RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #1

Cummins 300 fuel mileage?

I have 94 40' Monaco with mechanical 8.3. I planning a Daytona trip, OH to FL about 1900 mi round trip (all I75). I have 2 trailers, 1 4X8 open, the other 7X18 tanden enclosed. To save fuel this year I had just planned to put my Harley on the 4X8 and take off. A friend said I'll give you $200 bucks to pull the 7X18 and take my bike also. I'm trying to determine if $200 would cover fuel difference in MPG between the 2 trailers. I have no idea what the difference with all other factors being equal, I'm guessing about 2 MPG, any thoughts on this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,

Have a look at the table at the back of this RV Performance Guide by Caterpillar.

Understanding Coach-RV Performance by Caterpillar.pdf

The table gives a summary of significant factors affecting coach MPG. Gross Combined Weight is listed.

Hopes this helps you with your decision.
Retd_ontheRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I see it as a money maker for you and a clean bike. He is paying for 4mpg at $4 a gallon. I tow all the time or almost with 8000#'s and I would say no more than 1mpg for your lighter load.

LEN
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply, I try to keep it at 60 mph or below, wish I could say the same for my wife.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We have a '93 Monaco Signature series 300 hp. We were also pulling a 20 ft equipment trailer with a 4Runner and a full bagger Harley on it, that totaled about 10k lbs extra that it pulled.
We went from Lancaster, CA thru TX and into Bradenton/Sarasota, FL and then zig zagged upto VA and then to MI and then back to Lancaster, CA. We did this all in 5 weeks. It was about 7k in miles. We averaged 10 mpg. The only time we went below that was when we had to run the generator along with driving down the road at that point we averaged 5 mpg. That was only for about 2 days of travel thou. You may get different numbers or not. I know mine for us are correct. I had several people check them since I did not believe them either since it was alot more than we were supposed to get.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #6

You can't complain about that mileage, I've gotten 10 several times, but my generator gets used a lot so I don't often get chance to do a clean check.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Not complaining but when others have asked about mileagle and I mentioned the 10mpg pulling all that extra weight I got lambasted and called a liar and told I was not doing my math correctly. So I get a little more defensive to start with than I should.

Tags
cummins, fuel