Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Dash A/C and Heater Blower Fan Problem

For a couple of years my 4 speed fan motor has only worked on 2 speeds high and 2nd I think.. well now it doesn't work at all.. the fuse checked good..even swapped it to make sure.. something in the back of my mind tells me it's not the switch on the dash but something else.. but I can't think of what it could be.. maybe something mounted on the firewall?? I don't know...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
To get various speeds, the dashboard fan switch sends power through resistors that make the speeds change. These resistors, looking almost like toaster elements, get very hot and are cooled by the moving air in the plenum, the large plastic box that contains the fan, A/C coil, and heater core. The resistors are called a 'resistor pack' and can be identified by a number of wires in a plug on the side of the plenum, usually under the windshield on the 'firewall'. If not found under the 'hood', you'll have to look under the dashboard. The plenum has all the large hoses for dash vents, floor vents, etc. The plug should be in a small rectangle that is held in place by a screw or two. Unplug the wires, remove the screws, and take the resistor pack to an auto parts store. They should be able to match up a replacement pack with all the resistors in place. As they burn out, you lose speeds until you only have high speed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:01 PM   #3

Good evening Blkcould; More than likely your blower motor resistor pack has gone south. It has different sized resistor coils that the 12V goes through to give you your different blower speeds. Lots of post here on that problem and remedy. Had to replace mine on my 2000 Windsor and my, new to me, 2001 Windsor. It is a Ford part. The part number I have is D8BH19A706AB or D32H19A706AB. You can Bing or Google these numbers and you should get a Ford blower motor resistor pack. Not too bad. In the $20+ range. Depends on where you get it from. Lots of sources out there. If you need the location of the resistor pack, it is usually located on top of the heater core housing. Open your generator door. Facing the coach, look for the big black housing in the upper left corner. You should see a wire harness going to the top of the housing. Wiggle and pull up to disconnect the harness from the resistor pack. The pack is held in place with two small screws. Remove screws and lift resistor pack out. I know, it is a great area to work in up there. I see you have a Diplomat. I don't think your generator slides out the front of the coach. This makes it more fun to get up in that small space to get to the resistor pack. Once you do get it out you can check it with an ohm meter to see if it is bad, or just get a new one and plug it in to see if you get all your blower speeds back. Hope this helps. Let us know how things work out on your repair.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #4

I finally got the resistor replaced.. didn't do anything.. still no air.. so.. I decided to take it to the mechanic shop.. on the way down my bumpy driveway.. it started working.. I turned around and parked it.. a guy at the parts house says he thinks I may have a contact sticking and the bump shook it loose...
Old 04-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Often the dash fan switch connects through a relay that handles the heavier load of the fan motor. Check in the chassis fuse/relay panel for a relay that may be failing. You probably have more than one duplicate relays, you could swap out one for the other to test. The fan motor may also be going bad, worn brushes or dirty communicator. The fan isn't rebuildable, just replace it at auto parts store.

The challenge in the motor replacement it accessing the plenum and fan motor. Some are installed with forethought for future repairs, others are put in place and the dashboard built around it, requiring much labor to just access the motor. Search the forum using the search box with the Google logo to find out if other '00 Monaco owners have described the process.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Good evening Blkcould; More than likely your blower motor resistor pack has gone south. It has different sized resistor coils that the 12V goes through to give you your different blower speeds. Lots of post here on that problem and remedy. Had to replace mine on my 2000 Windsor and my, new to me, 2001 Windsor. It is a Ford part. The part number I have is D8BH19A706AB or D32H19A706AB. You can Bing or Google these numbers and you should get a Ford blower motor resistor pack. Not too bad. In the $20+ range. Depends on where you get it from. Lots of sources out there. If you need the location of the resistor pack, it is usually located on top of the heater core housing. Open your generator door. Facing the coach, look for the big black housing in the upper left corner. You should see a wire harness going to the top of the housing. Wiggle and pull up to disconnect the harness from the resistor pack. The pack is held in place with two small screws. Remove screws and lift resistor pack out. I know, it is a great area to work in up there. I see you have a Diplomat. I don't think your generator slides out the front of the coach. This makes it more fun to get up in that small space to get to the resistor pack. Once you do get it out you can check it with an ohm meter to see if it is bad, or just get a new one and plug it in to see if you get all your blower speeds back. Hope this helps. Let us know how things work out on your repair.

Thank you for the great description. I have been trying to locate that resistor pack and did not realize it was mounted on the plenum. Found it. Makes sense.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, fan, heat, heater