Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cummins ISL 425 Stop Engine Light On

We're about 8 weeks into a 9 month adventure from Seattle....currently in Charleston, SC headed to Savannah, GA next week. I've gotten a few Stop Engine light conditions recently. The light comes on at random times and stays on until engine shutdown and restart. It may not come on for another hour or two. Using the exhaust brake seems to bring it on. The SPN is 101 with an FMI of 0 (Zero) which is Engine Crankcase Pressure abnormally high, I believe. My ScangaugeD gives me the same info.

Plan A is to take it to Cummins in Savannah next week and I'm dreading the bill for that.

The crankcase filter has never been replaced. I've got 48,000 miles on it. Hoping it's not blowby or other major engine issues.

Any ideas,suggestions, comments? I'm a sponge!
Barryc737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #2

I hope it is not this. I thought that the wrist pin failure was in earlier models.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cumm...re-348569.html
I'm sure there are many more threads on this. Fingers crossed.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
I hope it is not this. I thought that the wrist pin failure was in earlier models.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cumm...re-348569.html
I'm sure there are many more threads on this. Fingers crossed.
The wrist pin failure was far more catastrophic than just a warning message!
Crankcase filter is a good place to start.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The wrist pin failure was far more catastrophic than just a warning message!
Crankcase filter is a good place to start.
The OP to the current thread alludes to a stop engine code which is quoted as "Engine crankcase pressure very high."

Two posts in the thread linked above mention a "crankcase pressure sensor."

Post # 15. "This will involve installation of a new valve cover with a crankcase pressure sensor. Prior to failure, the new crankcase pressure sensor will provide a signal to the dash with a red light. A red lamp gives an indication to the driver to stop the engine as soon as it can safely be done . . ."
Also see the last post (# 21).
There are also references to noises at start up.
I hope these are coincidences Mr. D and I still have my fingers crossed for the OP that he gets the coach to the Cummins shop for a diagnosis which turns our simple and cheap.

OP, I am now wondering if you should drive it any distance and pay the extra $ to have a Cummins road tech come to you. Full disclosure: I am a worry-wort.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. We're headed to Savannah on Saturday and plan to call Cummins tomorrow to get an appointment for Tuesday when we check out of Creek Fire RV Park.

Praying it's just the filter needing replacement and not something more serious. I'm not in a position to start wrenching on it myself right now and already resigned to the fact that I will be paying through the nose to get this done.

Will report back after the fat lady sings.....
Old 10-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Why don't you first check the "slobber tube" which is the hose that comes from the valve cover to release crankcase pressure? When the engine is running and pressure is felt at the outlet of the hose, then something major is going on, if no pressure probably a bad sensor.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #7

Spent a couple of hours this morning at Cummins Savannah and left cautiously optimistic. They downloaded the history of codes...555 and 556....moderate to severe crankcase pressure. Measured pressures prior to changing the filter as well as after. Sensor was working fine. Tech wanted to check all the parameters under load so we went for a test drive. I drove and he monitored all his computer data from the stairwell. No blow by issues and no codes. Thanks to all who chimed in on this.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #8

Good to hear Barry !
Old 10-31-2019, 10:19 AM   #9

Hey Barry!

Have you put any miles on her since replacing this filter? Stop Engine light stayed off?

Cheers.... Ben.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:38 AM   #10

Yes sir, Ben. Thankfully, about 600 miles without any light. Thanks for asking.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #11

As the OP for this thread, I was really hoping I would not have to revisit this issue, but.......
Replacing the crankcase breather filter element, I drove from Savannah, GA to Orlando , across Cajun country and just today, from Austin to Fredericksburg, TX. It's been about 800 miles since the filter change and today, for the first time since the change, I encountered two STOP engine lights. The first was after about an hour of moderately heavy traffic taking advantage of the exhaust brake in stop and go traffic. I know there is some connection between using the exhaust brake and crankcase pressure (higher RPMS, right?). I pulled over, checked the codes (same as before: high crankcase breather pressure) shut down and restarted. The fault cleared itself as before and I drove for another hour without using the exhaust brake and no light until approaching our destination (I had accelerated abruptly in traffic) and, yes, another STOP engine light.

Any thoughts? Is there any correlation between high crankcase pressure and the "after treatment" DPF system? I haven't had a full regen in quite a while. Occasionally, I get a momentary flash of the DPF light and it goes out as thought a regen is not needed.

51,000 miles on this ISL 425. Heading West on 290 to hook up with I-10 towards El Paso and Las Cruces and on to SoCal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as always.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:04 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry to hear that Barry. I too would occasionally get the stop engine light on my 425ISL. I replaced the crankcase filter and proceeded to drive about 1,500 miles without the light coming on. I use my engine brake almost all the time. I assumed the filter change fixed the problem. Maybe not.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryc737 View Post

Any thoughts? Is there any correlation between high crankcase pressure and the "after treatment" DPF system? I haven't had a full regen in quite a while. Occasionally, I get a momentary flash of the DPF light and it goes out as thought a regen is not needed.
It's possible I guess, Barry.
I always get Sharon to write down the odometer number when mine does a re-gen. The frequency has always been between 4000- 4500mi, depending on how many long stop and go traffic jam's I get into.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #14

Thanks, Ben. Appreciate the interval mileage number. We'll keep you posted.

Tags
cummins, engine, light