Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #1

Hi folks,
I just ran the diagnostics and it appears our dash a/c compressor is shot.

I've looked through all the owners info and can't quite seem to figure out which compressor it is. Any idea? It looks like an automotive compressor and it'd be nice to run to NAPA for new parts.

1996 Dynasty
Cummins 300 C8.3
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #2

Hi folks,
I just ran the diagnostics and it appears our dash a/c compressor is shot.

I've looked through all the owners info and can't quite seem to figure out which compressor it is. Any idea? It looks like an automotive compressor and it'd be nice to run to NAPA for new parts.

1996 Dynasty
Cummins 300 C8.3
Old 05-27-2008, 04:20 AM   #3

Hey,

I just joined up. I also have a 96 Dynasty but with the 325 hp C8.3. Recently my AC compressor died - it froze up and the AC belt broke. How do you know yours did?

I say this because several years ago mine stopped working but it was a simple connection. Once that was fixed all worked for years.

As I was having mine repaired (EXPENSIVE) I learned several things.
1. NEVER add more freon it there are ANY additives. If you use ANY additives many shops won't touch it as there recovery machines can't handle the additive and be used again.

2. Just changing the compressor is a potential for missing bad stuff in the lines. I Googled A/C repairs once and got a great DIY site that covered many things you can do to see it you had a real internal failure, which would be nice to know before just any repairs are recommended.

3. The AC compressor on your diesel should be upper RT and powered with a normal looking fanbelt. If you want a picture of mine, I will send it to you.

4. Always consider simple, cheap fixes first like fuses, relays, wire connections, etc. but like mine last year, I replaced a broke fan belt, started the rig and once the AC clutch engaged it broke the belt again as the compressor was not turning. If yours is turning, consider trouble shooting the simple fixes first.

I hope this helps. If you need more, just email or call me.

WebMan
Webman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #4

Webman,
this is Tamara's husband (who actually and accidently used his wifes login to describe our compressor issue).

I used a guage set to read the high and low pressures and they were the same (about 80 psi) with the A/C running. By using the selector on the dash, I could turn the compressor on and off so the electrical system is working OK.

The pressures being (high and low side) the same give away the fact that it is indeed the compressor. The good news is that the system is holding pressure (I'm always looking for a silver lining).

I have added no additives but am not concerned as I will evacuate the system myself and do all the repairwork myself. I've done AC repairs on many occasions and have the stuff to do it, I just have not done this on an RV before.

I was hoping some brilliant person could tell me which compressor and how much freon to add. If none exist, I'll get there anyway.

Having just joined, did you also just acquire the RV?
Steve Sauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #5

If your high and low pressures are the same, consider looking at the TXV (thermal expansion valve) at the evaporator.

I would not run off and be changing the compressor. Do you have the vacuum pump needed to evacuate the system if you do change it out?

I'm no expert for sure! When I had a problem I relied on one. It turned out to need a few minor things, but not a compressor.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Steve,
You said the a/c was on. Does that also mean the compressor was turning, and not just the pulley. Usually when both sides are equalized, the compressor clutch is not engaged. If you can do the repairs and charge it, you may know more than you are letting on here. Do you have 12 volts and ground at the electical plug at the compressor clutch. Again, if the compressor is engaged, ie, the center part of the pulley, you are right and the compressor is on. Lets us know.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #7

Steve,

I have owned my 96 Dynasty since Oct 2000. I bought it in Tucson AZ just before moving to the Hampton Roads area of VA. AZ is a great area for RVing and VA is OK, different and we are still learning about it. I was in the AF and retired last year. Being in the AF caused my Monaco to sit too long with very few trips a year. So, getting it ready for more use was expensive but worth it.

My wife and I are also trying to do most of our own work too. But the AC was beyond me. I also let the repair shop replace my leveler lines at the same time (they were weeping fluid for years). And currently I am dealing with a power steering hose issue and plan on replacing all the hydraulic lines later this year - slowly and DIYing it to the max.

I find this forum most interesting and wish I had found it sooner.

To all of you who have commented today - thanks and I look forward to a great relationship with you fellow Monaco owners!

WebMan (a Steve (Stephen) too.)
Webman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
OK...I don't usually do this in one post...but I have to make an exception this time. There are too many "first time posters...
Tamara - Webman - Steve Sauer - Will you each say "Karma please" so I can add that special name under your own personal name??? Pretty please?

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:29 AM   #9

Les,
Yes, I have all the equipment to do the work (including and awesome vacuum) I just have to go shake the money tree again! I will look at the thermal expansion valve, but I'm pretty confident the compressor is wasted.

Harry,
with the dash A/C off, the clutch is not engaged. When I turn the dash A/C on, the clutch engages and I have the same pressure accross the compressor (80 psi on the high and low side).

All,
I have seen a Monaco tech service discussion but is there a phone number?

Steve,
I wish I was retired...gotta put three girls through college and I'm 8 years away for the first one! I'm a major DIY kinda guy that has rebuild cars in the past as well as build a Cobra replica from parts. I'm also a woodworker.

MonacoMama,
Karma please...does it bring money or women (I don't need any more tho thanks!)
Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Good Morning Steve,
Yes there is a Monaco Tech Support Phone: (877) 466-6226.
That number is usually on the back of the "Owners Book".

I have given you your "free Karma" ... the other karma you will earn with your posts...which we look forward to reading. We always welcome DIY type members with hopes they will have some great input!

Again...welcome to iRV2 AND the Monaco Forum!

MM

(PS... ask Tamara if I can add Karma to her also!)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #11

Steve, my 95 Dynasty compressor is a Tama 488-45011. Almost like your wifes name. 95 Dynasty 07 vue toad.
flattop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #12

The fitting coming off low pressure side of the compressor on our coach broke off in the nut and couldn't be seen. Naturally lost all Freon. The hose was so short the fitting couldn't be cut off and another put on, even re-routing the hose. A local shop that handle hydraulic hoses and fittings, Aeroquip, etc. had the fitting and an adapter to splice in another piece of hose to the existing one giving plenty of slack for vibration dampening. Brought it to an auto AC shop where they totally evacuated the system and recharged it with Freo and lubricants. That was 3yrs ago and it still cools better now than when new. Total cost was about $200 and my time which aint worth much.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:44 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tama 488-45011 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks everyhone for the responses.

flattop, thats the same model number I have as well. The cost directly from Monaco was $975, I found the same unit out of Fort Worth for $338 however, found a comparable unit from O Reilly auto parts for $280.

I now know that the following 3 units will work:
brand - Tama (part number 488-45011)
brand - Sanden (part number 4509)
brand - Murray (part number 58621)

Later today I ought to get to flush, install new parts, vacuum the system and charge it up.

I'll let you know how it goes
Old 06-07-2008, 05:16 AM   #14

Karma please... but like Steve said, if that comes with women, you can keep it - we have too much estrogen in this house... family of 5, and Steve is the only boy in the group!

Shhhh... I haven't warned him about the teenage years yet.