Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #1

Cruise control

I have a 1994 Dynasty with the cruise control on the turn handle on the steering column. It looks like a GMC control. It has started to go out of cruise when it is engaged, and it is hard to engage. I have check all the vacuum hoses, and have a schematic. I have tried to check all connection, but am not sure that I have found them all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I sure don't want to take it to Cummins, as they seem to try to fix it by chasing parts.
lmcintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
What brand of cruise control do you have? Cummins would be the engine brand, not the cruise control. Cruise King LLC is one brand used by many RV makers. Their website has lots of information and diagnostic help.
Cruise Controls for Diesel engines.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:08 PM   #3

Cruise

Thanks Bob for your reply on my cruise control. I have the Rostra cruise. I am now on our way south, and will probably have to fight this problem until I get back home in North Idaho, when the snow is gone. I will get in touch with King. I have had this RV since new and it started last year. I should have fix it then. Larry
Old 01-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Had the same type of problem on my 2000, found the fix in the front drivers side bay. The cruise I had used relays and needed tweeking the contacts.

LEN
Old 01-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Since it's a diesel, which has no naturally generated vacuum, I'd be very surprised if it's a vacuum hose issue. Most diesel cruise controls are electric. The only vacuum is usually made by an electric vacuum pump in front of the driver's bulkhead that makes vacuum for the HVAC controls.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintosh View Post
I have a 1994 Dynasty with the cruise control on the turn handle on the steering column. It looks like a GMC control. It has started to go out of cruise when it is engaged, and it is hard to engage. I have check all the vacuum hoses, and have a schematic. I have tried to check all connection, but am not sure that I have found them all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I sure don't want to take it to Cummins, as they seem to try to fix it by chasing parts.
I have never heard of that type cruse on a 94 Dynasty, what most has is a King cruse control and it's all 12 volt over air control and when the board goes out it is expensive at $500 +-, call Monaco with your coach # and they can tell you what you have.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #7

At least as late as the 2000 model year HR/Monaco used a Rostra cruise control stalk (like 1980s GM) connected to a conversion box that would provide the correct signal to the CAT or Cummins ECU for cruise function. If you have this, I would check for solid connections at each of the wiring harness plugs before spending money on parts. Mine seems to be intermittently flakey, so it can't really be a hard component failure.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 01-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #8

Mike I have taken the dash out and have played with the connections. I think this is the place to look. If it was a bad connection it would go out and be hard to engage. Thanks everyone for all the information. I guess this RV is just getting old and things are starting to pop up. Just like my pacbrake, it is now acting up not getting the signal to the transmission. Any how I am now on the road and will have to life with it. Now that I am 80 and a lifetime gearhead I guess it has the best of me. Larry

Tags
cruise control