Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2022, 03:43 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I bought my upper and lower from this place made out of stainless steel.

https://www.southpointeradiator.com/...=coolant-tubes
Busnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2022, 10:19 PM   #16

EDIT can't delete ..
Went back read snarky remark .....removed post.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:35 AM   #17

There are radiator supply shops that sell the pipes ready made. There are others that will make stainless if you send them a sample. Go to any truck stop and pick up a trucck trader magazine. free. They advertise in those mags. A decent rad shop should have a catalog of the parts. Stainless is overkill.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:39 AM   #18

https://bhtubes.com/
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
There are radiator supply shops that sell the pipes ready made. There are others that will make stainless if you send them a sample. Go to any truck stop and pick up a trucck trader magazine. free. They advertise in those mags. A decent rad shop should have a catalog of the parts. Stainless is overkill.
Thanks for the input. I have a viable solution with TwoMed's answer. Yours is good but I have been to a few local Radiator and muffler shops and they won't touch it or offer to sell pipe I want. SS is a good fit for the application. I am sure it is overkill, but then I won't have this issue in 12 years.

Just to educate you, SS304 is a product exhaust shops sell and in good conditions will last but the material doesn't have molybdenum that is added to 316 to help resist corrosion to chlorides (like sea water and de-icing salts) we encounter here in the PNW. So the system I am overkilling isn't truly bullet proof... but salt resistant.
seand1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #20

Custom muffler shop best bet

I did not go stainless, as there were metal pipes on our 2003 Ambassador (Cummins 8.3 ISC) This shop has been around for 25 years, did the two pipes I needed (upper and lower) for $75. I brought them the originals and they bent and cut them. I did however, have a local truck repair mechanic remove and install them, ended up being $1100. Will never call him again, left me hanging all last Summer.
VTRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:58 PM   #21

Send a message via MSN to e4services
Quote:
Originally Posted by seand1109 View Post
Maybe the ones made 15 years ago but not 12. Thanks for playing... Come back when you have a constructive idea please.
i have an '06 Dynasty, ISL Cummins. The one big coolant tube from the top of the engine and a fitting I could see, a magnet sticks. Not like 400 series SS but as if they are galvanized steel for they are aluminum in color where the black paint came off. As for a long hose as you have considered, I have that too. From my reservoir, upper right, a six foot hose runs down across the front of the engine and down to a fitting below the side radiator, which the magnet stuck too.
Want a picture?
If you want to make a SS pipe to replace, you would use 300 series SS for its lack of ferrous, corrosion resistant, not a ferrous SS like 440 or 416
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:50 PM   #22

Had same problem for my Zanzibar.

After trying to get help from Monaco and getting prices of replacement pipes I went to a truck salvage location. Truck dismantlers do not have use for the hundreds of steel cooling pipes they remove from dismantling. I found a couple pipes that were very close took them home cut and marked to duplicate old pipe. Took to muffler shop and had Pices welded together. Cost $50.00 for welding. Six years 56,000 miles 49 states and still working great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seand1109 View Post
Got a rusted out coolant pipe on our 08 Beaver Contessa. trying to replace it but have had no luck finding a new one. Ya I called the Beaver folks in Bend... Well, they were no help, could only tell me they would have to have a local vender make one and mark up the price they pay for it. Been to a few muffler places and fabricators and finally found 2 that can make the pipe and it aint cheap.

My questions are

1) Is the pipe really needed or could I replace it with a longer hose?
2) Anyone been down this road and can lend some insight to a vendor on line that can supply the pipe?
xdieselbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:44 AM   #23

All of the exhaust pipe that is made into exhaust systems is aluminized steel. Extremely corrosion resistant. Find out where the local hot rod or car guys get their exhaust systems done. This is a pretty simple fix.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:04 PM   #24

Hi to all reading this post. On my previous 2000 Monaco Windsor and my current 2001 Monaco Windsor, I painted the 2 lower coolant tubes with Hammarite paint over rust paint. The coolant tubes just had surface rust on them. Did not clean off surface rust and just painted over. So far so good. Of course if tubes are rusted through, that would be another issue for replacement. Found the paint at local hardware store. Here in western Washington I bought the paint at McLendon's hardware. This took very little time and very little cost. Hope this info helps!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:15 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I refinished ours on a 2004 Camelot. They were pitted pretty good but solid none the less. I wire wheel buffed them clean then put a few cans of some good paint on them. Changing out the hangars, which ironically were old school muffler clamps, we're almost impossible to change. By far it was the most difficult task to date on the RV. I would hope it will last the rest of the life of the RV for us. The inside of the pipes were spotless though. No rust at all. I believe as long as you run good coolant there should never be any rust I side the pipes.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4services View Post
i have an '06 Dynasty, ISL Cummins. The one big coolant tube from the top of the engine and a fitting I could see, a magnet sticks. Not like 400 series SS but as if they are galvanized steel for they are aluminum in color where the black paint came off. As for a long hose as you have considered, I have that too. From my reservoir, upper right, a six foot hose runs down across the front of the engine and down to a fitting below the side radiator, which the magnet stuck too.
Want a picture?
If you want to make a SS pipe to replace, you would use 300 series SS for its lack of ferrous, corrosion resistant, not a ferrous SS like 440 or 416
Thanks for the offer of the photo but will pass.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:29 PM   #27

Got it back together and on the road... Neighbor TIG welded the pipe I bought on line. Luckced out and NAPA had a sale on CAT antifreeze at about half price. Just waiting on the hammer rite paint to put the finishing touches on it.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:27 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Old School Muffler clamps on Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
I refinished ours on a 2004 Camelot. They were pitted pretty good but solid none the less. I wire wheel buffed them clean then put a few cans of some good paint on them. Changing out the hangars, which ironically were old school muffler clamps, we're almost impossible to change. By far it was the most difficult task to date on the RV. I would hope it will last the rest of the life of the RV for us. The inside of the pipes were spotless though. No rust at all. I believe as long as you run good coolant there should never be any rust I side the pipes.
BigLar
any suggestions on how to remove those muffler clamps, mine are welded on with minimal room to grind off. What did you replace with? Thanks Dblduke
dblduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose