Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 10:35 PM   #1

Dash radio just quit

This may seem very simplistic and Iím sure it is. Most likely a fuse. Problem is the only fuse I have isolated is in the front electrical bay and named Radio Memory. Huh? What the heck is that? I usually pretty good at tracking down electrical problems, but this one is hiding from me. Iím probably over thinking it. Unless the radio fuse is back in the bedroom, I donít seem to be able to find it. If it is a fuse. Any simple ideas.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2021, 11:40 PM   #2

Radio memory is powered full time, key off. Keeps the presets and time current.

A second fuse is powered by the key, or on some, powered by the house battery.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:52 PM   #3

Hi DaveBunker; On my 01 Windsor there is a fuse in the 12V fuse box in the bedroom for the radio. Also I replaced the dead Sony a couple of years ago and found out that there is also an inline fuse in the radio harness. You have to remove the radio to get to it. My radio is also run off the house battery.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:29 AM   #4

On my 08 Diplomat there is a fuse in the closet for the radio. I have had to replace it a couple of times.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:42 AM   #5

Dash radio just quit

Thanks everyone. When I get to my camp site, Iíll dig further.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When I first bought the coach in 2008 the radio didn't work but the CD player did. So I replaced with the same model, which I could get. It failed again ~3/4 years later.

I ended up replacing with a slightly new version that still had the connector for my bedroom remote pad that controlled the radio, a nice feature which is not available on new radios.

The radio I have now actually has a fuse in the back of it, I believe 10 amp auto type fuse. So you may check there.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
In our front run bay under the driverís window we have 2 fuses related to the radio. 1 is fused Radio Memory and is on the constant 12V bus. The other is fused Radio Power and is on the 12V ignition bus.

All the best!
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:15 AM   #8

radio

make sure the salesman switch is on. On my 2004 windsor it will not work with the switch off
TGAWLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGAWLAK View Post
make sure the salesman switch is on. On my 2004 windsor it will not work with the switch off
If you don't know, that's the switch marked battery disconnect.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:31 PM   #10

Thanks, Iím well beyond the 12v power supply switch dilemma. What seems to be the problem is an aging radio. Fuse was indeed blown, replaced it and checked order fuses. No problem. Unless Iím missing a fuse. So in the event I want to replace the 17 year old unit, what one is a popular choice. I know finding a plug and play unit is not going to happen. The Kenwood connectors have been changed years ago. So the two sets of speakers, front and back are a no brainer. However there are a set of wires I have no idea what they run to. Iíll include pictures incase someone has an idea.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebunker View Post
thanks, iím well beyond the 12v power supply switch dilemma. What seems to be the problem is an aging radio. Fuse was indeed blown, replaced it and checked order fuses. No problem. Unless iím missing a fuse. So in the event i want to replace the 17 year old unit, what one is a popular choice. I know finding a plug and play unit is not going to happen. The kenwood connectors have been changed years ago. So the two sets of speakers, front and back are a no brainer. However there are a set of wires i have no idea what they run to. Iíll include pictures incase someone has an idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	331917Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0563.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	331918Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	331919Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	331920
Old 06-12-2021, 08:50 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I donít know if this information will help you or not because your coach may be different than mine. When I bought it the dash radio lit up but did not play. It was a Dyna-something or other, 1-1/2 din size radio that was known to have issues. Problem was the system also had a unit that took the radio output and the surround sound output and sent it where it needed to go per a switch that is marked Surround or Radio. I was sure that unit was the issue and found one on EBay, didnít fix a thing. Bought a new single din radio and adapter plate for the dash, spliced harness and now everything is good. Sometimes I think too hard.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We did a complete upgrade of our dash radio system, which I documented in our thread, including wiring and wiring diagrams.

In case it might be helpful to you, the link below takes you to the first post about the radio upgrade:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/upg...ml#post5409489

All the best!
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:35 PM   #14

Good evening DaveBunker; A couple of years ago as mentioned in my previous post I replaced the original Sony dash unit with a new Kenwood unit. My worst thought was now the different harness that came with the new Kenwood. The newer radio's come equipped with what they call a mini plug/harness. Way smaller that the one on the Sony. You could tell that the Monaco harness that goes into the coach with a connector to the Sony was made up at the factory. To my surprise the new Kenwood mini plug/harness was the same color coded wires from the Monaco factory harness. It was just a matter of cutting the Sony harness off the factory Monaco connector and splicing in the new Kenwood mini plug/harness. As like yours from the pictures there were 2 harnesses, all color coded the same. After splicing in the new harness to the new Kenwood I turned on the power and after going through the prompts to set up the new Kenwood I had a new working radio/CD player. New Kenwood that is Blue tooth equipped from Best Buy just $100 + tax. Took me an hour and one half from start to finish. From your pictures I can't tell if the harness to your Kenwood is the mini plug/ harness. So it's not that hard to get a new unit in and working. Just my experience!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, radio