Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
Dead Coach- 08 Cayman PDQ

I stored my coach briefly at my daughter's farm just south of us. A few days before we moved it we discovered that some mice had moved in. We found and plugged their entry, then caught six of them in two days. There were no more.

The day before it was due for it's fridge recall I went out there and plugged it in. Next morning it started fine, but I noticed that the "Wait To Start" light came on as usual, but went out in a couple of seconds. I waited the usual 10-15 seconds and it started fine.

After the service centre did their work it wouldn't start. They charged the batteries overnight and it still wouldn't go. It's next stop was at Cummins Western Canada for an oil change, so I had Coach Net tow it there. They did nothing for over three weeks so Coach Net moved it again last Friday, to a big truck bodyshop managed by a friend of mine.

My batteries seem fine, the headlights are bright. I suspect the mice have chewed a wire, and although it started fine for me, the vibration in the drive into the city may have allowed the wire to separate enough that it won't go now? Tomorrow we'll try to find out. The coach is in a heated shop now and has been plugged in all weekend, so I'll have fully charged batteries.

Has anyone had a similiar experience? The "Wait To Start" light is still coming on just briefly, and that's the only clue we have apart from the fact that the voltmeter never even twinges when I turn the key to start.
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #2

It might be your chassis batteries have a dead short in it...what happens if you hit the batt boost...does that help it? Does it turnover but not start? It could even be the starter solenoid and a good tap on that might get it going...More information would be helpful.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
When I turn the key, there is no life whatsoever. I could be a shorted battery or the starter solenoid? We'll be beginning with those tomorrow morning. The only "change" is the mice, which is why I'm prone to giving them the credit. I'de much prefer the batteries or the solenoid is the problem.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It doesn't turn over, even with the battery boost. The RV shop tried that, but I'm not sure they did it according to the Monaco instructions, so we'll also try that tomorrow too. I did try my headlights, and they are nice and bright, which should indicate the batteries are OK.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Check the breakers (12v) in the rear run box. The one maked IGN controls all those functions. Maybe just in/out or change with one next to it. They are cheap at NAPA and control your whole life. Same thing happened on my buddies' Cayman '08...maybe a bad batch of breakers.

Good luck... hope it's that simple.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #6

Kinds interesting. Usually if the starter solenoid goes bad you get a clicking sound when the key is turned. Not sure that there are any breakers in the starter solenoid circuit from the ignition switch to the solenoid. What can cause that is the neutral saftey switch in the Allison transmission ECU. Does the Allision transmission pushbutton control box light up and look and act normal?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone tried jumping it at the starter solenoid itself?

I'm betting the mice got the one wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid and had a good lunch and/or supper on it. It may have well started the one time for you as the then smaller diameter wire core left after "lunch" burned up with the excessive power going through what was left of the wire.

It seems they might have gotten the pre heat wires also which are now recycling fast because there is no resistance from the glow plugs.

I'm surprised what should be obvious dame to the wiring has not been spotted already.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, guys, you ideas will help us as we diagnose the problem tomorrow. Nothing has been spotted so far, because Cummins never even looked at my coach. The just left it parked in thier unsecured back lot for over three weeks and kept making up BS excuses for not getting it into their shop!

The tow truck didn't remove my rear flap either, and it's a pretzel now! Coach Net is dealing with them. I really like Coach Nets attitude and service level.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #9

I sure hope they removed your driveshaft while it was towed.

Check that transmission neutral lock function.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure they removed the driveshaft either, I suspect they didn't?

The good news is that the tow was less than two miles and at no speeds over 30 MPH. Our streets are slippery as well, so they probably didn't even get going that fast? Would a slow, short tow like that cause any problems?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The good news is that it doesn't look like any chewed wires, thank God for that!

We found two totally dead chassis batteries and replaced them. The batteries we took out were too small in any case, 750 CCA; the new ones are 925 CCS. Nobody even stocks the little ones here in Saskatoon.

Then we discovered a dead starter. A new one is on order from Cummins, it will be installed tomorrow. And with any luck we should be on the road again! It sure will be nice to hear that thing crank over and start that glorious rumbling again!

I've made a claim with Coach-Net regarding my mud flap and my transmission. We suspect the tranny is OK, given the very short tow and very slow speeds, but we really won't know until I drive it awhile.

Hopefully we have things sorted out?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.smithjr View Post

I've made a claim with Coach-Net regarding my mud flap and my transmission. We suspect the tranny is OK
I really have to ask what was the claim in regards to the transmission?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Poor choice of words on my part, sorry. We have made a NOTE of the fact that this towing company towed my coach without removing the driveshaft, just in case, down the road I have problems as a result.

The great minds are certain there will not be any problems as they only towed it about a mile and at very slow speeds.

It turns out I know the manager of this towing firm and he has already ordered me a new mud flap. I did him a favour too and pointed out the www.futuresalerv.com website, and cut his cost at least in 1/2.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you I was half thinking that but then that's what normally gets me in trouble "thinking".