Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2021, 07:19 PM   #1

Cummins Engine Plug Fell Out - Holiday Rambler Endeavor - Cummins Diesel

Well this is my first post to this forum and it is a pretty scary one at that. Purchased this 2007 HR Endeavor 40skq back in October 2020 and have taken 4 trips with it. The last two I had the Stop Eng light come on and then power loss. Seemed to happen when going up large inclines and would fix itself after a few seconds. (Cummins ISL03 - 400 Diesel Engine) Checked the diagnostic messages and it said coolant/temp issue (Can't remember exactly) I added a gallon and a half of coolant thinking this would fix the issue. It did not. I finally crawled underneath and found what I suspect is some sort of fluid drain plug has fell out. The oil pan plug seems to be ok its the pan directly towards the front of the oil pan plug that is missing and you can see fluid all over the place. Clearly I need to take it in but was wondering if anyone can tell me what fluid pan this is missing from? I have a few pics attached that I hope detail a bit better.

My guess is I will want to find out what plug this is for and plug up the hole and add whatever fluid is needed, then drive to the fix it shop.
These were taken from the passenger side underneath.

-The top left picture shows the oil pan and the missing plug is to the right/forward.

-The next two pics show the missing plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5173.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	335404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5172.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	335405  

Name:	IMG_5174.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	335406  
slmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2021, 07:32 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.
There is nothing missing, the hole is a vent for the transmission bell housing.

Your wet area around the hole is an indicator of a slight, rear main seal leak on the engine.
Nothing to do with a CEL , and Stop engine warning , about coolant temperature.

Is your coach equipped with a rear radiator?

Cummins says to clean the rear radiator, every 7,500 miles or annually.
For any overheat condition, that’s were to start. Clean the radiator and CAC , ( Charge Air Cooler) .
Old 07-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #3

Oil does not come out that hole and leak UP !

You have some kind of leak, but not from that hole.
Clean it off and watch for the source above the housing with the hole.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #4

Well that is great news. I saw that the hole was threaded and it had me worried. It has a rear radiator and the previous owner said he had it replaced shortly before I purchased it. When you say clean do you mean the veins in the radiator? What/how is the best way to clean them? Sorry not a mechanic though I could fix anything inside.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #5

Rear Radiator

Here is a pic of the rear radiator the previous owner said he had replaced. He said he put a bigger one in though that really means nothing to me.
I also saw that you can use that Dawn de-greaser and that seems to work well? No clue where to find the CAC though I'm googling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5176.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	335407  
Old 07-09-2021, 08:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If the PO just changed the radiator, I’d want to know why. As to adding coolant, he may not have gotten all the air out of the system. Not sure on the ISL, but on my 5.9 the “self burping” doesn’t really work. It’s best to fill from the top radiator hose into the engine when doing a refill in addition to the overflow tank. Could have been super low on coolant. Where does the level sit now that you’ve added coolant?
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:39 PM   #7

What you’re seeing is the CAC, the radiator is closer to the engine.

Cooling fan on the engine , pushes air through the radiator, then the airflow goes through the CAC and out the rear of the coach.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The ISL and ISC both are pretty good at self clearing air from the coolant plumbing.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I should probably start a new post specifically for the temp issue. So I checked the coolant fluid level and it was at the Min level and I added another 3/4 gallon to take it to the Max level in the tank. I was looking at the radiator setup and I'm amazed at how buried everything is!!! Would it be possible that the Radiator is on the top (The silver section on the pic above) and that the black section below is the CAC? When I look at the engine side of things I see the same thing. Silver section on top and black on the bottom. It also looks like things are for sure gummed up on the inside/engine side. The question I have is how the heck do I clean this thing? Would anyone have a link to a thread here where this has already been detailed?
Old 07-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
It's possible your oil leak maybe gumming up you radiator causing the heating issue.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:11 PM   #11

I believe the CAC is on top and radiator is bottom. Spray it down with a good detergent that is safe for aluminum and then rinse off. An air hose can be used to blow through the radiator to help dislodge any stubborn stuff. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We JUST did all this - same year, same engine. Radiator got a small rock embedded causing a leak. With great difficulty we pulled the rad (it's the bottom one) and the intercooler. Rad was truly filthy - took it in expecting to have to purchase a new one, but they fixed it and cleaned both rad and intercooler. Total $500 Cdn. Came back looking like new. Reinstalled and good to go. Changed a few little things around to make it easier to remove next time (turned hose clamps so we can actually reach the screws). Replaced one of the orange hoses that come from the intercooler cuz it had to be cut to get the rad out - could NOT reach screws) Drilled out the bottom rail of the rad mount so it will drain better and not hold water. Reattached the noise insulation that was hanging down everywhere - the fan was hitting it - we suspect that much of the gunk in the rad was actually the powdered bits of the insulation as the fan was sawing it up into fine bits.
Crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:42 PM   #13

Wow. Well done. Great tips too.
safwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:21 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Slmink
I have removed the radiator on my signature two separate times over the last eight years I have tried cleaning my radiator with all the suggested ways on the different forms over the years until I thought my radiator was clean still some cooling issues so as a protection to a very expensive diesel motor, I removed the radiator,the CAC, and the hydraulic oil cooler.
They all went in to the radiator shop for inspection,cleaning,repair as necessary, fin combing and repaint.
I was shocked at how much crap that I had collected in them that I could not even see because my radiator looked clean to me before removing them, any oil or antifreeze misting anywhere will find its way into those radiators because the fan pulls the mist that comes from anything from a small antifreeze leak to blow by or oil seepage..
If you decide to go this route take the time and effort to replace anything rubber that you can while in there, those red hoses last a long time but they are not invincible.. also take the time to do a thorough inspection on the bracket that holds the hydraulic motor that drives the fan,I found three major cracks and two beginning cracks in that motor mount..
Be sure and let us know what you find to be the problem including what’s causing that oil seepage at your bell housing thanks Tim
cyclonestim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, diesel, endeavor, engine, holiday rambler