RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #1

Couple Questions and Many More to Come

Short History; We just bought a 2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with only 11,000 miles on her and 33 hours on the generator. I use to own a 2003 Kountry Star (Workhorse) and I am familiar with IRV2.

This being my first Diesel I am going to have questions as time goes by....

1. When dumping the air bags do I have to hold the switch until the air pressure goes to 60# or below or do I just hit the button once and let it dump. Also does the key have to be in the ACC position?

2. When leveling is there a way to re-track the levelers with out re-tracking them all?

Being our Endeavor had to have set idle for a long period of time we have issues mostly things needing greasing, oiled, and USED....

We drove from California to Tennessee with no Mechanical Problems at all. I could also use some advice on what I should do to the engine, transmission, and general systems as preventive maintenance...

Thanks for your help........ Lee

2017 Silverado Z-71 Pulling 2017.5 Lance 1985
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Short History; We just bought a 2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with only 11,000 miles on her and 33 hours on the generator. I use to own a 2003 Kountry Star (Workhorse) and I am familiar with IRV2.

This being my first Diesel I am going to have questions as time goes by....

1. When dumping the air bags do I have to hold the switch until the air pressure goes to 60# or below or do I just hit the button once and let it dump. Also does the key have to be in the ACC position?

2. When leveling is there a way to re-track the levelers with out re-tracking them all?

Being our Endeavor had to have set idle for a long period of time we have issues mostly things needing greasing, oiled, and USED....

We drove from California to Tennessee with no Mechanical Problems at all. I could also use some advice on what I should do to the engine, transmission, and general systems as preventive maintenance...

Thanks for your help........ Lee
Lee,

First off what part of Tennessee are you from? We hail from the Knoxville area.

Our coach may be different from yours but the ignition swith has to be either in the on or acc position for the air bags to dump. The dump switch must be held in the depressed position for the air to dump. As I am holding the switch down I keep cycling the air brakes with my foot to get the air pressure below 30 lbs. Make sure you are parked where you want to be before doing this. The park brake will not release once the air pressure is this low. Once we get the air bags dumped we move the ignition to on (I dump in ACC to keep from listening to the alarms) and put the jacks down. Our jacks only work with the ignition on. When we hit the retract button all our jacks come up. I don't know of a way to bring only one jack up on the system we have (Power Gear).

Wow! Only 11,000 miles and 33 hours on the generator. You still don't have that baby broke in yet. What a find!

Bob

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Lee, Bob told you as I would have. I have a 2006 HR Endeavor and that is the way mine works also. First I would either have the coach greased or do it yourself. Check the tires also. If they are more than 6-7 yrs. old or if they have side wall cracks, get new tires put on. It sounds like the rest is working great if you drove it that far and no problems.
Bill
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #4

Bob we are in Portland 30 north of Nashville up I-65 right on the Kentucky boarder near Flying J...

Thanks for the responses. (Great tip about cycling the brake pedal)... I had a sneaking suspicion that I had to hold the DUMP switch and that the levelers operated that way. I am going to crawl all around and grease oil everything I can find that needs it... I am sure I will miss something...

Tires are brand new...

Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #5

Lee,

Did you get any maintenance records? At 11,000 miles there has probably not been much maintenance done.

1. Your Allison tranny had a requirement for a filter change at 5,000 miles. At 9 yrs of age, you should change the tranny fluid & filters. If you intend to keep the coach your should consider a change to Transynd.

2. Engine oil& filter; fuel filters; air filter.

3. Coolant & filter should be changed.

4. Air dryer should be serviced.

5. Chassis lube. Monaco should be able to sent you a chart of lube points and type of lube.

6. Front Wheel bearings serviced.

7. Differential service.

8. Belts and hoses inspected.

9. Generator service including coolant change.

The above items need to be dealt with if you can't document service.

Congratulations on finding a pristine coach. If you establish a good maintenance base line it will serve you well for many years.

Safe travels,
Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #6

No there are no records...... Darn it.....

Thanks Steve I am going to make a list and either do it myself or have it done....Some of the things are going to be out of my league....

Old 03-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
hold the DUMP switch
Put a clothes pin on it. Use same pin under the brake button to keep it from being accidently pushed down.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
No there are no records...... Darn it.....

Thanks Steve I am going to make a list and either do it myself or have it done....Some of the things are going to be out of my league....
Lee,

LewF, another member of this site put me on to SpeedCo. They changed both my fuel filters, my oil and oil filter, checked the differential, and greased all the lube points for a very reasonable price. I did not need the air dryer changed but I believe they can also do that and have them in stock. They did not feel comfortable doing the generator so I did that myself. They handle large trucks and busses all the time and you have one only a few miles away in Kentucky just off Exit 6 on I-65.
Speedco Locations

Check them out,

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #9

Mandys Man thanks that's a GREAT tip .... Now to find one or two clothes pins...

nodine..... Oh DUH Lee... I knew it was there... I will give them a call.... Thanks

Old 03-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
great find on the Endeavor. I am sure you will love it. We live in Tn also with a 2006 Endeavor. I agree with all said on here so far. Once you reset the clocks on all the filters, etc you will have a starting point and feel a lot better about future trips. Enjoy!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Amazing how little some RVs are used ...you are correct in saying your biggest problem is lack of use. For instance, presuming you have an Onan diesel generator, mimimum hours for a 9 year old generator should be 108 if they ran it ONLY to meet the minimum requirement to exercise it 1 hr per month. I would recommend that you ensure ALL fluids, etc have been changed, tire dates are relatively recent, then run the daylights out of everything you can to find what needs some tweaking, lubricating, adjusting, etc.

As a comparison, my '03 coach has 50k miles and the generator has just under 1,000 hours on it ...and everything is working great!
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Hi LeeB
I tripped over this post and found your name, amazing!!
What happened to the 5er?
Glad you are back in a MH and in a pusher. I think if you follow all of the above information and reset the clock on the maintenance items you should be good to go.
Please say hello to the DW and my lovely niece.

Send me a PM on the progress

"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote