Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Cracked Exhaust Manifold

I replaced the air cleaner today and after I finished I was looking over the engine and saw this:

I already sprayed the bolts with liquid wrench and made an appointment for the local Freightliner dealer to change it out. I'll spray the bolts again tomorrow and Sunday and take it in on Monday. I think it must have been replaced once because its a two piece manifold and I thought they came with a one piece. I've got over 130K on it so I guess its due.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis, I've had a cracked manifold ever since we bought the Windsor in 2012. I understand that I am losing some turbo power but decided that it wasn't worth the expense of changing it.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That's interesting Joe, I know mine wasn't cracked last summer when I did the maintenance on the coach. I haven't noticed any loss of power or abnormal turbo readings. It still hits just below 25 PSI going up steep hills.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #4

Hi Dennis; Ah, the dreaded exhaust manifold crack on an ISC. Had that happen on my previous 2000 Monaco Windsor with the ISC engine. Noticed it about 3 months after the 5 year warranty from Cummin's expired on the engine. Tried to get a little help form the Cummin's shop, but no luck. Did have an aftermarket warranty on the coach. Still cost me about $300 out of pocket to get it replaced. As you know by reading here a lot of owners replace them themselves. Was easy for the shop as no bedroom slide. Open engine hatch and climb right in. You can reach everything real easy except you need to remove the thermostat inlet pipe to get the second half of the manifold off. I don't see any soot around the crack so not much must be escaping through it. Just curious Dennis, what is your next step?
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I’m having the local freight liner shop replace it next week.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #6

With engine running can you hear an exhaust leak?
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I’m having the local freight liner shop replace it next week.
Dennis,

Our ISL has a two piece exhaust manifold I think they came out with because the one piece would crack. See if you can get the shop to install the two piece manifold. We had to replace the gaskets on our exhaust manifold a few years back and I took some photos. I will attach one to show what the two piece manifold looks like. I think the ISC and the ISL are almost identical except the ISL has a longer stroke.

Opps, I just looked at your photo again and believe you already have the two piece manifold. Sorry. Getting old.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9144.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	276515  
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had to replace my exhaust manifold in 2015, it was a 2 piece manifold. Mine cracked when I had road debris take out my radiator and I think the coolant dowsing the engine might have done it. After I got it back from the Cummins shop the first time I stepped out of the coach with the engine running I heard it, Cummins didn't even tell me about it, I think they had the B team working on my coach as the hooked my thermovalve up backwards, left some of the fan shroud loose, and the driveshaft was out of time. Wasn't a happy camper in the end, had to by a new thermovalve.

So I replaced the manifold myself, didn't even think about taking it to a shop. The parts were ~$650 and it took me ~6 hours to do it. I sprayed the studs with Bead Blaster the day before and didn't have any problems getting the studs out. Hardest part was dealing with the turbo, I tried to leave it in place but ultimately just removed it.

While it was out I made sure the Pacbrake was working freeling and I made sure to lubricate it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm in awe of you guys who can do that sort of thing yourselves!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Had a cracked manifold on my ISL 400 at 52,000 miles. Had the shop replace it and they did a great job. I wish I had the knowledge, tools and shop space to do it myself but it was beyond my abilities.
I knew exactly when mine cracked because it started making a terrible screaming noise whenever I got on the throttle.
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The reality is that if I couldn't do most of the repairs and service myself I probably couldn't afford to own the motorhome.

Luckily my work back ground provided me the opportunity to learn a lot of stuff. At one point in my career I was actually the Maintenance Manager for a large mining complex. I learned to keep my mouth shut and listen to the experienced mechanics and had the ability to separate the truth from friction. Funny how a lot of people are fooled by a sweet talking BS'ers.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #12

….had to replace mine at 75k miles on my 2003 Cummins 400ISL.....totally amazed how fragile the manifold looks when compared to the turbo assembly and all the associated piping hanging off it...cant prove it but after a discussion with my local Cummins shop about RV vs commercial uses of ISLs, I began to wonder about the number of heat and cool cycles we RV owners put our engines thru....so after that replacement, I started limiting the number of times per day I shut down the engine....depending on brief fueling stops and short rest area visits, I quite often let the engine run all day......10 years later, and 120K more miles since replacement and no issues....just a thought......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Dennis,

Our ISL has a two piece exhaust manifold I think they came out with because the one piece would crack. See if you can get the shop to install the two piece manifold. We had to replace the gaskets on our exhaust manifold a few years back and I took some photos. I will attach one to show what the two piece manifold looks like. I think the ISC and the ISL are almost identical except the ISL has a longer stroke.

Opps, I just looked at your photo again and believe you already have the two piece manifold. Sorry. Getting old.

Bob
I thought it looked like a two piece manifold Bob. That's why I think it's been replaced once before although it wasn't on the POs list of repairs he'd made.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I had to replace my exhaust manifold in 2015, it was a 2 piece manifold. Mine cracked when I had road debris take out my radiator and I think the coolant dowsing the engine might have done it. After I got it back from the Cummins shop the first time I stepped out of the coach with the engine running I heard it, Cummins didn't even tell me about it, I think they had the B team working on my coach as the hooked my thermovalve up backwards, left some of the fan shroud loose, and the driveshaft was out of time. Wasn't a happy camper in the end, had to by a new thermovalve.

So I replaced the manifold myself, didn't even think about taking it to a shop. The parts were ~$650 and it took me ~6 hours to do it. I sprayed the studs with Bead Blaster the day before and didn't have any problems getting the studs out. Hardest part was dealing with the turbo, I tried to leave it in place but ultimately just removed it.

While it was out I made sure the Pacbrake was working freeling and I made sure to lubricate it.
I could do it Jim, but to tell the truth, I have more money than I have interest in doing the work myself nowadays.

Tags
exhaust