RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dash radio in Beaver doesn't work when key is off

My radio works fine when the key is on or in acc but doesn't work with the key off. The manual indicates that all I need to do is to turn on the battery cutoff switch and turn the radio on....but that isn't' working. Do any of you Beaver or Monaco owners have a dash radio that works when the ignition key is off? If so, am I doing something wrong here?....

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Mine works the same way. Don't think it was designed to work with out the ignition being on or in Acc position.

kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My coach Has a switch that selects the radio to run via the ignition ignition switch position or bypasses and is powered regardless of the ignition switch position.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Not sure without checking my owners manual, because we don't use this feature regularly, but, you might try repositioning the switch in the bedroom that turns off the dash radio. Our maid has accidentally repositioned that switch when she was making the bed. That will turn off the dash radio.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Mine works the same way. Don't think it was designed to work with out the ignition being on or in Acc position.
Well if yours is that way then I'm guessing there is nothing broken but maybe just one of those things that don't actually function as documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Not sure without checking my owners manual, because we don't use this feature regularly, but, you might try repositioning the switch in the bedroom that turns off the dash radio. Our maid has accidentally repositioned that switch when she was making the bed. That will turn off the dash radio.

Take care,
Stu
Thanks Stu but I don't have a radio on/off switch in the bedroom...it is actually just a switch for the bedroom speakers and I tried toggling that on and off.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #6

My 2004 Beaver has the same problem. The key must be in the accessory position for the radio to play. Wish there was a way to play the radio with the keys off
jbesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #7

Just purchased our new (used) 2002 Monaco Dynasty Baroness. I was surprised to discover the radio works with the ignition and acc off. Still discovering the various switches throughout the coach.
norcalhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #8

Mine works without the key.

I have a switch on the dash and switch in the bedroom. Either one can turn the radio power on or off.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My manual also says that the Battery Cutoff Switch must be on. I believe that refers to the master battery isolation switch back in the battery compartment. Mine only works with the key in the Accessory or On position also. My switch in the bedroom only controls the bedroom speakers.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #10

Radio

Hi, the fix is fairly simple depending on your skillset with 12 volt power. Go to the front run bay and find an empty fuse location on the portion of the main board that is marked non-switched. Pull a single #12 wire up to the area by your left knee then extend it to the area behind the radio. Determine which wire is the current switched power wire to your radio either red or black and cut the wire and join it to the new wire run from the front run bay. The current ground should not have to be touched. Install a new fuse on the new fuse location, 15 amp, and your fix should allow your radio to play any time.
Good. Luck
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ours only works with the key in "on" or "ACC" position however, since the key switch appears to be a GM product the key will come out in any position. so if you really wanted to, you could leave it in ACC and take the keys out. (watching battery drain). Our bedroom switch only controls the rear speakers. When we are parked, we typically use the DVD/CD/Tuner surround system rather than the dash system.
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There should be a 2nd toggle switch may be 2 or 3 position.. May be labeled:
MAIN (it will be in this position)
(optional setting, OFF)
AUX (Switch to this position to run radio off HOUSE batteries).
Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #13

Our Georgetown has a two-position switch on the dash (not labelled!) which sets the radio to run off either the chassis battery or the house batteries. It would be a fairly simple add-on for a DIY if your rig doesn't have such a switch someplace.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #14

My radio is wired into the house batteries and it should be easy to pull your radio wire out
of where it is and move it over to the house battery

oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver, dash, radio