Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2023, 11:46 AM   #1

Dash Air Conditioning

I have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty and the RV Tech just diagnosed a leak in a line that runs from the engine to the front. Anybody had to replace this line? If so, where did you get the line and what was cost for such a long line?
Pufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2023, 02:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufahl View Post
I have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty and the RV Tech just diagnosed a leak in a line that runs from the engine to the front. Anybody had to replace this line? If so, where did you get the line and what was cost for such a long line?
Hello and sorry about your trouble. Places like cauliflower and companys who specialize in making hoses should have no problem making that line for you. Just do a google search in your area. Just be prepared for some sticker shock when they tell you how much. Good luck
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:15 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Is it a coolent line or the hot water line from the engine to the dash heater? If the later can you patch the line with a coolent line coupler?
We had a coolent leak in the line from the engine to the dash heater that was caused due to the line chafing in one particular spot. Road repair with a coupler. It was still under warranty at the time so I had Freightliner replace my temp fix with a more permanent coupler and reposition the line to eliminate the chafing.
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I assume it's an A/C hose?
I don't think you can get the old A/C hose out. It goes through a tunnel under the floor between the frame rails along with lots of other hoses and wires.
It is possible to route a new hose through the tunnel by removing the ceiling to each basement compartment.

However, it's highly unlikely your hose is leaking somewhere in the tunnel. This area is well protected. Usually, the leak is somewhere in the engine compartment. It's possible it's up front by the generator. If you can locate the leak, then you can have a short hose made and have it crimped on with a portable A/C hose crimper.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:25 AM   #5

The hose in question is the air conditioning hose. Not sure if its the suction hose or pressure line but he said it runs from the front of the coach to the engine. He put dye in the system and the 90 degree fitting that attaches the hose to the compressor is where he could see the leak. I will get more information today as I plan to go see it.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
To replace the entire hose would cost $$. You could route it through the basement between the frame rails as someone mentioned. Have to drop the ceiling in each of the bays. Not easy and time consuming.

This is a relatively low pressure line.

If it is right at the fitting you might have enough slack hose to replace the fitting. Might have to pull it up through the rear hatch to be able to work on it. I've heard they do make a manual crimper to put on a new hose, just have to buy the compatible fitting pieces.

Or they do make a field fit version.

Either one of the above should work and be a lot less then a whole new hose.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:00 AM   #7

(50FT) GALAXY 4880 FLEX BARRIER A/C SUCTION HOSE (16mm) 5/8" R-134a / R-1234yf
Ebay always has deals on Goodyear Galaxy hose. (probably NOS). This one is listed for $89. You still would need to have fitting pressed on.
rske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:32 AM   #8

Keep in mind that AC hoses are not something you can just replace, if it has refrigerant in the loop opening it will vent it ALL to atmosphere, there is also a loss of lubricant (though typically a small amount in a line, not likely to make a difference) and the system would have to be vacuumed and recharged with refrigerant

Without special capture equipment you can't prevent the refrigerant from leaking out, and while you can rent manifolds and vacuum pumps at some auto parts stores, some states no longer sell certain refrigerants and the newer standards are stupid expensive
IcePyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:19 AM   #9

Quote:
I replaced both lines in our '95 Beaver. You most likely will not be able to remove the old ones, or run the new ones where the old ones were. You will need to find a new route for replacement hoses. If they are exposed, there is a cable guard large enough to wrap the hoses in for protection. I ran the hoses (two different sizes) and installed the fittings after. I used a portable hydraulic hose crimper that made the task easy.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 04:38 PM   #10

Where did you get the portable hose crimper to put a new elbow fitting on the hose? Where did you get the new fitting? I need to replace the suction #8 line where the elbow connects to the compressor.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Where did you get the portable hose crimper to put a new elbow fitting on the hose? Where did you get the new fitting? I need to replace the suction #8 line where the elbow connects to the compressor.
I also replaced both hoses in our '95 Beaver. Goodyear hoses. Once the inner barrier is breached, it leaks along the entire length of the hose. When they are mfr it, it is passed through a machine by wheels with tiny drive teeth on them. Thus, a million dots of dye appear on the hose when it starts leaking from the inside barrier. I ran new hoses to everything, then cut the old fittings off, cleaned them up, crimped them on with an expensive portable crimping unit, new O rings and a charge. Like new. I ran the new hoses under the storage bays and all of the exposed hoses were sheathed in a product like cable guard. It worked well and has for 10 years now. Well worth the investment. Doing the same to a newer Monaco '99, this week.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:40 PM   #12

Dash Air Conditioning Freon Leak

I have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor with a Sigma JP A/C Compressor model# 4508 and the #8 Discharge line is leaking where the rubber flex line and the compression fitting mate the hose and fitting together. It is also leaking in between the tube and the threaded cap that attaches the fitting to the A/C compressor. I found the leak by having dye put into the system and using a black light to find any dye that has leaked out. I have learned many people have the same problem and have difficulty getting this repaired. Many say the entire line has to be replaced or abandoned and a new line installed. However, I have done some research and found a simpler way to repair a leaking air conditioner line. You can purchase the E-Z Clip System which is a simple field attachable A/C assembly and repair system. This will allow you to cut remove the leaking portion of the line and replace it with a new section of line or fitting while installed in the vehicle. This is not a compression type system but a simple clip type application that is much more affordable than the compression solution. I have attached a PDF file with more information on E-Z Clip. I was able to repair the leak on my coach with minimal cost less than $150. This does not include the cost to evacuate the freon and then recharge the system after the repair was completed. I took coach back to my local Auto A/C Repair shop and had them refill my A/C system with 11 ounces of PAG oil and 61 ounces of R134 freon as per the Monaco Owner's manual page 249 and the system is providing very cold dash air.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:29 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, great idea.
Did you purchase the Aeroquip E-Z Clip pliers?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 02:24 AM   #14

Yes, you will need the special pliers to clamp the rings onto the hose and fitting.

Tags
air, air conditioning, dash, dash air, dash air conditioning