Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dash radio on the fritz

I'm not a particularly mechanical guy, so am looking for some guidance as I attempt to fix my radio problem. The dash radio (one of those oversized jobs) all of the sudden started turning on and off. I suspect there is an electrical short somewhere, but why all of the sudden is that happening? Before I remove the dash plate, I would appreciate any thoughts on "likely suspect" things to check.

BTW... nothing else on the dash seems to be having any problems.

Thanks!

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would strongly suspect that he radio itself is faulty. Most car stereos have 2 power leads; one that is switched when the ignition is on and another that is hot all the time. The latter keeps the clock and station memory. Either of those shorting out would probably blow the fuse.
From Monaco's pdf of your model, it looks like the radio is a standard double din size. If that is the case, you should be able to remove the old and upgrade to one of dozens of new radios fairly easily. If it is a nonstandard size, you might go to a single din size and a filler panel.
I would think that either option would be less expensive than repairing the original radio and would probably sound better, too.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,

If your MH is like my 2005 Ambassador, you have a switch on the dash (mine is next to the gen. start and stop switch). It turns my radio on and off. Enables me to keep the volume preset instead of using the on-off-volume knob. Sounds like you have a loose connection on that switch or a bad switch.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
RonaldNC......If your radio is an original Magnadyne, they had an issue with the rear connector. It didn't get a positive connection and would lose power when the CD player was being used.

Here's a link to the problem http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/magn...fix-53006.html
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoesdad View Post
Ron,

If your MH is like my 2005 Ambassador, you have a switch on the dash (mine is next to the gen. start and stop switch). It turns my radio on and off. Enables me to keep the volume preset instead of using the on-off-volume knob. Sounds like you have a loose connection on that switch or a bad switch.
In addition to the front switch on the dash to turn the radio on and off, our 2006 Diplomat has a second switch in the bedroom that can be used to turn the radio on and off. Might give that a look also.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the advice. I will check the connection in back of the radio (seems pretty straight forward). I also have the radio switch on the dash and the bedroom, do it sounds like I will need to do some tracking of wires, connections, switches, etc.

BTW... I'm not particularly impressed with the radio... it's really big to just provide a radio and CD player (not even multi-disk)! Is there a decent radio that will fit in that big space? I would hate to have to put some kind of spacer to fill in the gap.

Thanks,

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We bought our 03 HR Ambassador a year ago. It has a Kenwood AM FM single CD player in it. Does anyone out there know if that was the standard radio for this model or it this an aftermarket installation? It worked well for this last year but is now giving us issues asking for a security code of some sort and won't play radio or CD. Been trying everything we can from the owners manual and still stymied. Ready to make a boat anchor out of it!!!!! Any help much appreciated.

Al
e8seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #8

IF your radio is a Magnadyne they are really junk. An odd size 1.5 DIN. I dont think anyone else makes that size. I think Mgnadyne has a newer model that is better. Someone on this forum installed one a way back.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:21 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
This seems to work for some: Tech by Bucky: How to reset the security code on a Kenwood stereo
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #10

I replaced a Magnadyne in my Winnebago with a Panasonic and it was a great improvement...also got XM radio with it. The best thing I liked was the remote control which I velcroed to my steering wheel so I could mute out the commercials. We think XM is a mandatory accessory if you travel much.
My new Diplomat has a Magnadyne with Sirius/XM, no remote, and is a pain to change stations, or mute. Can hardly wait for it to crap out. (They offer an optional remote but it doesn't have a "mute" that I can see in the picture.)
Golfingene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, radio