Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Coolant Overflow Tank

2003 Dipl. Had a small leak in my plastic radiator overflow container. Temp fix was some j weld. Monaco Inc sold me a new nylon container. Looks just like the old one except, its fiberglass (good) Its got two extra holes (bad) What I mean is, it has the hole for the radiator cap. It has the threaded hole for the sensor. Hole at bottom for the large hose. The two smaller threaded holes for the two top hoses AND its got the same similar 2 threaded holes on the front. Apparently the extra holes are for either a vertical or horizontal placement. Mine is going to be vertical, same as the old plastic one.

The problem. Can't seem to find the threaded nylon plugs for the the extra two holes. This container is similar to a Ford product and even has a Ford part number assigned (Not embossed on container) Ford didn't have the part. I double checked with Monaco about the extra two holes. Parts guy wasn't sure. Says its the right one though. (same dimensions)

Anyone buy a new nylon container from Monaco? Did it have the 2 extra threaded holes? What did you you plug them with? or where did you buy them? Is there a Ford part number I can use? Thanks
Galvanizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Use brass or nylon plugs.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You should be able to figure out the size and thread for the hole then go to a good hardware store and find the right one. If it is pipe thread then look in the plumbing section if they are SAE thread then look in the Nuts and Bolts section.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #4

Sounds like another good job for JB Weld if you can't find the right fitting.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #5

1) take the tank to a real hardware store. I've found there are "easy SKU" hardware stores that stock stuff that sells easy, and real hardware stores. The real store will have old guys, and they'll know something about hardware and have some in stock. The fake joints are staffed w/kids that sell seasonal stuff and just enough hardware that comes in packets to keep paying rent on the premises, and the kids have a hard time knowing which end of the nail to hit their head on. Find a real hardware store and ask one of the old guys; show him the tank.
2) before installing the tank, paint it. That is probably why the first one failed- UV degradation. If not painted, make a cover of some type to keep the sun off the tank (and any other plastic junque that fries in the sun). If your tank isn't visible thru a rear grille, then I'm nuts and disregard #2.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Based on the service I have received I would recommend a ACE hardware store. Most are locally owned and will staffed.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
rex

Monaco Owners Club
What is the Ford part number of the tank you received?

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll check with an ACE hardware and one other place I just remembered.

Didn't want to Mickey Mouse it....................... yet, was hoping there was an actual part that 's supposed to go in there.

Part number is//////// Monaco Part #01806583////////for the overflow container
Old 04-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Something I've found useful when confronted with motor home parts that interchange with auto/truck parts is a local auto repair shop.

There is a little auto repair shop in our town where we take the family cars for serviced. They have what appears to be an online subscription-based parts finder.

I've taken parts and part numbers to them and they have looked them up and given me sources for the parts in question.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Galzanizd

FWIW you can get the tank you refer to without those two extra holes drilled. We had a 2007 Endeavor, ISL 400, with a coolant tank with the two holes filled with threaded plugs - they leaked when hot (weeped) and that is a common problem. Our new coach, 2009 Camelot, ISL 425, has the same tank, apparently from the same mold but the two holes are not drilled out in the bosses at that location - so no plugs and no leaks. You might want to see if you can swap for one of the tanks without the holes but if not, then as pointed out fill them with a couple of simple threaded plugs. Use some joint sealant on the plugs but they will leak with time. I second the idea of finding a real hardware store to get the plugs and some advice on a sealing compound.

You also note that your new tank is fiberglass, I am not familiar with fiberglass being used in this application. Must be something new since fiberglass will not ordinarily hold up to the thermal cycling and caustic environment of hot engine coolant.

Hope this is helpful.

Lew
Old 04-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
ixnay on the fiberglassnay. I changed it about 5 minutes after I posted it. The tank is nylon. The holes are high enough that Hopefully they won't weep too much under about 10 pounds of pressure and heat. I believe they are above the coolant line, Thanks for the ideas
Old 04-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Galvanized......I have the same tank and mine has bolts screwed into them, from the factory, to seal the holes. They are below the coolant level, but mine weep all of the time. I removed them and put a bunch of plumbing tape on the bolts, but they still weep. I'll remove them again and use silicone next time.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote