Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #1

Dashboard error codes

We have an '07 Monaco Dynasty. We just started full-timing 2 months ago, and this is the first trip in this motorhome. We went from Colorado to upstate New York, spent a few weeks with our youngest son, and then traveled to Florida to spend time with our oldest son (Panama City area). All in all we have travled about 3600 miles with relatively few problems ( mainly " learning experiences"). We are currently volunteering at a state park.
Our problem started when we had to move from one RV spot to another after the motorhome sat for one month. The analog gauges did their normal diagnostic sweep; however instead of returning to normal, they continuously sweep. I am also getting error codes on the red LED read outs. The error codes read : " engine comm error "
" trans comm error"
" abs comm error"
Also on the trans shift pad, instead of the LED showing what gear I'm in, it just shows a couple of ##( something like that). The engine starts and shifts normally. I was able to move from one site to another without incident, including backing up.
Monaco said it might be a bad ground up in the instrument cluster. I had a mobile rv tech come out. He spent almost 3 hours trying to find the problem with no luck. We did find evidence of rodents ( nest, droppings) in a couple of spots. Good guy, insisted on not charging me anything, since he couldn't find the problem. I called Monaco back, he suggested trying to reboot everything by shutting off all sources of power ( including covering solar panel), for an hour or two. No luck.
Fortunately we are not in an emergency situation since we will be here thru August. If it is safe to drive ( I will call Monaco) there is a repair shop in Pensacola ( about 60 miles) that comes well recommended regarding electrical issues. Obviously I would prefer not to drive it any farther then necessary, if at all.
So I am hoping the collective wisdom of the Monaco forum can help me out with some suggestions from those of you who have much more experience with stuff like this than I do. Anything else I can try? If not, does anyone know someone closer to recommend? Thanks in advance for all the help, and for everything I've learned so far that helped me choose my Monaco.

Thanks, Mike & Theresa Wyant
mcwyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To what extent was "shutting off all sources of power" accomplished? Did you disconnect all batteries at their terminals (not just at the battery cut-off switches)? And I'd leave "all stuff off" for more time than 2 hours. This is wishful thinking, but insuring a full re-boot of ECM is certainly worth another try.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #3

Dashboard error codes

I have 2 chassis batteries and 8 house batteries. Are you telling me to disconnect all of these? I did turn off both battery disconnects, turned off the inverter, turned off switch by the door, disabled the generator, and covered the solar panel. Am I missing anything? How long would you leave everything off? My concern is we have a residential refrigerator. I just did what Monaco tech support suggested. They suggested one hour, but we left everything off for 2 hours. How long would it be safe to leave the fridge off?
Old 07-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You removed most of the power to the house, but not the chassis which includes the transmission and engine ECMs. You need to just disconnect the negative terminal on the chassis battery. I don't think you need to disconnect the house batteries as they should be seperate from the chassis.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #5

You are wasting your time disconnecting power. This is not a computer problem that can be fixed by resetting anything. It may mean that your J1398 communication system is faulty. The engine, Trans , ABS and more all communicate over these small gauge wires. Monaco has had problems with that system. I doubt any RV tech can help. You need a real tech who is familiar with these systems. I am certainly not an expert on this but they use triangular grey plastic Deutsch connectors for the wires. Even one spec of corrosion will cause a problem. Very difficult to find the problem. You could easily spend $3000 and still have the problem. Everything is voltage sensitive. I would first clean all your battery connections. You will have to remove the battery cables and buff the copper ends with a wire wheel on a bench grinder.They should shine like new!. Follow the cables to the many ground connections on the chassis and clean them as well. I have even heard of a Monaco owner finding a fuse for the engine computer in the rear run box that was corroded. Good luck.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #6
YC1

Get a notepad and voltmeter to record voltage reading on the panels shown. There are large cables coming into the top of the small panel. There are large wires going into the large panels too. Don't worry about what the voltages are, just be sure you get plenty of readings. Take a picture and print it out leaving some room to write the voltages on it.

Once you have those measurements tighten the nuts on those cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front run panel.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	132245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small fuse panel.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	132246  

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #7

Where are these panels located? We're still trying to learn where everything is. Should I do anything after tightening these cables?
Old 07-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #8
YC1

Below the driver in the outside compartment.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #9

Update

We are at Commercial Truck and Tire ( a Freightliner service center) in Ft walton Beach Florida. I drove it 20 miles here with no gauges ( except air brakes). We have been here since last monday. So far they have replaced the trans control module and the engine control module ( both tested bad). Now they cannot get the Vorad and Alladin systems to communicate. Apparently there are 255 possible programming options, and Jason at Monaco is the only one who knows this stuff, and he's on vacation for 3 weeks! Monaco is trying to find someone else who can help but I'm not holding my breath. Eaton Vorad was no help either. Hopefully I'm explaining this stuff correctly (way above my head !) We have been fulltiming for only 3 months and boy has this been a test! We don't know what caused all this and don't know when this will be resolved. So far it's up to about $4,000 to $5,000 with the meter running. We don't know how much either our insurance or our extended warranty ($6,000) will cover. Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.

Mike & Theresa
Old 07-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My simple suggestion would be to make an appointment at the Monaco Service Center in Coburg where Jason works and they will fix the problem (after Jason gets back from vacation). Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
... or maybe down to Alliance Coach in Wildwood FL? They used to be a Monaco Service Center and still has a LOT of the original expertise working there. Between them and Jason, it's gotta get better.

I do know how it is. We're pullin' for ya!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #12

It's a long way from. Florida to Oregon without (or with) gauges! I may check out Wildwood, FL. Phone # or contact name by any chance? Thanks for the feedback
Old 07-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #13

Jason is the man> I spoke with him a number of times. No other Monaco service center has the expertise when it comes to your problem. When they replaced the 2 computers did your gauges start to work? I doubt both computers are bad.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:00 PM   #14

No, hasn't solved it yet. Extended warranty company had them take out the ECM, they said it was within parameters and they would not pay any more until the problem was identified. I talked to Ed at Alliance Coach and he said not to replace any more parts and to talk to Jason. So we are waiting for Jason to get back from vacation ( 2 weeks). Meanwhile we are sitting at the truck repair place, already been here 2 weeks. We have been volunteering at a state Park 20 miles away. A couple we volunteer with have been so nice and have taken us in on the days we work. The other days we drive back to our motorhome in the parking lot ( at least they let us use their 30 amp). We would like to move it back to our park while we wait for Jason, but we're worried the warranty company wouldn't cover it if we moved it. We will try and clarify that on Monday. If we can't move it, it sits until Jason gets back. Hard to believe only one person can solve this! (And I sure hope he can!) Thanks for the response, Mike.

Tags
dash, dashboard