RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #1

Cruise Control and Jake Brake

Any idea why I cannot set the cruise control with jake on Or set it and then engage the Jake. When I release the throttle with the cruise set the Jake immediately engages Thanks
Tom&Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #2

I find that anything more than the slightest reduction in throttle setting by the cruise control causes the engine brakes to engage - as should happen - and then, since the brakes are energised (ie stop lights on) the cruise control disengages - as it should.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
I find that anything more than the slightest reduction in throttle setting by the cruise control causes the engine brakes to engage - as should happen - and then, since the brakes are energised (ie stop lights on) the cruise control disengages - as it should.
I would like to dispute this. I've never seen a heavy truck/motor home that the engine brake brings on the brake lights. An engine brake, regardless of what brand, works via exhaust back pressure and not wheel brakes.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Marie View Post
Any idea why I cannot set the cruise control with jake on Or set it and then engage the Jake. When I release the throttle with the cruise set the Jake immediately engages Thanks
I don't think the two systems are meant to be used in tandem. Having driven heavy trucks for several years, I've never tried to use both at the same time. If you're in a terrain that will require engine braking, you're not likely to be using cruise control.

I was in a manual shift vehicle and I can see how with an automatic you may want it.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen45 View Post
I would like to dispute this. I've never seen a heavy truck/motor home that the engine brake brings on the brake lights. An engine brake, regardless of what brand, works via exhaust back pressure and not wheel brakes.
I respectfully disagree.

My Monaco Windsor has a PRXB PacBrake Exhaust Brake which is wired to activate the rear brake lights BUT not the air brakes.

I believe this is the correct method for any exhaust or engine brake. If the vehicle is slowing or stopping, people behind it should be notified with the brake lights coming on.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, you can change and adjust how the cruise control works with your engine brake through the chassis ecm,through the computer you can adjust how many miles over the set speed it comes on and when it kicks off. if you want to change what gear it downshifts to you will have to go to a allison dealer as this adjustment is in the allison ecm, and as for the brake light yes it comes on with the engine brake. I had to pull a diode to make mine quit coming on.So rgreen45 all 3 of these items work together on motorcoachs
Old 10-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Dr

So everytime you take your foot off the "gas" the brake lights come on?

Thats got to be a little annoying for people following you..
Angler3041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler3041 View Post
Dr

So everytime you take your foot off the "gas" the brake lights come on?

Thats got to be a little annoying for people following you..
Only if you have your engine brake on and when you let off the gas pedal the trannsmission will downshift and most brake lights will come on (diesel pushers)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know about Newmar or any other brand of coach but my experience with two Monaco DP coaches - one 2007 model and one 2009 model - follows:

1. The exhaust brake can be turned on at the same time as the cruise control and the cruise control still works
2. The cruise control will back off throttle and not activate the exhaust brake for small increases of coach speed - 5 to 10 mph
3. The exhaust brake will engage with the cruise control on if the speed increases a great deal - more than 10 mph - I think this is when the cruise control completely zeros the throttle
4. If the speed drops from the situation in #3 the exhaust brake disengages and the cruise control takes over
5. The brake lights comes on when the exhaust brake engages in both of the coaches I have owned

Bottom line, I have driven our coaches using the cruise control with the exhaust brake switch on for about 5 years and over 40,000 miles - works fine and have had no problems doing so.

Note that I can attest to this behavior on our 2009 Camelot and our past 2007 Endeavor but have no data on any other coach which can and probably be programed to behave differently.

Lew
Old 10-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewF
Don't know about Newmar or any other brand of coach but my experience with two Monaco DP coaches - one 2007 model and one 2009 model - follows:

1. The exhaust brake can be turned on at the same time as the cruise control and the cruise control still works
2. The cruise control will back off throttle and not activate the exhaust brake for small increases of coach speed - 5 to 10 mph
3. The exhaust brake will engage with the cruise control on if the speed increases a great deal - more than 10 mph - I think this is when the cruise control completely zeros the throttle
4. If the speed drops from the situation in #3 the exhaust brake disengages and the cruise control takes over
5. The brake lights comes on when the exhaust brake engages in both of the coaches I have owned

Bottom line, I have driven our coaches using the cruise control with the exhaust brake switch on for about 5 years and over 40,000 miles - works fine and have had no problems doing so.

Note that I can attest to this behavior on our 2009 Camelot and our past 2007 Endeavor but have no data on any other coach which can and probably be programed to behave differently.

Lew
What he said. 2008 Knight. I use the cruise with the pacbrake on all the time, nntrol active.o problem.
I can't see the brake lights from where i sit, but the manual says when the pacbrake engages the brake lights come on, so I'd assume they do not come on with the cruise control active.

Note all this stuff is programable in the engine ecm and also some settings in the Allison ecm.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Dr

So every time you take your foot off the "gas" the brake lights come on?
If the foot is completely off of the accelerator, YES, once the PacBrake engages. It takes a second or two for that to happen. If my foot is even resting on the accelerator then the Pacbrake will NOT engage. That is the coasting position.

Quote:
Dr

That's got to be a little annoying for people following you..
I am more concerned about the bozos in front of me than the ones in the rear. On long grades downhill, those brake lights are on constantly as they should be. They are not to warn someone that I am stopping, but that I am slowing down. In traffic, the PacBrake will not engage unless you are above 15-20 mph.

However, whatever way your own coach is wired and operates, if that's the way you like it, that is what matters the most. I prefer and like the method that Monaco chose to wire mine and if people behind me don't want to look at my brakes lights on the back end of my trailer, they can go around me.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake