Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #29

Thanks all for the helpful input.
The fan belt tests out fine.
I replaced the AC belt and it worked great for 12 hours yesterday, but this morning I heard odd noises, and when checking it out found that the AC belt is bouncing and making noise, for lack of a better term, when the front of the ac compressor spins. The front part with the 3 large bolts in the picture below. That part stops spinning, the wheel continues to spin and the belt is fine when the front end isn't spinning. Belt seems tight enough. Ac compressor tensioner seems tight. Sorry for the lack of proper terminology. Any ideas? We are sitting in 100 degree Kansas heat with a bad front roof air, so I need to be able to trust my dash AC. 🙂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160723_12_12_39_Rich_LI.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	133956  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmoberly76 View Post
I replaced the AC belt and it worked great for 12 hours yesterday, but this morning I heard odd noises, and when checking it out found that the AC belt is bouncing and making noise, for lack of a better term, when the front of the ac compressor spins. The front part with the 3 large bolts in the picture below. That part stops spinning, the wheel continues to spin and the belt is fine when the front end isn't spinning. Belt seems tight enough. Ac compressor tensioner seems tight. Sorry for the lack of proper terminology. Any ideas? We are sitting in 100 degree Kansas heat with a bad front roof air, so I need to be able to trust my dash AC. ��
What you describe sounds like that the a/c compressor is possibly seizing up

I would unplug the compressor pronto! before it spits the belt off again and the possibility of leaving you stranded due to the belt being wadded up in the pulleys and causing more problems .

Then you need to have some a/c gauges and knowledge of the your a/c system operation and determine what is causing the issue at hand. Could get pricey and fast if that compressor is indeed seizing up.

There are many reasons a a/c compressor can fail assuming that is whats going on on you coach and thats what it sounds like as you describe it.

A common reason for compressor failure is lubrication, or lack there of.... and many times this can happen on a system that has a small leak and someone has added refrigerant over and over again over the years ( or what ever time frame) and not adding refrigerant oil and the proper amount and type.

Again unplug that compressor NOW! and have a someone with a/c gages and knowledge diagnose you issue at hand.

Happy Hunting
Old 07-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #31

Rob has given you sound advice .

What is wrong with your front roof air ?
That may be a quicker fix .

Ray D
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #32

Is it possible the compressor is loose or
has some bolts missing ?
When you pull real hard on the belt does
the compressor move at all ?
The compressor should be mounted
solidly both front and rear .

Ray
Old 07-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
The front of the compressor is supposed to run for a while and then stop for a while. When it's running, that's when the compressor is actually running. If it's not spinning, the compressor clutch is engaged. Not much help I know but maybe some help.
tinstar 1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinstar 1114 View Post
The front of the compressor is supposed to run for a while and then stop for a while.

Assuming it's a cycling clutch type system.

If so you may be on to somehing

When it's running, that's when the compressor is actually running. If it's not spinning, the compressor clutch is engaged.

Lots of help.

The following scenario could be the case of if it's a cycling clutch system.

It could be that there is nothing wrong with the compressor and that the belt ( you just replaced )is not quite the proper length and just a bit too long and that the belt tensioner cant tension the belt properly now that the belt has been run in for some time. You may want to take a close look at the tensioner and make sure that's not the case.

Some belt tensioners have alignment marks with a arrow to make sure the belt is the correct length Check out this page to get an idea of what Im talking about https://www.google.com/search?q=serp...7w1yHJATnoM%3A

Belt length is a very distinct possibility in this case and a good call. But again with no a/c gage readings and not being able to see what is actually going on it's a crap shoot

Again take a very close look at the position of that belt tensioner and make sure it's not at it's max limit or very close to it and not capable of doing it's job because of incorrect belt length

Not much help I know but maybe some help.

Good call tinstar 1114

Happy Hunting to the OP
Old 07-23-2016, 09:32 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I replaced the AC belt and it worked great for 12 hours yesterday, but this morning I heard odd noises, and when checking it out found that the AC belt is bouncing and making noise, for lack of a better term, when the front of the ac compressor spins. The front part with the 3 large bolts in the picture below. That part stops spinning, the wheel continues to spin and the belt is fine when the front end isn't spinning. Belt seems tight enough. Ac compressor tensioner seems tight. Sorry for the lack of proper terminology. Any ideas? We are sitting in 100 degree Kansas heat with a bad front roof air, so I need to be able to trust my dash AC. ��
I would think that if the compressor is seizing it would be making some screeching grinding noise, what I believe is your belt is too loose.

Although I am not familiar with your A/C, the ones I have worked on, the compressor engages and disengages based on the pressure in your system, which is perfectly normal, as you stated when the "front part with the 3 large bolts" are turning your compressor is engaged, so it is putting more tension on the belt, and with the belt loose it is vibrating. When the compressor is not engage there is no tension on the belt.

It is also normal when installing a brand new belt, that it could of stretched a bit, causing the vibration in the belt when the A/C compressor is engaged
I would try to tighten the belt more

Agree with RobRoy and taking a second look at the belt tensioner making sure its not maxed out
Old 07-24-2016, 03:20 AM   #36

I don't see a tensioner on that belt in the picture.

Besides, it's a V belt.

I do see a narrow belt in a wider V grove.

The belt could have worn quickly and now riding in the bottom of the groove. That will make it slip.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:05 AM   #37

Im with Twin Boat the more that I look.

Now that I take a closer look, I didn't see a belt tensioner either. perhaps I just don’t see it.

What type of belt tensioner does this coach use?

Lots of GUESSES at this point without actually seeing what is going on.

But the more I look at this pic it is indeed a possibility that belt fitment is the issue.

Perhaps the length

Perhaps the width

I only mentioned the a/c compressor seizing because that at this point and with very limited information it is a possibility and one would certainly want to error on the side of caution and disconnect the a/c compressor for the time being until it can be ruled out so that it didn't turn from a no functioning a/c unit into a nightmare on the side of the road.

In most cases it would take some gages and someone with some a/c background to determine if it was indeed a compressor failure.

But as Twin has stated and the more I look here it's very possible that again this is a belt fitment issue for whatever reason

In your pic that belt appears to be pretty deep in the pulley as compared to this pic
https://www.google.com/search?espv=2...9CGcXTVPuUM%3A

Just wild guesses at this point with the limited information.

Happy Hunting
Old 07-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #38

It's real hard to tell but it almost looks like a multi-rib belt on there.

To the OP, is that a V shaped belt or a flat belt, like the other one that turns the fan.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It's real hard to tell but it almost looks like a multi-rib belt on there.

To the OP, is that a V shaped belt or a flat belt, like the other one that turns the fan.

Good call I wonder what the possibility of it being a flat grooved streachy type belt?

https://www.google.com/search?espv=2...4FQ4obwAs2M%3A

Starting to see more and more of them, however I would have thought the OP would have mentioned the difficulties of install it.......that is unless it was too a bit too long
Old 08-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Any ideas? We are sitting in 100 degree Kansas heat with a bad front roof air, so I need to be able to trust my dash AC. 🙂
I find it to be inconsiderate that someone cannot take the 5 min time to follow up and keep us informed on a post that they asked for help but yet had no problem making time to ask for help.

That may come across as harsh and not my intentions, I just find it very frustrating because this iRV2 is a very very valuable service information resource to helping keep our coaches maintained and on the road.

I also think it would be a nice option that if the moderators could find a way to have a fix follow up to the original post and label it as " FIXED" so that one doesn't wade thu pages and pages of responses but only to find out that the original poster appeared to have just walked away in frustration or whatever.

Thats my $0.02 a probably not even worth that.

Have a nice day!
Old 08-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #41

Rob , agree it is frustrating but maybe he will get back soon

He's probably got his hands full with 1 wife 5 kids and a dog .

I have looked at his picture of the compressor and I see what
looks like a v belt to me .
Anyway it appears it's cooling and they are gone .

I hope the chunk out of the fan blade doesn't cause a catastrophe .
Maybe he could balance it some by trimming the other blades to
match .

They better be heading over to the mountains ( Colo ) because
with only 1 roof air it's going to be hot .
Old 08-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #42

Folks, I've been visiting family in the NY north country, 5 miles from Canada. Visiting family who live on 30 acres and currently have no internet access, and ATT cell service is non-existent. So I've been offline for the past week and a half.
After my last post, we found someone to take a quick look at the dash AC, and confirmed what you all thought - the AC compressor is seizing up. He didn't have the parts, and we didn't have the time to wait for the work anyway, so we continued on our way and lived with no dash AC.
I've decided to get the roof AC replaced (as I don't believe it's fixable), but while in NY was unable to find anyone who could get the parts I needed in time. So we are on our way home, driving early morning (4am) and taking a break in the afternoon if it gets too hot. the family is spending a lot of time in the back bedroom where the AC works.
Once I'm home I'll get the roof AC unit, new thermostat and updated control board for the old back AC and attempt the replacement myself. When I end up failing I'll call in a professional.
The dash AC will remain broken for the foreseeable future as I can't afford to fix both right now.
before the trip and during the trip I've had techs look at the radiator fan and everything checks out fine despite the small damage to the one blade. looks worse in the photo than in person.
thanks again everyone for your input and help.

Tags
dash