RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Cummins 400 ISL Computer Monitor

Hello!

i have 2006 HR PAQ with a Cummins 400ISL motor. i want to put on some type of monitoring system so i can keep an eye on all the temps and everything. i've read a lot about how our gauges are not accurate. what would you guys recommend? i dont need anything too over the top. i do have a scan gauge 2 on one of my cars. would that work? would i have to get an adapter? any help would be great!

SMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAR View Post
Hello!

i have 2006 HR PAQ with a Cummins 400ISL motor. i want to put on some type of monitoring system so i can keep an eye on all the temps and everything. i've read a lot about how our gauges are not accurate. what would you guys recommend? i dont need anything too over the top. i do have a scan gauge 2 on one of my cars. would that work? would i have to get an adapter? any help would be great!
Car scan gauge would not work , but if you're used to using Scan Gauge they make a model for diesel pushers.

Scan Gauge D.
ScanGaugeD - Advanced J1939 & J1708 compatible Vehicle Monitor for Diesel Pusher Vehicles : Linear Logic
Also
www.silverleafelectronics.com/node?page=2

Old 07-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Car scan gauge would not work , but if you're used to using Scan Gauge they make a model for diesel pushers.

Scan Gauge D.
ScanGaugeD - Advanced J1939 & J1708 compatible Vehicle Monitor for Diesel Pusher Vehicles : Linear Logic
Also
SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc. | Knowledge is Horsepower
thanks! the Scan gauge looks just like what i have.

but i am interested in the silver leaf. do they have any that arent so in depth?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
thanks! the Scan gauge looks just like what i have.

but i am interested in the silver leaf. do they have any that aren't so in depth?
I don't have one yet still waiting on a great price.

If Silver Leaf has a lower line , it should be on the web site.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I don't have one yet still waiting on a great price.

If Silver Leaf has a lower line , it should be on the web site.
yeah, they are pricey! but i do like all the stuff you get when hooked up to a computer!
Old 07-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Silverleaf system about 3 years ago. It is very easy to set up and has the ability to measure whatever the ECM for the engine is putting out.

The system consists of the module that reads and interprets the data and provides as an input to your laptop or tablet.

RV Upgrades has the best prices on this unit, you select the one that fits your plug.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/categ...erleaf&Submit=

The software you download from Silverleaf Electronics, it is free.

Once you install the base unit and plug it to your laptop you can set up the display anyway you want it with as many monitoring points as you want.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

sounds like everyone is a silver leaf fan. no scan gauge guys here that can chime in?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
sounds like everyone is a silver leaf fan. no scan gauge guys here that can chime in?
I had a scangaugeD for a couple years. Worked great, never a problem. Only reason I don't use it now is installed a banks kit and it has the small tablet that displays the same info. It displays all kinds of info. Even let's you figure mpg and gallons used and how much farther you can go on a tank. Also reads and clears any engine diagnostic codes. I'll send you a PM soon.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
SMAR,

I have the Silverleaf VMSpc and like it. Others have successfully used the Scangauge. Both will work. The Scangauge is less expensive but VMSpc gives you more flexibility in displaying parameters and configuring gauges, as well as some enhancements. You can download the VMSpc software for free and play with it before committing to purchase the hardware. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #10

Quote:
I installed the Diesel Scan Gauge in my 2006 400 ISL and everything worked fine except for one reading: the transmission temperature. It appears that this is not uncommon and it depends on what modules Monaco used to attach the senders to the diagnostic plug in what coaches for whatever year. No amount of troubleshooting from the Scan Gauge company would work and, believe me, I tried everything, even all of the different downloadable codes. So, if you want to go cheapo, us the Diesel Scan Gauge....just be aware that you may not get all of the readings that you want
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I currently have the scan gauge D and it has worked fine except the trans temp... It always says trans temp is 456 degrees... Don't think so.
I'm going to start researching which Silverleaf system will work for me. I need simple to hook up program/use.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
I have the Scan Gauge D, works great for my setup, I get everything I want and need to know.
Silverleaf is a very good product, I couldn't justify the price when I didn't need it.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I run the Scangauge and I monitor engine oil pressure, Volts, Engine coolant temp and transmission temp. I bought it because my trans temp gauge never appeared to work, come to find out it actually does work but never gets hot enough to notice on the gauge. Just recently I was able to get it above 180 degrees and I was shocked it works. It does what I wanted it to for little money. I will say the Silverleaf is the top dog but I couldn't justify the cost. I also learned my coach really doesn't run as hot as the dash gauge represents, so yea the factory gauges aren't accurate, I feel much more at ease having a digital readout.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I also run a scan gauge. I monitor engine temp, transmission temp, oil press, and avg mpg. Just did 8000 mile trip to Alaska and it worked great

RockyMtnRide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer, cummins