Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

Dash A/C not cooling

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but did not turn up on my search. Just returned from a short trip and the dash a/c quit. Blows plenty of air, but doesn't cool. I have never attempted to work on the a/c unit, so not sure what to do. I do remember something about the Freon used in older units is probably no longer available.

2008 Monaco Dynasty
Roadmasterr Chasis
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Dash A/C not cooling

Yours will have the latest freon R-134A like our 2002. First thing you need to do is get a set of gages on it. I had to replace the dryer after having system evacuated then vacuum down the system then do a full refill to the specs on the back of the Evans unit. Worked great but I still have a slow leak somewhere in the 40' of lines.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #3

Thanks Spk64. I have 3 weeks to get it done, so will start Monday morning.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #4

Most issues for leaks stem from the fittings on the hoses. Check fittings on back of pump too. From sniffers help find slow leaks.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #5

I'm following closely here. I noticed Friday on a short run to get new tires installed on the coach my dash a/c wasn't cooling either. It's on my 07 Neptune and has always been cold until all of a sudden on this trip. It's not a huge deal as I usually run genny with overhead air on but i still want it fixed. I guess I'll have to find a shop to look at it. Please keep us posted on what you find. Thanks

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
With the engine running, turn it on, and go look to see if the AC compressor clutch has picked up and is turning.........if not, pull the small wire off the AC compressor and see if it has 12 VDC going to the compressor.
If there is 12VDC on the wire, and the clutch is not engaging, it might be low on Freon, and the low pressure switch is not able to pickup to engage the clutch.........the low pressure switch is a safety switch so you don't burn up the compressor. The low pressure switch could also be bad.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby49 View Post
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but did not turn up on my search. Just returned from a short trip and the dash a/c quit. Blows plenty of air, but doesn't cool. I have never attempted to work on the a/c unit, so not sure what to do. I do remember something about the Freon used in older units is probably no longer available.

2008 Monaco Dynasty
Roadmasterr Chasis
Topic is never ending, Why? because in my History they never get fixed to work more than 1/2 of the next trip.

So solution for most of us after spending thousands $$ is to fire up the generator and turn on the A/C - works and the Coach is cool when we arrive.

Seems now every year i will put in a large bottle of freon, R-134A - just to leak out - helps in that the A/C is at least not HOT - Have had it repaired three times all lasted less than 500 miles so -

JMHO,

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I'm taking mine in next week. I noticed a bunch of oily fluid on top the generator. I think a line blew or something because then my dash Ac quit. Clutch doesn't engage now.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had mine charged last summer. Dead when I went to use it. Shop thought there may be a big leak somewhere. They are going to pure the system, charge with nitrogen, and then hunt for the leak, fix, purge and recharge with refrigerant.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Mine too, it died on the way back from colorado last august and sorry, all 3 ac's at full tilt will only mitigate the heat coming through that front firewall - it's porous !!!

I waited until this March to get it fixed hoping it would last the summer
Old 05-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Mine too, it died on the way back from colorado last august and sorry, all 3 ac's at full tilt will only mitigate the heat coming through that front firewall - it's porous !!!

I waited until this March to get it fixed hoping it would last the summer
Lol...I found the same thing a few weeks ago....
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Some engines have the AC on a drive belt of it's own. It's possible you have lost that belt.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by monacojim View Post
Some engines have the AC on a drive belt of it's own. It's possible you have lost that belt.
Mine does have a separate belt. Not sure about the OP as to what his has.I looked up from underneath yesterday and belt looks great. I haven't had a chance yet to check and see if compressor starts or not. Will try this week if I have time to troubleshoot it. Thanks for suggestion.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #14

a/c warm

I was also blowing air but not even cool so I went to auto parts store and bought the Freon for my 2008 Monaco dynasty and after 2 months it still blows cold. All these coaches will lose Freon so just add the Freon yourself because if you go to a dealer they will make it cold for big bucks.
ken bauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, dash