Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 07:00 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The BBOY knows when to engage but doesn’t know when to disconnect. Some serious boondockers put a switch on one of the green wires to save on the amps holding it engaged when dry camping.

I should have added above that only half of the studs/contacts is used...you can turn them around if seriously pitted instead of replacing..
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #58

If it doesn't disconnect why not just get rid of it? I'm almost positive it used to disconnect. But a switch is not a bad idea, it's annoying some nights on shore power. I already have my own ringing in my ears, I don't need any extra, lol A switch on f1 (fuse 1) would do it, the lower fuse kills mine, it's on the volts coach leg of the 5 wire plug coming in, red wire next to the black. I'm thinking it's not supposed to be hot or a diode in the bird brain burnt out.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #59

This post is correct with mine , at between 12.5 to 12.6 on both battery banks the big boy dropped out. All seems to function as designed. I just never have been off grid long enough to learn it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Once the BIRD closes the BIg Boy at 13.4 volts, it will stay closed at lower voltages. Its possable that the voltage reached the close threshold right after startup, with out you noticing it.

Its explained here if you can read it.Attachment 246377
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:37 PM   #60

now hear this.. an update..

So folks, I had my alternator replaced with a rebuilt from a reputable shop in Auburn, NY. This Leese-Neville model has an adjustable regulator. So we asked them to set it at 14.2 volts. Next I took the RV to our summer cottage where I have an 50 Amp, 240 volt electrical station identical to what we see in RV parks. It has been plugged in for two weeks and when I went there Saturday I checked the Aladdin and I have 14 volts showing in all my batteries. So at this time my Big Boy must be functioning correctly. When the shop replaced the alternator they (of course) cleaned the cable ends etc. My conclusion is that my alternator was not up to specification. Also to be considered is that I have a 5 Amp battery maintainer connected to my chassis batteries. I think I will turn that off to see if the Big Boy is maintaining the chassis batteries through the shore line and the inverter circuitry. Also, if it ever stops raining in Upstate NY, I will check the voltages right at the batteries. If this information helps any others it will have been worth the effort.
bpperk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:44 PM   #61

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Was it cold out?
14.0V is a little high for float charging this time of year.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #62

Talking

It is never warm enough in Upstate NY. The temp was about 60 degreed F. when I read the Aladdin. I still need to check at the batteries. Brad
Old 06-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #63
YC1

Do check the voltage at the batteries for sure. And that small charger may overdo things and actually confuse the onboard charger if both are actually connected to each other via the big solenoid.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:16 AM   #64

Battery Voltage

With shore line turned off and engine off, both batteries show 13.42 volts. With engine running the voltages are 14.0 volts. System is working properly. Alternator was the defective piece of this puzzle.