Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
From the picture, that crack is more than a surface crack. Part of the sidewall is either pushed out or pushed in quite a bit. It's hard to tell from the picture; looks like 1/4" at least.

If this is on a Monaco with the semi-monocoque chassis (see below), that crack is likely right along a diagonal member of the superstructure. I don't know how that would happen without at least a few welds breaking. If this is on the Monaco RR chassis, not sure what it could be; but it's really bad either way.

I'm with the others who say to tell dealer to fix it first; then tell you when it's fixed. He probably won't.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I would not buy that coach. That crack is not common on Monaco coaches and could be trouble. It would bother me every time I looked at it.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
It would bother me every time I looked at it.
Me too.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
07 Monaco Dynasty 42 Diamond IV

Really to bad, pretty much what we’re looking for!
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #19

Side wall crack

If this was a coach under factory warranty, they would put a new sidewall on it!
No other way to guarantee a permanent fix.
Sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw1 View Post

That is too bad as those are very nice coaches. Far from what I would call normal on a Monaco.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I saw this issue on multiple Monaco built coaches in my year plus of upgrading from 2001 Diplomat to our present 2005 HR Imperial. As someone stated above it is a 90 degree corner which is much more prone to cracking than a radius. That one is quite significant as most I've seen are only a couple or inches. Whether structural or not don't know. Just repairing the sidewall I would think will just crack again. Would be interesting to find out if structural or just cosmetic.
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

You picked a great product ... good news is that there quite a few 06 and 07 Dynastys on the market. You can check rvt.com and rvtrader.com

I believe the HR Imperials of that year are very similar too.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDon View Post
I saw this issue on multiple Monaco built coaches in my year plus of upgrading from 2001 Diplomat to our present 2005 HR Imperial. As someone stated above it is a 90 degree corner which is much more prone to cracking than a radius. That one is quite significant as most I've seen are only a couple or inches. Whether structural or not don't know. Just repairing the sidewall I would think will just crack again. Would be interesting to find out if structural or just cosmetic.
Yep, I have one on my 2004 HR vacationer. About 2" diagonal on the bottom right of the bedroom slide out. Could be a compression problem of the slide itself against the side or something else. Hasn't got any bigger so I coated it with silicone and try not to worry about too much.
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:11 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Is it possible that the crack was caused by the slide not being adjusted properly and getting caught when it is opened up?

I don’t even know if it is adjustable, it was just a thought…….

How would the side panel be repaired in a proper manner? Replaced, fiberglassed, and repainted………….????

It’s about a thousand miles away so it’s not easy to just go look at it, I’m not discounting anything you have suggested just trying to educate myself too.

Thanks again for your input!
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
The complete side panel is made as a single piece in large forms.

When I was getting my Masters In Industrial Engineering I actually worked on summer in a refrigerated truck manufacturing factory. The entire panel is made first spraying a layer of Gelcoat on a form and then using chopped fiberglass and resin to form the side as a signal piece. After removing it from the form it is then mated to the side structure. In this case they sandwiched two panels to the side structure and then used expanding foam to provide for the insulation. Not sure exact process Monaco used, I actually toured the factory in Oregon and don't remember seeing this process, just the side panels as they were installed on the chassis. The process would be close to what I describe though.

Any type of repair other then a complete side panel would be questionable. A good shop may be able to cut out a section and then repair the structure and replace the fiberglass trying to blend it in with the rest of the side. My guess it would very difficult to repair without being able to see tell tale signs of the work being done.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Ok thank you all for your responses.

The dealership is willing to fix the damage if we were to purchase the coach. I guess in my mind I’m wondering, why did it happen and how long has it been in this condition and is the any unseen long lasting issues due to water getting behind the side panel that we can’t see……

The salesman claims it happens when a coach is not level and the slides are extended, he said it puts stress on frame of the slide and surrounding panels that result in cracking the side panel…. I’m sure all manufacturers recommend having a coach level before extending the slides.

Here is my two cents; Ask to speak to the service manager and or the person that will be responsible for the repair. As them their view on root cause, and the recommended corrective action to address both the root cause and the resulting damage, both structural and cosmetic. Ask them if they will provide a warranty on the fix, and if that warranty will be in writing.
The easy and maybe right thing to do is walk away as others have recommended, however you have said this coach is a good fit. So, if this coach can be brought to a condition you can live with, and be purchased at a price that reflects the obvious defect(s) then maybe you can make it work. All that said, if the cosmetics are important to you, I agree with a previous post in that the repair will not match, and if it does the day you drive it off the lot, it wont match 2-3 years later. Also, as also mentioned previously, the fact that this dealership has not repaired this coach before showing to prospective buyers is a real red flag.
Just my opinion, and of course the smart thing to do is take 6 months to a year to find exactly what you are looking for in the exact condition that you want it in, at a price you can live with.
Good luck with your purchase, we bought a less than perfect coach 6 years ago and have leaned on this forum ever since. The fellow Monaco owners here are a tremendous resource.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:15 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
This picture is of the front of my driver’s side rear slide. It looks to me the prior owner had that angled moulding added. Or, does anyone know if this was installed at the factory?

I have a section above that piece of moulding that has delaminated. I don’t know if the angled moulding is related. The PO told me it delaminated while under warranty, but Monaco wasn’t viable by then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8FBF7DC-621D-474E-B8D9-3CE76026AC63.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	341156  
Old 08-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Paul, you remove that trim, you will find a crack just like the OP.

Once they have ground out and sealed the crack, that trim and paint goes on.

Tags
fiberglass, panel