Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 09:47 AM   #1

Correct engine oil

Paperwork from Cummins that came with the new to us 07 Monaco ISL 400 reads “use high quality SAE 15-40 heavy duty oil”. I’ve read here that some use a blend or full synthetic. I use full synthetic for our much newer family vehicles-was thinking I would do the same for the MH. Was synthetic even used back in 07?

The engine was serviced before delivery to me but I don’t know what was used. Guess I should have asked or specified but this is my first DP. There was an engine, trans, coolant analysis done for the engine and gen set before purchase-no issues.

At the annual service, can I, should I go to synthetic? The engine has 75,000 mile, runs great.

Thank you!!
GDGorsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 09:55 AM   #2

Yes, synthetic was used back even earlier than that. The RV manufacture was saving $20 per 100 gallons most likely is all.

It's your rig and do what you wish, personally, I've always switched over to fully synthetic as soon as I own a rig. There are people who swear by dino oil too though the stats & tests over the many decades it's been around (1960's) point to synthetic as being better for your engine long term.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:58 AM   #3

Cummins , does not discourage the use of synthetic motor oil , but does say that using synthetic does not extend the service interval .
Old 10-19-2021, 10:06 AM   #4

With annual oil changes, unless you plan to drive more than recommended change interval miles, you do not need a synthetic.

An oil-related engine failure in your engine is virtually unheard of.

Very well respected choices available everywhere (including Walmart, etc):

Shell Rotella T 15-40
Delo 400 15-40

Like you, I use full synthetic in my cars, but "regular" oil in all my diesels. But only thing you will loose by using a synthetic or synthetic blend is some bills from your wallet.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
In no particular order...
Delo 400 15/40
Shell Rotella T15/40
Mobil Delvac 15/40
All good choices for conventional diesel motor oil.
My opinion of full synthetic in diesels mirrors Wolfe10, no real benefits.
Stick to the maintenance schedule in your manual and you'll be fine.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:01 PM   #6

If it takes one more voice to help you make a decision, then I am in full agreement with Wolfe10. For 20 years I have been changing oil on an annual basis (cummins and Onan) and never had an oil related problem. The only oil I ever used is Rotella T-4 15-40. Synthetic would be a waste of money.

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I am a firm believer in synthetic oil as I was an Amsoil dealer in addition to my car business. My coach holds 14 gallons of oil being the Cummins ISX. I service the coach annually and maybe have 7,000 miles on the oil in a year. Cummins says you can use synthetic but not to extend the intervals so with the cost of Amsoil to only get 7,000 miles or a year out of it just didn’t make good financial sense.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
I am a firm believer in synthetic oil as I was an Amsoil dealer in addition to my car business. My coach holds 14 gallons of oil being the Cummins ISX. I service the coach annually and maybe have 7,000 miles on the oil in a year. Cummins says you can use synthetic but not to extend the intervals so with the cost of Amsoil to only get 7,000 miles or a year out of it just didn’t make good financial sense.
Sir,
This is the first mention of Amsoil being used in a Cummins powered coach that I have read. I am hoping to purchase a used DP after the pandemic settles down and was planning on using Amsoil. Likely will be driving 12000 miles per year. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Sir,
This is the first mention of Amsoil being used in a Cummins powered coach that I have read. I am hoping to purchase a used DP after the pandemic settles down and was planning on using Amsoil. Likely will be driving 12000 miles per year. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.
If it weren’t for the cost effectiveness of it for me, I certainly would use it. Their 15/40 diesel oil is a great product. I have sold my coach and gone back to a new fifth wheel and a new Ford F-350 with the Powerstroke diesel. I am getting close for my first oil change on the new pickup and it will have Amsoil put in it for sure. 13 quarts and I put way more miles on a pickup than I did the Motorhome. Randy
Old 10-20-2021, 07:47 AM   #10

Lets see, every engine builder I have ever known, and I've known a few, recommends synthetic oil. Yes it is more expensive but it's demonstrably better oil and I think cheap insurance against engine wear. Yes I know there are folks that have gone hundreds of thousands of mile on dinosaur juice, and that's probably the norm but I also think that there are plenty of other places I'd rather save money than on engine oil. Just my dos centavos.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:56 AM   #11

[QUOTE=Alpine36;5955335]In no particular order...
Delo 400 15/40
Shell Rotella T15/40
Mobil Delvac 15/40
All good choices for conventional diesel motor oil.

All these choices. Personally, I went with what Cummins uses and recommends- Valvoline Blue 15/40.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Lets see, every engine builder I have ever known, and I've known a few, recommends synthetic oil. Yes it is more expensive but it's demonstrably better oil and I think cheap insurance against engine wear. Yes I know there are folks that have gone hundreds of thousands of mile on dinosaur juice, and that's probably the norm but I also think that there are plenty of other places I'd rather save money than on engine oil. Just my dos centavos.
Absolutely demonstrably better. And for somebody planning to get 1M mi out of a diesel engine between overhauls it definitely is cheap insurance. But if your motorhome will only ever go 250k mi in its entire lifetime, it's probably not going to make any measurable difference. IMO... If I had a gas motorhome I would definitely run syn.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 10-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
Absolutely demonstrably better. And for somebody planning to get 1M mi out of a diesel engine between overhauls it definitely is cheap insurance. But if your motorhome will only ever go 250k mi in its entire lifetime, it's probably not going to make any measurable difference. IMO... If I had a gas motorhome I would definitely run syn.
Cheers,
Walter
This ^^^.

Spend the money elsewhere on the coach IMHO. You would just be dumping "down the drain" with every oil change in this case.
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:59 AM   #14

Great information everyone. I now have a plan. Thank You
GDGorsuch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine