Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dash a/c blower speed switch

Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for the dash a/c on an 04 Windsor? My fan only works on high speed. I checked the switch and believe it is good, but need to check downstream for voltage into the fan enclosure before I tear it apart.
late starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Roger, sounds like the resister pack on the firewall outside has failed. It also has a thermal fuse and that can fail. The pack can be found at most Ford and some auto parts stores. Thermal fuse can be purchased at Radio Shack.

See the attachments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewFuse.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	18784   Click image for larger version

Name:	ResistorArray.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	18786  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Relay_Resistors_Circuit Breakers.pdf (131.8 KB, 277 views)

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Rex! I took it out and the fuse is open. I'm going to Radio Shack this afternoon.
I really appreciate the info. I just assumed that was a regular terminal, and would have opened the box. You saved me a lot of time and probably some blood!
late starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Roger, the fuse is sensitive when you solder it in. Put an alligator clip near the fuse to take some of the heat or it may damage the fuse.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Similar problem on our 2003 Monaco Camelot. The AC/heater blower fan only works on high, The blower fan is not working on the 2 lower switch positions. From what I have read on this and other threads it sounds like the resistor pack. Anyone know where this will be found on our unit? I am hoping it will be on the outside of the front fire wall accessible above the genset compartment.

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco38 View Post
Similar problem on our 2003 Monaco Camelot. The AC/heater blower fan only works on high, The blower fan is not working on the 2 lower switch positions. From what I have read on this and other threads it sounds like the resistor pack. Anyone know where this will be found on our unit? I am hoping it will be on the outside of the front fire wall accessible above the genset compartment.
Most often these resistors (they look like short lengths of curled wire) are next to the fan they control because they use the moving air to cool the resistors with. Again often the wire connector that plugs into the resistor is melted/charred.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I don't find it in any clearly obvious place, like on the external side of the firewall above the genset. Will it be in a case, or uncovered? Anyone familiar with the 2003 Monaco Camelot, or similar model know where it will be found. Hope it won't require dismantling the dash.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Well, I don't find it in any clearly obvious place, like on the external side of the firewall above the genset. Will it be in a case, or uncovered? Anyone familiar with the 2003 Monaco Camelot, or similar model know where it will be found. Hope it won't require dismantling the dash.
This is where it was on my 2001 Diplomat and it is in essentially the same place on my 2003 Windsor.

The resistor pack is mounted with the spade lugs protruding from the surface of the plate which is fastened to the plenum. The resistors (wire coils) extend into the plenum and are not visible until the assembly is removed. There are two, small screws holding the resistor pack in place. There is a connector plug with wires in positions that match the spade lugs protruding from the resistor pack. It may be difficult to see the plug/resistor pack when in place. You may have to run your hand over the plenum exterior to locate it. The plenum is that black plastic box-like affair with the yellow label. It probably says something like "Specific Climate Systems" on the label.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, Thank you for that information, and the picture. Found it. When I was looking and feeling around yesterday I had actually pulled that plug loose, and plugged it back onto those spade prongs not knowing that was the resistor pack. Didn't know exactly what I was looking for at the time. The plug was actually a little loose and there was tension on the wiring harness so the plug practically fell right off the spade prongs. Haven't checked yet to see if just a loose plug is my only problem. I am sure from the symptoms that the resistor pack is probably "fried" That is a pretty tight spot to manage getting to those screws. It looks like I'll be doing it blind by feel. Have you had to replace yours before on your Diplomat, or your "new" Windsor? If so what was your source for the replacement part? Thanks again for the help. iRV2 comes through again!!

Have read lots of your helpful posts since we both joined. We are just down the road from you, right off the freeway south of Tumwater. Would love to make your personal acquaintance sometime. We are on our first extended weekend outing of the season down at Cannon Beach RV Resort at the moment getting our ocean fix before rejoining the real world Tuesday evening.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #10

Radio Shack Part Number 270-1320

Quote:
Have you had to replace yours before on your Diplomat, or your "new" Windsor? If so what was your source for the replacement part?
Glad the info was of use, Jerry. Yes, I had to replace the thermal fuse in both coaches. I used the Radio Shack replacement 270-1320 rated at 288*F.

I think one of the reasons that it is a common failure is that the thermal fuse is located too close to one of the coiled wire resistors. If the original assembly of the resistor pack errors on the side of close proximity between the fuse and the resistor, the rated temperature is exceeded and the fuse opens.

I could find no reason like a binding fan motor or low air flow to explain why the fuse opened in either coach. It happened twice in the Windsor and after the second failure I made sure the resistor and fuse were separated to the extent practical given the length of the leads, location of the tabs to which the leads are connected, and the confines of the perforated metal shield that encloses the resistor pack when installed.

We used the dash HVAC extensively on this last two-month trip. Mainly for heat and at fan speeds which required the resistors' use in the circuit. It worked fine and there was no indication of the resistor pack or its connections overheating.

We'd love to get together. We've adopted the routine of spending the last night homeward bound in Potlatch. There's a neat little RV park right on Hood Canal and puts us home around noon the following day. DW insists on unpacking the coach before nightfall of the day we get back.

There's always Quartzsite in January. Much of the help I've received has been from the Monaco owners who get together there and here on iRV2. Maybe we could rendezvous in one of those places.

Good luck with your dash A/C.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Always amazed at my repair skills. Turned on the ignition and checked the blower speeds. It now works on all selected speeds. Apparently it was only a loose plug and not a failed part, and all it needed was to have the plug reset on the prongs. Was quite loose when I found it, with tension on it from the tight wiring harness. At least I now know where it is located when it actually "fries". Wish all repairs were that easy. Tnx again Dave and the others on this thread for the great information on this AC/Heater blower speed issue. Learned alot. Now if I can only remember it for when I need it next time. Good thing for forum "search"

Old 04-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Always amazed at my repair skills. Turned on the ignition and checked the blower speeds. It now works on all selected speeds. Apparently it was only a loose plug and not a failed part, and all it needed was to have the plug reset on the prongs. ...Wish all repairs were that easy.
Glad it turned out to be that easy, Jerry!

Tags
dash