Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #1

Coolant Change

The coolant is our Dynasty is the coolant with the green tint. We would like to change to the pink ELC. The filter ordered is the Fleetguard 2071. It has 4 units of dca4. After reading some of the old threads, I'm a little confused. A couple of questions. Should we do some sort of chemical flush to clean out all the old stuff. ? Do we need a filter with the dca4 or should we purchase a different filter? Is 11 gallons of the ELC sufficient for the change? Thanks for all y'alls help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #2

From an article I wrote many years ago:

Cooling System 101
I just changed out my coolant and replaced all water hoses and belts. Thought I would share the experience.

Coolant needs to be changed per manufacturer’s instructions (usually every 3 years for regular low silicate for diesel with added SCA coolant). Additionally the SCA, pH and freeze point need to be checked on regular intervals using SCA test strips and SCA added as needed. The test strips are inexpensive and easy to use. When either the time lapses (time starts when coolant is installed in cooling system, NOT when purchased) or testing reveals an out-of-line conditions like pH or freeze point, it is time to change it. You can avoid all the testing and SCA adding, and go to 6 year change intervals by going to an Extended Life Coolant and get better cooling system protection as well. Whichever coolant you choose, most of the steps are the same. The job is reasonably time consuming TO DO RIGHT, but low-tech.

The new-generation OAT-based coolants such as Caterpillar ELC and Fleetguard ES Complet-OAT have a longer life-- generally in the 6 year range with no testing or adding of extenders unless over 300,000 miles have been driven. A big problem with these excellent coolants-- lots of techs are not chemists-- they see a coolant filter and automatically run grab a filter-- often with units of SCA. This is a good idea for the regular low silicate coolants, but are just a contaminant to OAT-based coolants.

OK, so you are going to change coolant. First step is to determine your total cooling system capacity. Your chassis maker or coach maker, not your engine manufacturer is the proper source. Then buy enough coolant (concentrate, not pre-dilute) to make up 50% of that volume. If going back with a coolant that requires additional SCA, purchase that as well. Also purchase 1.5 times system capacity of distilled water for a final flush plus final fill (50%). Also a good idea to change the engine thermostat and thermostat gasket as these are a wearing component and it involves very little more work while you are there. I know Caterpillar recommends thermostat (they call them regulators) every 3 years.

Turn dash heater to full hot for the rest of the procedure—fan off. With the engine cold or at least cool, drain coolant. On some, there is a drain cock. On others, pull the lower radiator hose. Two Rubbermade 10 gallon storage bin lined with black trash sacks so they don’t get dirty work well. At the end of the whole process, use a coffee can and funnel to pour old coolant into new coolant/water containers for recycling. Our city maintenance shop recycles coolant for free.

Refill cooling system with tap water. IMPORTANT: Be sure to remove any air lock from the thermostat housing. Some systems have a hose set up for this—on ours I just loosen the coolant line to the air pump and bleed the air out. Allow engine to warm up (using the cruise control to select idle speed of 1,000-1,100 speeds this up). Run for about 10 minutes after regular temperature is reached. If the temp gauge does not rise as normal, you likely have an air block and need to bleed the thermostat housing. Allow engine to cool 20-30 minutes and drain again. Repeat until the effluent color is clear.

At this point, if this is the first coolant change on a 2-3 year old coach and you are not changing coolant brands/types, skip right to “Last rinse”. For older systems, contaminated systems or when switching types of coolant, add a Cooling System Cleaner. Follow the directions. Run, allow engine to cool, drain and again flush until effluent is clear. The flushing is markedly sped up by pulling off the heater hose (usually 5/8” to ¾” lines) going to dash heater/motor-aid water heater, etc from the water pump. Put a hose nozzle in the hose and let it run until it comes out clear. Run the engine to temperature at least once with tap water.

If your hoses are over 5-6 years old, this is a good time to change them as well (before last rinse). Same for thermostat(s).
Last rinse is with distilled water. At $.85/gal at Walmart, it is silly to skip this step and leave your system full of high-mineral content water (there will be several gallons of residual water that you can not easily remove). Run engine for 10 minutes after getting to operating temperature. Cool and drain. Also drain and flush your coolant overflow container and refill with new coolant/distilled water.

Add the proper amount of Coolant CONCENTRATE (NOT PRE-DILUTE) to make 50% of cooling system capacity. So for a cooling system with 20 gallons capacity, add 10 gallons of Coolant CONCENTRATE (plus 1/2 overflow container capacity). Top off with distilled water to achieve your 50/50 mixture—it doesn’t matter if you only have to add 1 gallon or 10 of distilled water, you KNOW you have the proper 50/50 mixture.

This is also a good time to clean the OUTSIDE of the radiator/after-cooler whether you have rear or side radiator. On rear radiator, most if the debris will be on the FRONT of the after-cooler (accessed from under the bed). On side radiators, most debris is on the outside of the after-cooler (side of coach). If it is just dirt, a hose and regular nozzle is all you need. If greasy or oily, use Joy liquid (dish washing detergent) in a spray bottle. Be SURE to rinse it off completely. You need to insure that the perimeter is as clean as the center. Ya, I know it is easier to see the center, but the fan blades "sling" the dirt to the perimeter.

Check belts while you are in there.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:02 PM   #3

Brett, thanks for the extensive write up on the changing of the coolant. You included excellent recommendations for changing hoses and the thermostat. Yes, we are changing to an OAT coolant. The coolant purchased was already mixed 50 x50. The filter we purchased has dca4+. From your explanation I would assume that was the wrong filter to purchase, please advise. See attached photo please. Is this the location of the thermostat on an 8.3 isc?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	334085  
Old 06-29-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Once you go with OAT, you need a WF2122 which has no SCAs. That is where the thermostat sits.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I changed my coolant, I used Peak Final Charge

First flush the old antifreeze from your system. Make sure to turn on the dash heat and aqua heat to enable the old coolant in the heater hoses to be circulated out. This may take 2-3 cycles and for this I used regular tap water. For the final flush, I used distilled water. I bought 2 gallons of the Concentrate Final Charge, and after the flushing was good, I added the concentrate (2 Gallons) to the system, as there is always some water left behind in the system after draining. Then I added the 50/50 mixture of Final Charge to fill the rest of the system. Make sure to change your coolant filter to a non SCA filter.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote