RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
JCussen--agree that it might be time for a CAC inspection but what would I be looking for?....Boost, MPG, and power seem to be in "spec" and no smoke....had CAC rebuilt [new gaskets] about 10 years ago--back then, boost was lower, MPG was off and it was making some smoke on acceleration....Have owned the rig for 17 years and 185K miles so like to think I know when things aren't quite right--like an old pear of slippers??????
Maybe I misspoke, I can only base my experience on the motorhomes and engines I have had, cat 3126, DD series 60, Cummins ISC and ISM's, and from talking to DD and Cummins.
Had Silverleaf and pyrometers on all of them. In the old days, when companies made, or designed, their own chassis, believe radiator, fans and intercooler size were specified by coach manufacturer. So for your chassis and ISL engine, 50 degrees over ambient may be completely normal. These days, believe most DP coach chassis are standard spartan or freightliner design, with only Newell and Prevost still designing and making their own.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Oops, yup your right Joe, it was 20 and sometimes a bit more, not 30 plus. Sorry. I would have bet $100 on 30 but I doubled checked my records and sadly, I was wrong
Windecker

It takes a real man to admit it. I just never admit I am wrong to my wife,,,,
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #45

Jcussen--to the contrary--I appreciate you thoughts on this. Most of my knowledge is anecdotal on Cummins performance specs....My Alpine DP has a proprietary chassis that was designed in close coordination with Cummins Northwest reps....my early model ISL has a fixed/dump gate turbo--with 22-23PSI max boost, later ISLs have a variable pitch turbo and believe max boost is in the low to mid-30s. Our travel club is pretty techie so what I know was learned collectively thru the group.
As mentioned, it is very hard to recreate the CEL/high intake temp situation [eg winter in Van Horn TX] but I will pay more attention to the intake temps on the SilverLeaf [one of the default displays on my SL screen] to see how it tracks under normal ops--that is once we get back on the road....safe travels
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:57 PM   #46

Joe - yes - I do have more power - hard to say exactly how much, but definitely more. - I'll get a better idea next time we go on a trip with the trailer - not sure when that will be.

Windecker, yes I pressure tested the CAC prior to install too - I actually have a test kit - can't remember the pressure - just followed the directions. It was nice and tight after the re-core ( By CG&J / Brice Thomas) As you noted I have a non wastegate turbo, and the same mechanical boost gauge - however I do have a Silverleaf VMSPC, and I am seeing the same numbers on it. Maybe that billet wheel has helped too.

One thing this thread, particularly Old Scout and Jcussen have made me think about - I have the intake temp displayed on the Silverleaf, but I honestly haven't paid that much attention to it. Ambient air temp is not on the list of available parameters on the silverleaf - but I believe it has the ability to monitor any PID loop in the ECM - and I have a Celect plus ECM wiring diagram that shows an ambient air temp sensor - though I have not run across one - I wonder if it is possible to monitor that and/or the delta between ambient and manifold. Going to have to research that a bit more.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Averill View Post
Joe - yes - I do have more power - hard to say exactly how much, but definitely more. - I'll get a better idea next time we go on a trip with the trailer - not sure when that will be.

Windecker, yes I pressure tested the CAC prior to install too - I actually have a test kit - can't remember the pressure - just followed the directions. It was nice and tight after the re-core ( By CG&J / Brice Thomas) As you noted I have a non wastegate turbo, and the same mechanical boost gauge - however I do have a Silverleaf VMSPC, and I am seeing the same numbers on it. Maybe that billet wheel has helped too.

One thing this thread, particularly Old Scout and Jcussen have made me think about - I have the intake temp displayed on the Silverleaf, but I honestly haven't paid that much attention to it. Ambient air temp is not on the list of available parameters on the silverleaf - but I believe it has the ability to monitor any PID loop in the ECM - and I have a Celect plus ECM wiring diagram that shows an ambient air temp sensor - though I have not run across one - I wonder if it is possible to monitor that and/or the delta between ambient and manifold. Going to have to research that a bit more.

I don't believe that I get a reading on ambient air although I know it shows a mode for it. I believe mine always shows 0. Be nice to hook it up. I will follow along with your discussion.

joe
Old 04-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #48

Can anyone clarify what the VMSPC shows that the Aladdin does not for the DD?
I have always wondered if my intake temp is spiking just given the way the coach feels in certain situations. It might be I need a small tweak to my fan settings?
That said, my coolant temps are consistently low, always. Somewhere between 174-185 depending on altitude and OAT.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Averill View Post

RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #49

cooling fan

Hi windecker, I seem to have a similar situation. I replaced my wax valve and went with oat coolant, and my temperature (aladdin) stays between 181 & 185.
Same as before.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #50

Don't know about the aladdin, but the VMSPC will read manifold inlet air temp on the DDEC 3 . My series 60 would vary between 180 and 200 water temps, but I had the 2 speed fan.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
If you look at a Prevost the side radiator vanes run up and down and face forward...so they did.

Yes, and there are others not in the $$$ Prevo$t $$$ league that make their side radiator fins to force at least some air toward the radiator. Our previous Allegro Bus didn't, but our current Anthem does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	281811   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	281812  

Click image for larger version

Name:	EC2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	281813  
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Yes, and there are others not in the $$$ Prevo$t $$$ league that make their side radiator fins to force at least some air toward the radiator. Our previous Allegro Bus didn't, but our current Anthem does.

Yes. That's what I am talking about.

joe
Old 04-16-2020, 10:02 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
I don't believe that I get a reading on ambient air although I know it shows a mode for it. I believe mine always shows 0. Be nice to hook it up. I will follow along with your discussion.

joe
Well - As near as I can figure, there is no sensor installed - at least on mine - for ambient air temperature. On quickserve, it shows a bracket with the note " for customer installed ambient air temperature sensor" - The diagram I had that showed one was off a aftermarket repair site - the schematics for my coach do not show one. And, I found an old thread on here where someone else looking for one was told Monaco didn't start installing them until 2007. I think I'll leave well enough alone...
Old 04-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Can anyone clarify what the VMSPC shows that the Aladdin does not for the DD?
I have always wondered if my intake temp is spiking just given the way the coach feels in certain situations. It might be I need a small tweak to my fan settings?
That said, my coolant temps are consistently low, always. Somewhere between 174-185 depending on altitude and OAT.
Windecker
I can't answer that - but, I would suggest you go ahead and download the VMSPC software from Silverleaf https://www.silverleafelectronics.co....com/index.php
- it is free, it is the dongle, cables etc. that you have to purchase to make it all work. After you have the software loaded, you can load your engine profile, and look through the list to see what it will monitor. I am unfamiliar with the Alladdin, so I'm not sure what the options are with it.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:12 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
The sensor that I seen is a coil sticking out of a electrical box in open air on the engine side of the rads. I will get a picture of it. Looks like it would sense engine compartment heat.

joe

Here is the picture of this mystery sensor,,,,Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7095.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	281879 what is it for?
Old 04-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #56

Thanks Kurt, great idea, did not know I could do that.

Joe, no clue what that is for. I have not seen that on my 99 Sig or 05 Exec.
Windecker
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling