Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

Cummins won't run cold

I was wondering if anyone else has seen the problem I am having with my MH and the ISL engine.
A little history-I had the software updated by a Cummins rep at the maintenance seminar in Indiana back in May of this year. It was cold and the next day I went to leave it wouldn't run anymore than 15-20 seconds before it would stall. It would start right back up but would continue to stall until the temp gage can off the lower peg. Then it would run fine. I called the Cummins rep back while I was still there but he couldn't find anything wrong. I never had a problem like this prior to the software update. This problem has continued since then but will only happen when the outside temperature is below 50 degrees. Sometimes the check engine light will flash and sometimes it will remain on for a few miles but when it warms up the light goes out and all is well. I keep it in a conditioned storage building and it starts up and runs fine in there. Took a trip out west in October and the 50 degree situation proved to be accurate.
I have had it to the local guy who does all my work and he couldn't find anything and I have also been to the local diesel guru but the same. Both of then did read a code that said there is a problem with the fuel pressure but that doesn't seem to explain why it only happens when its below 50 degrees and why it would go away after warming. I visited the Cummins service center in Charlotte today and got the same information and they couldn't explain it either. They even checked the fuel pump pressure and said it was within spec.
I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions and/or similar problems that I could have looked at?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think I would revert the software back to where it was.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Grid heater not coming on?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #4

.....yup, I was thinking maybe grid heater[s] too but if they failed, engine would simply take longer to start--ie, would use compression alone to warm up and get started. But once warm enough to fire and running, it would continue to warm and keep running. Think I would revert to previous software version--if possible.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Think I would revert to previous software version--if possible.....
That may be the problem. Maybe they have no way of changing back!
Old 12-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We had a problem pretty well exactly the same years ago with a customer's truck. Problem is, my old mind can't seem to bring up the cause and fix!
I'll think on it for a while and hopefully it will come to me.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #7

Could be borderline low coolant. As the engine warms, the coolant expands enough to clear the fault.

Had it happen once.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Twinboat, I think you are onto something!
If the ECM update changed his program from "warning" to "shutdown" with an error code, the engine will shut off rather than just flash a warning on the dash.
Seems to me there is "warning", "limp mode" or "shutdown" options.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:21 AM   #9

Thanks for the ideas!!
I did talk to Cummins while I was there about reverting back to the old software and after a 'deer in the headlight' look they said they couldn't do it. I may have to go to another cummins service center to double check.
I will check the coolant level at my next visit to the storage building.
The engine has never had a problem with longer cranking in the cold so pre-heater may not be the problem although I will mention at my next service.
Thanks for the input!!
Old 12-27-2017, 05:23 AM   #10

By the way is a grid heater the glow plugs that are used to start the engine or are they something else?
Old 12-27-2017, 06:36 AM   #11

Mike, it is a small grid that heats up the air coming into the intake manifold. On my 04 ISB it is located curb side next to the EGR sensor. It receives power when the ignition key is turned on and shuts off when the wait to start light goes out.
USAF Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #12

Twinboat- I went the storage and checked by coolant level and it was down. I added about a gallon of anti-freeze to bring the level halfway between max and min. Next chance I get I will leave outside and try to start. I little cold right now and it won't go above freezing all day. Back in the forties the next few days. Cold for here in Carolina!
When I get an answer I will post.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #13

Great, even if it doesn't fix it, you have full coolant.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Watch your voltage gauge on prestart. If it drops then comes backup just as the wait to start light goes off the grid is working. Then depending on temp just after start you should see the voltage drop again as the grid control sees the cold air and heats again. Depending on the temp this could CYCLE several times as the motor warms. HAVE you tried to go to high idle, not racing just up a bit.

LEN

Tags
cummins