Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #1

Finally couldn't take it anymore, Went out to the rig Sat to start getting ready for the upcoming rally and couldn't get the shade by the table to stay up. After about five minutes of fussing with it, I took a knife and cut it to pieces. Barb was laughing real good by now. Was going to order shades from MCD but couldn't see spending $500. Went to wallyworld and got 4 roll up shades and 4 yards of material and made new shades. They came out looking real good. Makes the rig look more like a home. 4 windows for less then $100 and about 2 hours sewing/install time. And yes, "I" sewed them myself!

Carl
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #2

Finally couldn't take it anymore, Went out to the rig Sat to start getting ready for the upcoming rally and couldn't get the shade by the table to stay up. After about five minutes of fussing with it, I took a knife and cut it to pieces. Barb was laughing real good by now. Was going to order shades from MCD but couldn't see spending $500. Went to wallyworld and got 4 roll up shades and 4 yards of material and made new shades. They came out looking real good. Makes the rig look more like a home. 4 windows for less then $100 and about 2 hours sewing/install time. And yes, "I" sewed them myself!

Carl
Old 09-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Any photos for us?

CC
Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #4

Hi Carl

Yes, please take and post some photos - sounds really nice.

Notice you are at St Paul Island AK - are you heading south anytime soon - might want to put an eyeball on them...

John
Las Vegas Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Las Vegas Rambler:
Hi Carl

Yes, please take and post some photos - sounds really nice.

Notice you are at St Paul Island AK - are you heading south anytime soon - might want to put an eyeball on them...

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will try to get some pics tomorrow.

I am in Fallon NV right now. Hoping to get back to AK next spring/summer. I bounce around a lot.

Carl
Old 09-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I am sure he will get photos up- BUT if he doesn't- I promse you I will have the camera at the rally and I will take some then!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone tried the new shades from MCD that replace the string/fan fold type?

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Carl,

All you had to do was tighten the strings on each side. They probably became loose. Had it happen to me and all I had to do was tighten the strings. Works every time, until the string breaks, then I have to restring them. But do post the pictures, I might be interested to make a change in my coach also.

Jim
Retired RV tech
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
What was the 4 yards of material for?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by loranimal:

Carl </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #10

I had tried to adjust them to no end. When I got the first one down, I noticed that the installers tightened the screws to much and bent the top causing my string problems.

The material was to make new shades. I got the cheap vinyl ones just for the roller bar and added my own material to match the inside.

Working on pictures, but ran into a keyless control problem (different topic)

Carl
Old 09-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #11

Another option is [URL=www.cellularwindowshades.com] Cellular window shades.

These are not cheap, but they actually bring the insulation value of windows up to r=5! These shades are a double honeycomb design with an optional plastic guide along the sides (a plastic blade which fits into a groove cut into the edges of the shade) which prevent air (and light) from leaking around the sides and holds the shade from banging against the window when traveling. Being able to ease the load on the air conditioner when outside temps get in the 100's by simply lowering the shades on the big windows is a big advantage.

One caution - if you have dual pane (Thermopane) windows and hot weather, check with window manufacturer. Insulating this well can lead to higher temperatures on the inside pane than some dual pane windows can stand, rupturing the seal.

Another advantage I found was that I did not need the "Day/Night" version, just the "light filtering" ("room darkening" model in bedroom). Since the shade consists of 3 fabric layers each separated by about 1/2 inch, they diffuse light much better than the single layer of a "day" shade, and so give better privacy. My old "Day/Night" shade took up about 5 inches at the top of the window since they're actually 2 shades in one. These new shades give my an additional 2 inches or so of view at the top of the windows.
jspande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #12

Our first rig had day/night horizontal pleated shades. I hated them No matter how hard I tried, it was impossible to raise or lower them and have those pleates look level. They always ran downhill from one side to the other.

Our present rig has mini-blinds. I love them. They always look level: easy to raise and lower. And, yes, the do make the rig look more like a house.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Ours always look crooked, too. Plus, most of the time when raising them, they don't fold up neatly & I spend my time trying to pinch the folds into place. I dispise them!

The more expensive Fleetwood coaches now have this type of shade. They look like they'd work better, but only time will tell.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #14

Here are a couple pics of the shades. Need to adjust one a little bit.