Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #1

Cummins lift pump location?

I seem to be having a reoccurrence of a lift pump problem. Had to have it replaced by Cummins a few years ago. Very costly to have Cummins do it. My son wants to tackle the replacement.

My coach is a 2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune with a Cummins 300hp ISB. Has 110,000 miles.

Is the lift pump on the engine or is it near the fuel tank?

Is this a repair that is reasonably straight forward? He is pretty good with this sort of thing.
dog walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #2

Lift pump is on the engine, just above the starter motor. On a pusher, that would be passenger side.

I've never done the repair, but it is very common. Do a search and I'm sure you will find many comments/descriptions of the job as well as videos.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There are several threads on Cummins lift pump issues in the Cummins section of this forum.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isb-...mp-387418.html

Several folks have installed an aftermarket Fass electric pump that pushes fuel to the Cummins lift pump and prevents future failures.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/lift...de-397365.html

The above links will get you started. Go to the "Search" drop down menu above left and open it to "Advanced Search". Select the "Cummins" forum under Power Train. Type in lift pump in the search box and select "Search Titles only".
You will find a wealth of information on replacing and upgrading the lift pump.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The lift pump was a problem and Cummins put a TSB on it. Initially they replaced the pump proactively but then just started changing the gasket, and finally just the owner take care of it themselves. Now they only sell the pump as an assembly.

I did find a source for a gasket based on the info on the TSB, part # 4928511. Bought one from Capital Volvo in Montgomery AL 334-262-8856. Cost ~$8. I carry it as a spare in case my lift pump starts leaking and just tightening the bolts doesn't help.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
When I replaced the lift pump on my my ISL, Cummins told me I only need to replace the pump (3 small bolts) not the entire housing and pump...NOT ! Fuel everywhere when I turned the key on so there is two different gaskets. Still worth buying one but it may not be the correct one. This was in 2014 on a 03 engine.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #6

I changed mine myself last year on my ISC, not a bad job fairly easy to do yourself. I bought the pump from Cummins I think for around 375 or 400 dollars, you might find it for a better price some place else. Some on here have said they just tighten up the 3 bolts on it and that solved there leaking problem, I didn't try that I just replaced it with a new one. Mine was located right above the starter, I accessed it from the top side of the engine through the hatch in the bedroom closet on my Windsor.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, cummins