Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

dash air/heat only coming out defrost

I have 2003 32ft. knight the air flow only comes out the defroster, thanks for any help you can give, thanks jim d.
jim d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim d. View Post
I have 2003 32ft. knight the air flow only comes out the defroster, thanks for any help you can give, thanks jim d.
I am not familiar with your coach, but usually when the climate control goes to defrost it is a vacuum leak, there is a vacuum ball located in your engine compartment, once you find this you can trace back the vacuum lines, they will go into the cab and under the dash board to your climate control switches, they get old and dry rot
Old 08-26-2015, 07:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
X2 you have a vacuum problem as the system defaults to defrost if there is no vacuum

On the front firewall there is probably a small vacuum pump (generator) besides the black ball. My vacuum pump is actually mounted in a small black box. Here is a link to one the "might" be like yours.

http://www.evanstempcon.com/servicep...ullID=RV218234

If there is a vacuum leak you should hear a clicking noise as it will be running. In this case just trace all the lines to make sure they are connected, this includes the dash controls. If the vacuum pump is not clicking that indicates another problem, possibly electrical.

Let us know what you find
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mine did the same while back. Found the pump and rapped on it lightly with a small hammer (with the ignition on so power is to it) and it began to run. I think mine quit from lack of use and now runs fine.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #5

The vacuum pump generally runs for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on but usually drowned out by air buzzers and chimes. Also runs if you make major changes to the dash controls. Motor is controlled by an integral vacuum switch.

If you can check that there is power to the unit when ignition is on, but it still isn't running, then replacing the whole unit isn't expensive and is an easy job.

If there is a leaking vacuum line then the motor will run all the time so that is one way you can figure the difference. In that case disconnect the line going away from the unit and block the 'outlet' with your finger. If the pump stops running, the leak is external.

Unit on mine was unplugged when I bought it and ran continuously when plugged in, but that was due to a faulty vacuum switch and I was able to pull it apart and adjust it and it is still OK 5 years later. Middle name is Scrooge.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Jim I have a 2002 knight and had the same problem,on the back of your of your firewall you will see a black metal box with a hose and two wires coming out of it,you will have to remove that box and the pump is on the inside of the box,your pump will look a little different than the one that was pictured here but that's the one you will have to go back with and just leave off the box,you can find the pumps on ebay,when you unplug it, hook it up to 12volts and see if it works.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #7

dash air

Thanks guys, I will cheek out the pump, it doesn't run will try taping it to see if that works and if not I will take it apart. will let everybody know how it works out Jim D.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #8

X 2. I'm in the same predicament. Thanks for posting this!

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 09-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #9

dash air

Got to work on my Knight yesterday, vacuum pump was bad, it would get warm when the key was on and heat switch was on. Found a 2009 f250 {diesel} ford at the junk yard and removed the vacuum pump and plug wire harness for $35.00 installed on the motorhome. Turned key on and pump ran great but didn't shut off, so now I must have a vacuum leak which was the reason the pump was bad. Found the leak under the dash, it was a small red hose going to control switch. 2000 -2012 f250 &f350 diesel has the vacuum pump you need if you can find it. jim
Old 09-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Got to work on my Knight yesterday, vacuum pump was bad, it would get warm when the key was on and heat switch was on. Found a 2009 f250 {diesel} ford at the junk yard and removed the vacuum pump and plug wire harness for $35.00 installed on the motorhome. Turned key on and pump ran great but didn't shut off, so now I must have a vacuum leak which was the reason the pump was bad. Found the leak under the dash, it was a small red hose going to control switch. 2000 -2012 f250 &f350 diesel has the vacuum pump you need if you can find it. jim
Here's a new one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #11

dash air

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
The problem with that pump is I don't have a pig tail that fits.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:11 AM   #12

Quote:
The problem with that pump is I don't have a pig tail that fits.
Here's the same pump with a new pig tail included.
Amazon.com: APDTY 015325-Kit Electric Vacuum Pump With New Wiring Harness Pigtail Connector (Multiple Custom Uses) (Can Be Used To Add Vacuum For HVAC, Cruise Control, 4WD Systems) (Factory On 2003-2004 Dodge Cummins 5.9L Diesel & 1999-2007 Ford 6.0L
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:12 PM   #13

Thanks Mel. Jim d.

Tags
dash, dash air, heat