RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Cummins 400ISL Engine Fill Location

I have a 2005 Monaco Dynasty with the 400 HP Cummins ISL engine. I am about to change the oil, filters, and grease the undercarriage. Does anyone know where the oil fill is located? It appears that it may be on the rear of the engine, but I'm not sure. I haven't found any other removable caps that look like oil fill caps.

rafferl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rafferl,
Welcome to iRV2. Your question is unique to Monaco coaches. Consider posting this question in the Monaco Owner's Forum. Go to the iRV2 main page. Scroll down until you find the Owner's Corner. Coach Brands are listed in alphabetical order.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'll move your thread to the Monaco Owners Forum but on my 2007 (Winnie) 400ISL the fill is under the rear hatch next to the dip stick.

good luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the help with this site

Thank you both for directing me to the correct location on this site to get my question answered.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
rafferl....Just some added info. Your ISL has two drain plugs, one is just above the other. It allows you to drain some of the 24+ qts and then drain the rest. You have a couple of grease fittings on each side of the axle(s) near the brake air cans that are sometimes missed. You also have two on the u-joint where the driveshaft connects to the rear end. Either will fill the entire u-joint. There is one fitting on the slip joint of the drive shaft. When filling this one, you need to place your finger at the rear of the slip joint (between the u-joint and slip joint) where you'll feel a hole at the center of the pipe. Place your finger over the hole while filling the slip joint fitting. This will prevent the grease from pumping out the back of the slip joint. The front fittings are fairly easy to locate, but there are three on the steering column. One is obvious, (down low) one is harder to find about half way up and the third one requires that you pull the housing off of the steering column inside the coach.

Because of the torque these things produce, they recommend that the driveshaft be lubed every 5000 miles.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Don, Thanks for the information on the lube points. Where is the fill location for your cummins engine? It appears that the fill tube on the 400 hp engine in my 2005 Dynasty is on the rear side of the engine just in front of a plate stamped with the indication "TDC". This tube is about 1 1/4 inch in diameter. Is this the engine oil fill point?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #7

You can fill it where you mentioned on the front of the engine or you can go in your bedroom closet and remove the floor access and fill it from the valve cover top. I have done it both ways.

Tags
cummins