RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Dash A/C Vacuum Pump

The vacuum pump for our dash A/C has quit. I did get it to run for a couple of seconds when probing the wires leading into it but it did not continue to operate.

There have been a number of threads about the vacuum pump on these Frigette units but the pumps do not look like the one in ours.

I'm not sure if the pump is driven by an internal electric motor or by air pressure. As the photo shows there is an air line connected to the unit.

I'd like to have it identified and a source located before tearing into it but could not find a similar pump in Rex's very fine parts list. NB: Am sitting in the Golden Shore RV Park in Long Beach, CA.

Guidance?

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...=20965&cat=500

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #2

If it were me, I would call Monaco tech support.

wmdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Dave can't say for sure, but that looks like an air driven vacuum pump. If so it is not the normal electric that many of us have. I know Monaco did build some that used air to create a vacuum as it was forced through a narrow path.

Have you tried to get it to operate with the engine running? Give that a try
and if it works then, guess that is the type you have.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Dave can't say for sure, but that looks like an air driven vacuum pump. If so it is not the normal electric that many of us have. I know Monaco did build some that used air to create a vacuum as it was forced through a narrow path.

Have you tried to get it to operate with the engine running? Give that a try
and if it works then, guess that is the type you have.
Thanks, Rex. I think you're right about it being air driven. The Victory Climate Systems parts list does not show a pump of this type. I sent them a request for information.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia, Linux Mint
Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you can disassemble the unit and open the internal MAC valve that controls the venturi vacuum pump air supply and flush with solvent. That may fix it if the valve is sticking.
You can also replace unit with an electric vacuum generator used in Diesel trucks. I found a Ford replacement for just over $100.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #6

Thanks, DtBt. That's the plan. I would like to know if and where from the pneumatic driven vacuum pumps are available before converting to the electrically operated one.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I priced one from Monaco last year and it was over $200 - at that time!! Mine is the exact same as yours Dave. It will come apart pretty easily. Mine has the little air valve that is broken - can't find it anywhere - other than Monaco.
Unfortunately, it is needed - that vacuum controls your heater/ac doors in the dash to provide heat/ac where you want it. You'll know it is going bad when you only have heat coming out of the dash when idling. That black ball is a reservoir to maintain vacuum when cruising.
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsizer View Post
I priced one from Monaco last year and it was over $200 - at that time!! Mine is the exact same as yours Dave. It will come apart pretty easily. Mine has the little air valve that is broken - can't find it anywhere - other than Monaco.
Unfortunately, it is needed - that vacuum controls your heater/ac doors in the dash to provide heat/ac where you want it. You'll know it is going bad when you only have heat coming out of the dash when idling. That black ball is a reservoir to maintain vacuum when cruising.
Downsizer, et al;

I priced a 12VDC mechanical pump, as described in this and other threads, at a Ford dealer in Carson, CA, who wanted $186 +tax. So back to the internet and found them at various outlets including Amazon, priced from $55 to $150. Some were clearly knock-offs.

Finding a compressed air driven one seems to be a lost cause. And even if one were found, my sense is that it would be more expensive than the 12VDC driven ones.

Am away from the coach just now but will look at removing and attempting repair of the existing one next week.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hi Dave

In March 2009 I thought I had "lost" my vacuum pump, so i bought a new one from Monaco - price $125

As it turned out it was not a defect so I carry one in my "spares box". I have dug it it out and taken a couple of photo's in the hope that you can locate one at a cheaper place. it looks very much like it's made for Ford.

I am sure that the price Monaco was charging was daylight robbery.

I hope this helps, or maybe this is not the one you have on your MH?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here is one on ebay - $95.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #11

Thanks, Henrik Though that's not the pump from our coach, it's likely to be the one we switch to. It, or a varient thereof, is the one most commonly available. I'm a little surprised that Ford seems to be the most prominent supplier of these things.

Since the pump powered by compressed air is difficult to find, I'll change over to the 12VDC varient such as the one in your picture.

Best,
Old 03-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #12

Problem solved! Turns out that the "pump" (vacuum generator) itself was not bad. This afternoon was the first chance I had to take a look at the problem in the flesh.

The problem was the wires feeding +12VDC and Ground to the "pump" were crimped too hard in the barrel splice connectors. They were pinched to the point of one breaking completely off.

I soldered the connections and all is well. The wire pair is visible in the picture included in the original post. The barrel connectors are just inside the plastic loom.

Thanks to all who responded. It helped me understand how the system was supposed to work and thus what to look for.

While not part of this problem, looking for a pump left one question unanswered; why is it that Ford seems to be the only main line vehicle maker that offers a replacement vacuum pump? Surely, GM and truck makers like Kenworth have vacuum pumps or vacuum generators.

Go figure.

Best,
Old 07-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I had a dash air problem, After reading the post I started to investigate. Long story short, the vacuum line going into the dash controls had come off. I presume this caused the vacuum generator to run excessively and eventually burn itself out. After a couple of attempts at repairing the generator, I started looking for the "ford" electric version shown in this post. The vacuum generator is an aftermarket unit and not available from ford, however the ford parts guy told me it was made by Dorman and the part number is the same, 904-214. Sourced one from Piston Ring in Canada for $150 available the next day. Installed and wired in the MH and now I have all the functions of the dash AC working. Thanks all for your input, the info was very helpful. Sparky
Sparky56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
Hi Dave

In March 2009 I thought I had "lost" my vacuum pump, so i bought a new one from Monaco - price $125

As it turned out it was not a defect so I carry one in my "spares box". I have dug it it out and taken a couple of photo's in the hope that you can locate one at a cheaper place. it looks very much like it's made for Ford.

I am sure that the price Monaco was charging was daylight robbery.

I hope this helps, or maybe this is not the one you have on your MH?
I Am Going the Same Route with the Ford Pump But I Ordered the Bracket from Ford & was $86 Canadian,That should Keep it Quieter Running & Dorman Makes the Pigtail for This Pump Too , But Deleted the Number off my Phone Sorry

Killer_mech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash