arms would you install and why? I am concerned about the look of the arms (3.5" vs. 4.5" wide). Experience with either set of arms would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
cpr_vbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I have no experience with Carefree awnings so I cannot comment on the product.
However, when retro fitting, my input would be to be sure to cover the old arm footprint on the side of the coach. If you don't, it will show and may or may not be acceptable to you. I would not spend a dime extra for the wind sensor. None of them are reliable in the long term. Learn to be cautious and roll it up if it looks like the wind is picking up. I suspect you have already learned that with your current configuration.
I would get the remote. we find it handy at our house...
Just to keep everybody honest, did you compare dimensions and pricing with A&E? I would before you write any checks...
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would question which one will be discontinued first. If you search the forums which ones come up with the most problems.

I have a One-Touch of Colorado and it is a discontinued product. I had problems with mine within a year of buying the 2002 Windsor, this was in 2009. The awning caught wind and it bent one of the arms. Since it is discontinued there were no replacements but I was able to straighten mine good enough to work. My wife and I are so paranoid of the awning we hardly ever use it.

If I had to change I was considering the Eclipse since this is what is mounted on most of the motorhomes, but I am holding out as long as I can.

We had a manual A&E awning on our Class C that we loved and it was very durable. It was left out in all sorts of weather and never had a problem.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had no luck with Carefree, I found them not very cooperative if you have a problem, they're harder to install and as far as buying them they wanted me to work through a dealer with no direct orders.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
never mind. I didnt catch you posted the list price of the travl'r.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #6

cpr vpg
If I had the choice, I would go back to a manual awning. The only advantage I see to an electric awning is that I cannot bang my head on the arms. Electric awnings cannot be tied down, cannot be tilted sufficiently to allow them to be left out during a rain and are often so high up they hardly provide any shade. Why go there?
Old 12-25-2014, 11:16 PM   #7

Love my manual to.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:30 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would also stick with a manual awning. We are on our third motorhome and the first two had manual awnings, one Carefree and the other A&E. The present coach has the Carefree Eclipse and I just cannot see enough benefits in the automatic awning over a manual. The auto is full of limitations IMO. If you have a four slide coach or a coach with a slide under the awning, you can't tilt the awning much so it is pretty useless for rain protection. It provides little shade. The hardware on the automatics is not as sturdy as the manuals and they are much more wind 'sensitive and fragile'. The only real advantage I can see to the automatic awnings is they are easy to deploy and retract.

If I was in your shoes, I would get a new manual awning. We could deploy our previous manual awnings, tie them down if it was windy, and really get the full benefit of shade and rain protection. My personal preference would be A&E over Carefree.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
I've had no luck with Carefree, I found them not very cooperative if you have a problem, they're harder to install and as far as buying them they wanted me to work through a dealer with no direct orders.
Same results here, Carefree customer service is terrible.

Tags
awning, colorado