Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #15

Norcold conversion 120v ac

My 2000 Monaco Dynasty 1200LRIM fridge quit. Lasted 20yrs. Smelled ammonia. It’s toast. Decided to go with the JC Refrideration ac unit conversation. Had a few questions that answered on the phone.
In order to run this off the inverter while traveling or boondocking, the fridge receptacle has to come off the fridge breaker and moved into the inverter panel. Unless you want to run the generator. Did this with a jumper wire to the inverter panel. Breakers were full and no room to add one so doubled up with the washer/dryer circuit 20 amp breaker. (Won’t overload. Only uses less than an amp. )
Looking forward to delivery of unit and completed installation.
Should be a lot of fun. LOL
FastHobie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If the Norcold 1200 has adequate capacity for you then I would recommend the compressor-type cooling unit from JC Refrigeration. It's really easy to change it out without the hassle of making a residential unit fit, and you have all the advantages of a residential. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHobie16 View Post
My 2000 Monaco Dynasty 1200LRIM fridge quit. Lasted 20yrs. Smelled ammonia. It’s toast. Decided to go with the JC Refrideration ac unit conversation. Had a few questions that answered on the phone.
In order to run this off the inverter while traveling or boondocking, the fridge receptacle has to come off the fridge breaker and moved into the inverter panel. Unless you want to run the generator. Did this with a jumper wire to the inverter panel. Breakers were full and no room to add one so doubled up with the washer/dryer circuit 20 amp breaker. (Won’t overload. Only uses less than an amp. )
Looking forward to delivery of unit and completed installation.
Should be a lot of fun. LOL
Jumping a 15 amp circuit to a 20 amp breaker is unsafe and against code.

The 20 amp circuit is wired with 12 gauge wire, while the 15 amp circuit is wired with 14 gauge wire.

In the event of a short, at it near the fridge outlet, the 14 gauge wire may overheat and become a fire hazard, before the 20 amp breaker trips.

The quick fix is to swap in a 15 amp breaker to that position, but not knowing the amp draw of your washer, it may not handle the load.

Can you use double mini breakers in you panel ?
If you can, swap out the 20 amp washer one for a 15/20 double breaker.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:46 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert T View Post
I believe my Norcold is starting to fail. The unit is a 2004 model and I am having to run the refrigerator at level 7 when it is 75 degrees outside. Any warmer weather I have to set the refrigerator at 9 and put ice inside the freezer.

Has anyone converted their Norcold 1200 to JC Refrigeration conversion to function as a residential refrigerator using the 12 Volt Compressor and related coils.

JC refrigeration also makes new coils that are larger than the standard Norcold coils and the ice cream will get hard.

Products | JC Refrigeration
Converted mine to JC a year ago and very happy with it.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cvx20 View Post
Mine died and I installed a Samsung RF18, 18 cubic feet. It is the best mod I have done. I'll never go back to a Nevercold. $4000 vs $1000 and six more cubic ft. That's 33% more space and the bottom freezer is great. Wife loves it. I mounted mine on the floor of my Monaco Windsor 40PST. Then built an upper cabinet and door out of the old one. I got the ideas from zmotorsports in this forum. iRV2 Forums - View Profile: zmotorsports
Did you install it yourself ?
motormama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:30 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Just completed a changeover on our Norcold 1200, as well. Made some improvements to the wiring along the way, for eliminating the spaghetti ball to make it neater and more professional looking. Took my time with it all, since I wasn't able to work non stop on it, anyway.
Ordered the 120vac compressor type kit, which runs well on my MSW inverter.
Plugged in the pass thru inverter outlet in the back which we were using for the old absorb-ion unit, also. No need for the other shore power only outlet and especially now, with this energy efficient unit.
Initial test was for the 9 setting while empty, which brought the freezer temp down to -5F and the fridge close to freezing.
Anxious to see it's performance, when loaded and out on the road for a few days.
Overall, we're happy with it and for the simplest and most economical way to do a conversation and just as long as you're happy with 12cu ft of space.
Can't really see the need for any more, since there's always a store around and no good reason to keep food any longer than you have to.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Just completed a changeover on our Norcold 1200, as well. Made some improvements to the wiring along the way, for eliminating the spaghetti ball to make it neater and more professional looking. Took my time with it all, since I wasn't able to work non stop on it, anyway.
Ordered the 120vac compressor type kit, which runs well on my MSW inverter.
Plugged in the pass thru inverter outlet in the back which we were using for the old absorb-ion unit, also. No need for the other shore power only outlet and especially now, with this energy efficient unit.
Initial test was for the 9 setting while empty, which brought the freezer temp down to -5F and the fridge close to freezing.
Anxious to see it's performance, when loaded and out on the road for a few days.
Overall, we're happy with it and for the simplest and most economical way to do a conversation and just as long as you're happy with 12cu ft of space.
Can't really see the need for any more, since there's always a store around and no good reason to keep food any longer than you have to.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thank You and I thought I did a pretty nice job for the first time around, if I do say so for myself. Hopefully and most likely, it'll be for my only time, as well.
Just when I have a little experience now.....lol
I failed to mention that this was a JC Refrigeration conversion for the Norcold, which might have confused some, as to what was used. It comes in complete kit form and they provide tech support, if you require it, above the online and supplied instructions.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Thank You and I thought I did a pretty nice job for the first time around, if I do say so for myself. Hopefully and most likely, it'll be for my only time, as well.
Just when I have a little experience now.....lol
I failed to mention that this was a JC Refrigeration conversion for the Norcold, which might have confused some, as to what was used. It comes in complete kit form and they provide tech support, if you require it, above the online and supplied instructions.
Yep, Jr. is a great guy to deal with!
Old 03-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #24

Just installed the 120volt coil on my 1200 LRIM. Did the job myself. Took planning and was well supported by JC. This unit is really cool. Pun intended. First run at setting #8. Freezer was -7 and lower box was 32 deg. 4 or 5 settings should work better. Still working on the right temp. Much better cooling than the old absorption coil. JC Refrideration answers email and calls fast. They are good folks.
Jim Gates
2000 Monaco Dynasty.
FastHobie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #25

I would like to do this also, but I don't think l have enough room between the back of my fridge and the access/vent panel.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I would like to do this also, but I don't think l have enough room between the back of my fridge and the access/vent panel.
It fits in the same space as your stock unit.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
It fits in the same space as your stock unit.
Yes, but the compressor sits behind the fridge between it and the outer wall.
There is a minimum distance needed for the compressor. I think it is 8 inches and I don't think I have that much room. I'm closer to 5-6 inches. (That's what she said)
Old 03-26-2020, 10:27 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I would call JC...they can figure it out for you. I have the 12 volt model. I love it.

Tags
norcold