Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #1

Cummins 8.3 Air Compressor Maintenance

My 1995 Cummins 8.3 manual calls for periodic maintenance of the air compressor intake and discharge requiring some dis-assembly. As I have seen no mention of this air compressor activity on the RV forums I visit, I wonder - how important are these air compressor inspections. Is anyone doing them?
Pete Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #2

I'm going to tag along to see what answers you get AND , dig through my chassis and engine manuals , to see if I missed a page somewhere.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My reading and hands-on experience is that the compressor will work until it fails and there is virtually nothing you can do except: (1) change the dryer/filter as recommended, (2) occasionally purge moisture from the system via manual dump valves, and (3) be aware that the auto-purge valve is functioning (the loud pssssssssssst that happens every 10 minutes or so and within 5-minutes of initial main engine start up).
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the insight. My Cummins manual shows that you (at 48,000 mile intervals) remove the compressor intake and exhaust lines and study the line walls for carbon deposits. You take action based on the thickness of the deposits that occlude the lines. Maybe this procedure is rendered unnecessary by the air dryer.
Pete Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #5

The intake side of the compressor , should come directly from the coach air filter, so there should be no deposits there, from the compressor, the lines run to the dryer, and deposits there would indicate , problems with the compressor , rings or valves, any excess in that line would be something to have to deal with as those deposits could plug the dryer filters prematurely , stopping the dryer function, shutting down the air system.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

Before touching the compressor I would confirm that any parts you might need for re-assembly were available. Slightly off-topic here, but on my compressor the inspection port on the bottom of the compressor was dripping oil due to being rust thru. It is a small metal cap that the Cummins service manual says is a replaceable part and should be removed to inspect for internal damage, if suspected. I was going to remove mine before heading to Cummins parts but decided not to. Parts said it was not available even though the service manual says it is. Their answer was to buy a new $1700. pump, my answer was to putty up the existing one . Glad I didn't take it off first
Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc99 View Post
Before touching the compressor I would confirm that any parts you might need for re-assembly were available. Slightly off-topic here, but on my compressor the inspection port on the bottom of the compressor was dripping oil due to being rust thru. It is a small metal cap that the Cummins service manual says is a replaceable part and should be removed to inspect for internal damage, if suspected. I was going to remove mine before heading to Cummins parts but decided not to. Parts said it was not available even though the service manual says it is. Their answer was to buy a new $1700. pump, my answer was to putty up the existing one . Glad I didn't take it off first
That's great advice for all of us with this vintage Cummins. Thanks for sharing.

Tags
compressor, cummins, maintenance