Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cracking Roof Edge

folks,

in replacing the water-damaged shower skylight frame of our 1995 38í dynasty, I noticed a 2-3Ē crack from the front right corner screw toward the roof edge. i made a note to patch the fiberglass inside and out and covered the area to protect from the inbound rain we were expecting.

Iíve got a two day break in the rain and now find the crack has expanded to / down the edge and cracked the upper belt. i suspect this is due to our gravel / uneven driveway.

am I correct in believing the roof / right wall are not one piece and / or so tightly integrated and that the crack will likely stop and not proceed down the wall?

how to best stabilize it / minimize torque?as best I can to minimize whateverís going on. should I dump air completely, keep it aired up (as best I can), raise the coach on its jacks or ramps or Ö?

weíve owned the coach 4 years and as best I can tell, itís always been an outdoor coach. i bought it as a proof of concept re my ability to
maintain a diesel coach so if the crack will continue down the wall I will patch the crack and sell it; if itís likely to stop at the edge of the roof Iíll patch, make it presentable and continue using it as a weekender.

all experience-based feedback is welcome.

thx for listening ;-)
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The roof and sides are separate structures. There is a molding strip that covers the junction between the two. Just to be sure, the crack goes from the inside edge of the skylight all the way to the roof/sidewall molding and that molding is cracked? A picture would help.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Cracking Roof Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
The roof and sides are separate structures. There is a molding strip that covers the junction between the two. Just to be sure, the crack goes from the inside edge of the skylight all the way to the roof/sidewall molding and that molding is cracked? A picture would help.
thx for your response.

yes, thatís correct Ö I was in the throes of ďHoly Moly, the sideís gonna split open!Ē before grabbing a pic. Iíll get one and post, brb.

(When in fear or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!Ē)
Old 10-18-2021, 06:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3616.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	346467
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3615.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	346468
Old 10-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That's a serious crack. What are we looking at in that bottom picture? What is that wrinkled stuff at the top?

The roof is pretty thin fiberglass so anyone who repairs fiberglass shouldn't have any problem fixing it. Boat shops do a good job. Do you have any idea what caused it? I would be worried about it reappearing.

As to your other questions, you want it on pretty level concrete or asphalt and just start the coach and let it level itself. They are pretty flexible for a 40' long box.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That's a serious crack. What are we looking at in that bottom picture? What is that wrinkled stuff at the top?

The roof is pretty thin fiberglass so anyone who repairs fiberglass shouldn't have any problem fixing it. Boat shops do a good job. Do you have any idea what caused it? I would be worried about it reappearing.

As to your other questions, you want it on pretty level concrete or asphalt and just start the coach and let it level itself. They are pretty flexible for a 40' long box.

gotcha, thx very much for your feedback.

the bottom pic shows some plastic Iíve gorilla clear-taped over the skylight opening and over the side a bit to protect from rain.

the coach has always been parked on the side of our driveway (a slightly uplifted area) in the shade of a very large pepper tree. when the tree died very suddenly 1 1/2 years ago we had it removed by an arborist. the treeís roots ran under the driveway and Iím thinking as the roots died and collapsed, the driveway became uneven and torqued the coach and cracked the 26 year old fiberglass.

thx for your suggestion re possible repair shops, Iíll patch for now (rain coming in) and find a place to have the work done.

thx again, much appreciated.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:51 PM   #7

I would be very surprised if tree roots or uneven ground had anything to do with structural problems with your coach.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:59 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I would be very surprised if tree roots or uneven ground had anything to do with structural problems with your coach.
+1..
Old 10-19-2021, 12:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radacravitz View Post
gotcha, thx very much for your feedback.

the bottom pic shows some plastic Iíve gorilla clear-taped over the skylight opening and over the side a bit to protect from rain.

the coach has always been parked on the side of our driveway (a slightly uplifted area) in the shade of a very large pepper tree. when the tree died very suddenly 1 1/2 years ago we had it removed by an arborist. the treeís roots ran under the driveway and Iím thinking as the roots died and collapsed, the driveway became uneven and torqued the coach and cracked the 26 year old fiberglass.

thx for your suggestion re possible repair shops, Iíll patch for now (rain coming in) and find a place to have the work done.

thx again, much appreciated.
So the roof radius is at the bottom of the picture? There isnít a lot of support under that radius. I wonder if someone didnít step on that area. Can you tell if the structure under it is sound?
Old 10-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
So the roof radius is at the bottom of the picture? There isnít a lot of support under that radius. I wonder if someone didnít step on that area. Can you tell if the structure under it is sound?

good question. i canít say with 100% certainty that it hasnít been stepped on previous to my removal of the skylight. when I removed the skylight I did note a slight crack forming at the corner. thinking out loud a bit, I did put my weight on the area while on my knees to tape the plastic in place. after doing that I went into the shower to confirm it was protected from the rain. the crack did not appear to have expanded though I could see more light appearing along the line where the larger crack occurred overnight.

re structure, when I removed the skylight it was clear there had been a very long term water incursion - the frame board (to the right / left of my finger) were rotted out. i removed them but installing new boards was delayed due to a recurring health issue Ö it may be that the unsupported areaís fiberglass was weakened enough that stress from the uneven driveway surface and air spring loss (~8 lbs a day) caused the crack to occur.

since noting this yesterday I repositioned the coach to a more flat area of the driveway.

your feedback has been very helpful, thank you.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I believe the Dynasty of your vintage coach has a full steel cage, structurally it is probably one of the strongest in the industry. Not sure what would have caused the crack, I doubt removing the skylight would have done this.

Since you have access to some of the crack on the inside you might consider trying to add some fiberglass mate and epoxy to strengthen it. Could even consider adding some structure to it , a piece of metal would add a lot of strengthen it after doing a couple layers of mate/epoxy and then doing the same over the metal. A curved piece of metal following the contour of the radius might help.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You should be able to taper grind back a few inches on each side of crack on outside and laying several layers of glass cloth. Or if you can get good enough access from inside, you could sand underside to rough it up then build up several layers of glass cloth extending several inches on each side. Once cured you could then fill crack up above with caulking. Here is a video showing my roof repair on my '04 Camelot.

https://youtu.be/DI1gZeiG45I
TRH299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:14 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH299 View Post
You should be able to taper grind back a few inches on each side of crack on outside and laying several layers of glass cloth. Or if you can get good enough access from inside, you could sand underside to rough it up then build up several layers of glass cloth extending several inches on each side. Once cured you could then fill crack up above with caulking. Here is a video showing my roof repair on my '04 Camelot.

https://youtu.be/DI1gZeiG45I

X2 TRH299 would know, he's worked wonders on his rebuild,
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You’re getting good advice. Fiberglass work isn’t hard to do - mixing the resin is very simple. In a repair like this, it’s the prep that’s important. I don’t think that is going to expand anymore at this point.

Tags
roof