Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dash A/C hose replacement on Camelot PDQ 42.

Looks like I am going to need to replace a A/C hose for the dash air on my coach. Trying to talk to REV parts to see if they have one. I would like to use the old hose to pull the new hose or if I have to cut the old hose I will try and pull a rope to use to get the new hose into place.
Have any of you folks replaced a dash air hose ?? Looks like it is going to be a real adventure so any advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED [emoji51][emoji51]!!
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You're not going to pull the new hose because the old one is tie wrapped to the roof of the basement. You will have to remove the old hose and take it somewhere like NAPA and have a new one made. Then you'll have to weave the new one in place. The opening at the front and back of the basement is sealed with foam.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #3

You will never get the hose run with the ends on. You need to run the hose and then put the ends on. Dont mess with REV . Get a 50 ft roll of hose and run it. You can probably get 50 ft cheaper. Just leave the old hose. Cut the ends off so you know what kind of ends to get.

Jim E
06 exec
bigjim8499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
An alternative is to install a new hose section and steel fitting on the end of your current hose. A good A/C shop with a hydraulic crimper can do this.

If you raise your coach all the way up on the air ride and place some jack stands under the rear engine cross brace, you can climb underneath the coach just in front of the rear drive axle. You will be able to see the tunnel that all the cables, wires, and hoses are routed. Like Dennis says, they are tied down every few inches.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Dash AC is repaired !!!
I finally finished the dash AC repair and it wasn’t a big deal !!
I took the MH down to my local AC parts house to make sure I bought the correct hoses and fittings, thinking I was going to need to replace all the AC hoses from the engine, to the dash. The guy looked at the hoses and said they were fine! I ended up replacing the fittings at the compressor, they were leaking, adding a 2’ length of hose to each, and installing a splice. I also replaced the dryer.
I then took the coach down to a local shop, had the system evacuated and charged. It’s blowing very cold air, 25* at the closest vent to the condenser, YAHOO !!!
Couldn’t be happier !!! Total time for repairs, about 4 hours.
I did have to buy a hand held crimper from amazon, but it worked like a charm !!
Picture of splice, crimped on 1 side, and both sides, on the coach.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7900.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	275767Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7899.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	275768

Sure easier than replacing all the hoses !!
Old 02-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Whew! I was holding my breath for you, Greg. Glad you got it done, and heck of a LOT simpler than it coulda been.

If I understand, you didn't need to run new hoses the entire length, just an end and new fittings/dryer there?
Did the AC shop go by a refill amount of freon or by pressure?

Reason I'm asking is wife said I better find that magic 'roundtuit' and get busy fixing mine .
Old 02-21-2020, 02:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rusty! The dryer was up front and very easy to get to. Only cost about $20.00.
The shop went by the gauges when filling and it took 5 lbs.
The crimping tool saved the day because none of the local shops had one ?? Couldn’t believe that, and I called every shop I could find. Seems silly...
Old 02-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
When I cut the old hoses, in the engine bay, about 24” from the compressor, I thoroughly inspected them, because they run right at the back and above the engine where it gets really hot! They were perfect. I flexed them repeatedly, and they showed no sign of ANY cracking. They truly looked like new. At that point I went back to the AC supplier and bought the fittings and the couplers. The fittings are a little unusual, big surprise, so they reused the upper fitting’s tubing, it was a longer than normal offset, and welded it to a new coupler and nut. Worked perfectly. I bought a little extra length on the hoses to be sure I had enough.
I would be surprised if your hoses need to be replaced. I figured I’d the hoses were okay back in the engine compartment, they must be okay where they are protected from all the elements running up to the front.
Maybe I got Lucky ??
Old 02-21-2020, 05:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the details, almost wants me to jump right in there and get started on it... right after the zillion other projects in line!

Again, glad it went smooth. And congrats for getting it done so well.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:02 AM   #10

Thanks for the post and the details Greg glad you got your fixed that easy. This is exactly what is going on with my dash a/c. I found that it is leaking at the rear coupler as yous was, mine has a hole in it the red dye came right through. Which crimping tool did you purchase?
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
mlh2013,
This is what I have. Worked perfectly with my 20v Dewalt impact driver !! Very easy to hold!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7906.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	517.7 KB
ID:	275836Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7907.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	275837
If you are in my area, Reno, NV, I am happy to loan it to fellow forum members !
Old 02-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Road-Trip!!
Old 02-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnlandrus View Post
mlh2013,
This is what I have. Worked perfectly with my 20v Dewalt impact driver !! Very easy to hold!!
Attachment 275836Attachment 275837
If you are in my area, Reno, NV, I am happy to loan it to fellow forum members !
Thanks Greg for the offer to lend the crimping tool , but we are a loooong distance apart. I looked that model up on Amazon 147.39 will get me one. I might check with some of the shops in the area first and see if they have one.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the offer, Greg. Wife won't go that far w/o the dash AC, so I'll have to get my own tool. And thanks again for the writeup, makes it much easier to ease into the project with advance insight.

I'm interested to see who else jumps in here about this project. I've noticed that a lot of times someone will post about what they've done and pretty-soon several more folks will start talking about it and ask questions on getting started ... uhhh, just like me

So, whatcha gonna fix next for us?

Tags
ace, dash, replace, replacement