Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #1

Angry Cranking battery not being charged when on shorepower

Well here we go again. I thought I had this fixed. I called Monaco and they said that it was a bad circuit board back by the "Big Boy" solenoid. So I ordered one and installed it. I checked and the battery had 13 volts going to it. So it must be charging. That was 4 months ago. 4500 miles and we are home. Been here for a month plugged in. Went to start engine today and clunk. Dead batteries. I dont know where to look this time. Anybody have an idea.

05, Navigator with 60 series Detroit Diesel...........
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #2

You might have the MegaTech Board which only charges the battery when you go over the float charge level..So it charges your battery, then when house battery gets to float charge level...cuts out...

That board is being updated and I am ordering a new one from MegaTech the day it becomes available...Meanwhile, I have a Trik-L-Start hooked up now between house and chassis batteries while plugged in and being stored..This keeps all batteries up. When I get the new board when the weather warms up again before next season I intend to install it. (My board is in the front driver bay and you can see where the batteries go into it.) I don't your coach and am basing my guess above on what I have. Mine will keep coach when using it, but during storage, once I hit float charge...the house batteries drop out and the Trombetta Relay no longer stays closed.

Hook up a Trik-L-Start now or depending on your inverter manufacturer (Xantrex or Magnum) they both make units you can add on for a bit more. Trik-L-Start was my best workaround until the new board is available.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Have you tested the chassis batteries with a hydrometer. Put a regular charger on them then check and see if they are good. Your coach is 5 years old so batteries are at the end of their lifeline if original.
pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #4

Trombetta, Mega Wow i have a few things to learn about. Regarding the batteries, they are AGM sealed batteries and are good for about 10 years. Also I checked them and the do hold a charge. It is the small electrical leaks caused by the keep alive computer circuits and such that are drawing down the power.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Stretch.....Install the Trik-L-Start or the Xantrex Echo Charger and eliminate the circuit boards by Monaco. They have been problematic. I first installed the Trik-L-Start several years ago and it eventually started to have issues. I bought the Echo Charger which is a more substantial unit and it works great. Magnum Inverter also makes a unit now.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote