RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
dash voltmeters

Today's project is going to be a pair of digital voltmeters in the dash, one for the chassis bats, second for the house.

I found these at Newark electronics for $35 or so each. Made by Laskar, model EMV1200.
They measure 1.82" wide by .82" tall. The numbers are 1/2" tall, should be no problem for me to see.

Mounting will be cake. The wires come out thru the middle of a 7/32" hollow mounting stud!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120417_171352.png
Views:	96
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	20122

I'm going to put them here, between the hvac controls and the lighter sockets, hoping to find chassis power at the hvac, and house power at the lighters.

Name:	ForumRunner_20120417_171619.png
Views:	88
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	20123

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim,
Great idea. I put "expanded scale" analog volt meters off to my left (just up from the Allison shifter pad) and I enjoy knowing what's going on!! I see from your photo that you've chosen to read voltage in 10ths (rather than hundredths). There is just too much number jumping when "hundredths" is chosen.

Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
And then i dared go in the house to P.
And got shanghied into helping with dinner.....

Shoulda just used the facility in the bus....
Old 04-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To obtain a more accurate reading, I ran a 4-conductor wire from my two meters down to the main DC-panel (in the bay below the driver) to obtain my voltage readings. Reason? Tapping a point under the dash (for the + DC source and meter ground) would present a voltage that varies based on loads being ON or OFF in the dash area. Example: My Monaco in-dash voltmeter changes 3 volts when I turn on my headlights. This forum has discussed why this happens (poor ground or ground wires, etc.), and I have yet to try to fix that problem. I hate working under the dash!!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
That sounds like a good idea Robi, thanks.
How'd you get that wire down there? My bus is sealed up really good, mass quantities of gray expanding foam shot into every opening and wiring chase!

I never did get back out there today... did the dishes after dinner, walked the dog's with the DW, then tried to do some vacation planning. We're heading west as soon as school's out, toward Moab, hopefully for 3 weeks or more.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The path for the 4-conductor wire? I drilled a 1/4" hole in the floor just behind the left drivers side (but slightly ahead of the front slide). This "exit" is just above the left-front tire. Another hole was drilled in the electronics bay (upper right of the bay).

Because these conductors are 18 or 20 or 22 gauge (I don't recall), they need to be fused at 1 amp (or so) such that if a short circuit were to occur, they don't cause a fire. I used one of those "in line" fuse holders, placing these fuses in the electronics bay....and labeled them as to their purpose.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I put one of these by the entrance door to monitor coach batts. Since I have a Trik-L-Start, I saw no need to monitor chassis. I do have a ScanGuage on dash to monitor chassis volts.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I did get out and finish this today. Pulled power from the lighter sockets in the same panel for the house volts, and found chassis 12 volts on the step cover switch in the next panel to the left.
I also put in a new triple 12 volt lighter socket under the far left of the dash, to plug in my gps and tpms, now they won't have wires running all the way across the dash and tangling with my feet.

Sorry no pics, seem to havelost my cel phone... it should turn up tomorrow.

Next on the list... I mopunted our new hdtv in the bedroom on our last trip, and it is a bit off level, need to fix that, and also run an hdmi cable from the new tv into the cabinet above, and replace the current DVD with a bluray with wifi.

Also need to pull down the salon TV, and run an hdmi and video game connection down from there for additional inputs. The way the thing is mounted, we just can't get at the back connections at all.

Then it will be time for some LED lighting, and my starlight motion sensor porch light hopefully will get here before the weekend!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
As i've found some liesure time and i never posted a done pic...
Old 04-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Here it is.

Name:	ForumRunner_20120426_162953.png
Views:	59
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	20428

I can't wait to get out on the road and check em out in real life. One thing they will tell me is "when is the bird engaged"?
Siomething i always wanted to know. Parked in the driveway on shore power, the bird id always on.

I also got the starlight porch light installed. I like it, nice and bright, and it is nice to have the whole side of the coach light up when someone walks up.

One thing, the understeps lights are wired to the porch light switch... So with the porch light switch on to enable the starlight motion sensors, under the steps is always lit up. I'll need to rewire that, so under the steps lights up with the assist handle, which is on the interior step light switch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120426_163515.png
Views:	60
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	20429