Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
Thumbs up Cummins Aircompressor Failure

Recently on our trip from Alberta to Ontario our 2007 Scepter with the ISL 400 Cummins engine started throwing oil out of the brake air drier purge valve. I changed the air drier filter but did not solve the problem.

I stopped in at Canada West RV and Truck Centre, in Saskatoon and they told me I was getting oil blow-by in the air compressor rings and probably needed a new air compressor. Keeping a close eye on engine oil levels and placing a can with rags under the purge valve we made it to Southern Ontario with only a 1/2 quart oil loss.

We ordered a new compressor and seals and had Palmerston Truck Centre replace the compressor. On further inspection we found that the hose running from the Turbo intake to the compressor was installed with a twist. The twisting affect on the hose caused weakening in the hose wall and eventually the compressor starving for air sucked a hole in the hose allowing dirt and dust to enter thus damaging the pump rings.

As a heads up check the air compressor feed hose on your next service. It could save you $4000+. This is one occurance where extended warrenty helped.
CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #2

Good info CFXCH, thanks. My air drier just started blowing oil too. No oil loss that I can see.

Exactly where is the compressor located on the engine? Driver side, Passenger side, toward front of rig, or rear? Did you end up replacing the compressor with a new one, a rebuilt one or repairing the one you had? Also what was your cost? You mentioned $4000 but I wasn't clear on whether that was parts, labor, shipping, other charges or all of the above.

Any additional info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Pigman

It is a new compressor from Cummins. You need your engine serial # to order. If you can't find it email or call Monaco, give them your VIN # and they will give your engine serial #. In your case probably Tiffin should have the info for you. Facing the engine from the rear it is situated on passenger side towards the rear. It is the first pump with hydraulic and coolant pump attached. Thus engine coolant and ATF has to be drained. Also the starter had to be removed to gain access from under the engine. Total cost was approximately $3700 CDN. Expect the best part of a day to complete if all the seals come with the compressor.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
What was your air pressure guage doing all this time?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Just had my Cummins Holset Compressor replaced- same symtems- puking oil out the purge valve- had to remove and clean the dryer out too - new filter- Mine $1300 for everything.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #6

Thanks CFXCH. I found the compressor. Looks like mine is set up the same as yours. I have the engine S/N so now I'm just looking for someone who can do the repair in a reasonable time. I'm still under warranty (less than 5 years and 100k miles) so I shouldn't have to fight that issue. Thanks again for your input.

Hal, my air pressure is building just fine and steady when running so no problems there. Two of the service guys I've talked to so far seem to think this thing can be run for quite a ways (over 1000 mi) as long as oil is checked and air is building OK. I'm thinking of taking it to Gaffney for the repair, but I need to call Pat there and check to see how backed up they are. We're heading south and west at the end of this month anyway.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
No Loss of air pressure during this time but a big oily mess in the back engine compartment and oil all over the stone guard. Since air pressure was not an issue we drove home albeit the compressor could have completely failed.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #8

Just a quick update on my compressor problem.

After a number of calls to Cummins, and Cummins repair facilities I took the coach to Cummins Atlantic in Spartanburg, SC for repair. They were recommended by Pat, the service supervisor at the Freightliner Gaffney factory. After a thorough troubleshooting Atlantic agreed the compressor was bad and it would be replaced under warranty. Total time to replace 3 days. one day to troubleshoot, find the parts and get them shipped in, and a day and a half to replace it. Total cost to me $130 as I had them troubleshoot an additional problem and the warranty for RV engines beyond 2 years old has a $100 deductible. Total cost that I was not responsible for... $1890.

Cummins Atlantic was great. A clean, efficient facility with a 30/50A plug in for when you are waiting. Also an air conditioned clean comfortable waiting lounge and great people. Consider them if you need work done. I'll go back if I need anything else.

Tags
cummins