Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2020, 07:31 AM   #1

Cruise Control quit working

good morning! I'm in the process of repairing the many annoying items that crop up with an older coach in preparation for full-timing starting in August/Sept. So I plan to take advantage of the vast knowledge available on the wonderful Monaco owners forum! Expect a few more posts like this over the coming days/weeks.

On my last trip my cruise control suddenly quit working. It is on, the dash light is on but speed won't set.
After an overnight stop it started working again for 3 or 4 hours, but quit working after stopping for fuel.
I've searched this forum, and there are a lot of helpful hints, but I'm having trouble finding the specific items to check.

One recommendation was to check the connections on the brake switches at the firewall. I'm somewhat competent mechanically but ignorant enough to not know what I'm looking for. Anyone have a picture handy, or have a detailed description of what I'm looking for?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2020, 07:42 AM   #2

On my coach if I have the exhaust brake switch on the cruise control will not set .

Other than that all I can suggest is to look down this page for a box of similar threads .

Good luck
Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link to the brake pedal that is on my rig, yours may be different
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...B9omgSwQ8uadUX

The small switch part number is SM-1C-5R1WP205, I did a quick search and could not find, it is a Nason switch so you might have to call them for a replacment

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #4

Thanks all for the info. Other threads mention spade connectors for the cruise control, but I don't find any spade connections.
On another note, should the pedal and adjustable mechanism all be loose enough to move up and down a couple of inches when I lift the pedal? Could that be a factor?
Last, I notice that enabling my exhaust brake stops the cruise control, despite my user manual indicating it shouldn't behave that way. Perhaps that's a clue, I'm not sure. Just gathering everything I know to see if it gives any hints.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The pedal assembly should not move, I'd definitely tighten it up and then test your cruise issue.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #6

Thanks! The brake assembly is solidly anchored at the firewall, so the plate and rubber piece don't move. The pedal and extender have a small amount of play side to side, and more significant movement up and down. The area is crowded so I haven't been able yet to find anything I can tighten to reduce the movement. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for, or tips on how to get access to what I need to tighten?
Old 06-21-2020, 07:12 AM   #7

Cruise Control

I lived with an intermittent cruise control function for almost two years with several repair guys diagnosing with no solution and another who wanted to replace the unit on top and inside the dash. Finally found a guy who found a loose wire in the unit accessible from the top of the dash and no more problem. Your problem sounds exactly like the one I had.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The cruise circuit goes through the brake switch. I had a bad connection there. Itís accessed through the genny opening with the genny extended. The connections are spade terminals, not the ring terminals. Iíll look for a pic.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/cru...em-310124.html

There is a pic In post 15, the spade terminals are up and to the left of the ring terminals.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:44 PM   #10

Thanks barmcd, the pic helps a lot. I don't find those spade connectors anywhere around my brake controller, so wondering if the configuration is different. I've attached a pic showing the brake controller, wiring and surrounding area, and I've got no spade connectors. Not certain what the equivalent wiring is on my rig, perhaps the clips shown. I re-seated the clips and plan to take a test drive later this week to see how things behave. I've tightened down and re-connected what I can find, but have no confidence I've found the root cause.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_163625.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	290535  
Old 06-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I've found that intermittent wire connections can usually be cured by removing the connector and applying DeoxIT D5 terminal cleaner.
One of our IRV2 members suggested removing all the fuses in the front electrical bay and spraying the terminals with cleaner and reinserting them. He said this cured his intermittent issues.
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-De...03658380&psc=1

Hope you get it fixed.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:03 AM   #12

I finally had opportunity to take the motorhome out for a test drive, and cruise is working again! Cleaning and re-connecting the wire clips in the picture above seems to have resolved the issue. one of the clips seemed a little loose beforehand.
thanks all for your help!
Old 03-16-2021, 05:15 PM   #13

Newmar all star

Hello. Do you still have your all star? We are looking to buy one if these mythical coaches and it seems that at one point you had one! My cell is (423) 331-1686

Thank you
rvbritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control