Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #15

Just in case you don't realize it - you can run the generator and power the A/C whiile driving. Mine seems to use less than half gallon per hour just powering the front A/C. Somewhere in my Cummins manual I read that it is actually more economical than running the dash A/C. Seems strange, but since my compressor is bad we do it and I can't tell the difference in fuel consumption.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #16

Thanks for all the help! I can't find the old belt but everything seems to move smoothly so I just need to figure out what belt I need. Any tips are appreciated on that front too.
My front roof ac isn't cooling properly either, which is why the dash ac is so important!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #17

Oh. And how do I get the new belt on? Lol.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I know 100 psi will close the switch, but if it turns on and then immediately draws down below the cutout, it will disengage the compressor. This is assuming it is a switch that has low pressure cutout. Result is it does not make cold air inside. Extreme short cycling will not provide cool air.

I didn't see where he reported seeing big rapid swings in pressure in his a/c pressure gage reading that would have been seen with extreme short cycling .

As you stated below without a/c gages it's a shot in the dark.

I NEVER said that volume equaled anything in relation to pressure. I stated that 100 psi indicated he has some refrigerant in the system. This also indicates he did not have catastrophic failure and system is open to atmospheric pressure. It tells me the system is still closed, and with some diagnostic tests and values, it might be an easy fix like recharge. Guessing without some pressure and visual information on the internet is no value.

He apparently does have a gage of some kind and him reporting 100psi does have some sort of value to a diagnosis the failure.

My pointing out pressure volumes was not for you ....but for others here that may not have known.

It was more than obvious ( to me ) that you have a solid background in a/c.

Again as you stated it's a wild guess without gages.

I made the assumption that he has some sort of a/c gage set up because of him reporting 100 p.s.i. in his findings and that if the system does indeed use a pressure cycling switch and was short cycling, he would have see big rapid pressure swings of @ 100 psi - 30 psi as you stated and that was not what he reported.

As you stated with out gages it's a shot in the dark and was only trying to give him a close shot by shooing from the hip with what he reported in his post.

Lets get him on the right track with what he has to accomplish and with the tooling that he has to work with. But again I agree about A/C gages they are are cheap compared to mobil a/c shop rates and worth having around.https://www.google.com/search?q=air+...45811165087579
Old 07-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmoberly76 View Post
Well, at least I know what the problem is. �� thanks! Is it a common belt I could get at an auto parts store?
One size does NOT fit all, unfortunately. If the old belt is somewhere to be found, that's best. Otherwise you need to take a piece of cord and wrap it around the pulleys where the old belt was to get a length. Then pick up a few belts close to the size of your cord, both smaller and larger, then return the unused ones. Its a trial by error to get the correct one unless someone chimes in here that has your same set up and can get you a correct belt model number.

Any chance you have coach net? they would be able to help.

It was mentioned to check your a/c pulley to see if it did freeze up. If you can't turn it by hand (engine not running), then you have other issues that will need to be resolved.

I have a buddy that has a Tiffin and the a/c compressor froze up while driving. On his particular coach, the belt running the a/c is also running the water pump, so of course the engine started to overheat once the a/c condenser froze up and broke the belt. I'm not sure how your coach's belts are set up. I know mine is not set up that way.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmoberly76 View Post
Oh. And how do I get the new belt on? Lol.
You have the rear radiator. You don't even want to ask.

Check you're other belts. If you have not changed them, I'd do so now. A lot easier to do in a controlled environment at home, then out on the highway with 4 kids and a dog.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Woops, I just re-read your signature. 5 kids. Definitely get it resolved BEFORE you leave home.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #22

Thanks, any tips regarding how to get the belt installed would be a help. I'm kindve terrified with the comment about the rear radiator....
Old 07-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #23

FYI should you decide to forgo the a/c repair for the time being it would be prudent to replace that fan blade before your trip because it being out of balance can cause a catastrophic failure such as a water pump and more and more. Just saying

Happy Hunting
Old 07-20-2016, 05:49 PM   #24

The way that fan blade looks, you may have a fan hub or engine mount problem.

The fan, bolted to the engine, may be hitting the shroud, bolted to the chassis. That can only happen if the fan bearing is failing or the engine is moving beyond its designed clearances.

Grab that fan and see if you can feel any right, left or up, down movement.

If OK, look for lose or missing large bolts near the lower front of the engine.

I don't mean to scare you, but knowing what's wrong now, may prevent a really expensive breakdown.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #25
YC1

Great information. It appears you may need the check book to fix this one. As for the roof air, it may need the condenser cleaned. Remove shoreline and keep the generator off and remove the shroud. The condenser is easy to clean using a soft brush and soap and water. To keep water from going inside the rv when cleaning the cooling condenser I use one of those thin plastic cutting boards. Use a gentle spray.

You can buy a can of Condenser cleaner at Lowes etc for about $5. It is really amazing stuff and seems gentle on everything.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The way that fan blade looks, you may have a fan hub or engine mount problem.

The fan, bolted to the engine, may be hitting the shroud, bolted to the chassis. That can only happen if the fan bearing is failing or the engine is moving beyond its designed clearances.

Grab that fan and see if you can feel any right, left or up, down movement.

If OK, look for lose or missing large bolts near the lower front of the engine.

I don't mean to scare you, but knowing what's wrong now, may prevent a really expensive breakdown.

Good call and he may also want to cautiously watch the engine while while someone else is putting that coach in and out of gear running and watching for for excessive movement. Also may want to brake torque it a very small amount both in drive and also reverse looking for excessive movement.

Happy Hunting.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:16 PM   #27

Good suggestions to figure out why your fan blade has that damage. Something obviously hit it. Might have been the belt, or could be other like the mounts allowing too much flex. Obviously without a belt to turn your compressor, it can't do any compression and subsequent cooling. The concern is why did your belt fail?

Just to make it clear, your pulley on that compressor should freewheel very easy and smooth. Then take you hand and try to turn the internal part. It should turn by hand but will have resistance and need a firm grip on the front.

As to replacing the belt, it has to have some adjustment spot where it loosens up the tension. As suggested, if you do not have the belt, use a piece of cord and wrap around the path to make the loop and mark it. Then go to auto parts and buy ones around your looped cord dimension.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #28

On my unit, the belt for the AC is slipped over the fan one blade at a time. Use a long ratchet in the square hole on the serpentine belt tensioner to release pressure so you can turn the fan by hand. Keep turning as you work the belt over each blade in turn.
This is a guess, but if the fan bearings or mounts are bad, it seems more than one blade would be damaged. It may have been the old belt that caused the damage in your picture. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash