Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #1

Dead engine battery

2013 Canyon Star 3610 F53 chassis

Had a dead battery after not being used for a Month. Took it to Ford, the found the battery to be defective and replaced it. Now 3 weeks later the battery is dead again.

Jump started the, ran the engine, the battery voltage is 12.67.

Disconnected the negative side and a Amp meter shows 0.769 amps with the key off.

Could this be the leak that killing the Battery?
JoeMota is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #2

Yup, you have a troll sucking up juice. Would be interesting to see what it is. Get a battery disconnect switch for the meantime.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Yes that will kill the battery. YOu should have a battery disconnect onboard to take the batteries offline. But you do need to find out what the draw is.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #4

There has to be some voltage going into the vehicle when the key is turned off so that the ECU does not dump all the parameters and your radio does not dump all the presets. If you use a battery disconnect switch then every time you start it up after the battery was disconnected it is going to be born again and have to heat up enough to reset everything. How many amps it is going to draw is a question I can't answer. Is there a light turned on somewhere like in the engine compartment?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #5

I believe he is talking about the engine battery since he spoke of jump starting the engine. IIRC, the onboard battery disconnect will only disconnect the house batteries. Something is draining the engine battery from the frame/engine side of the coach. He is losing nearly one amp so it has to be something other than the ECU and radio memory.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #6

We have 'disconnect' switches for both the house and chassis batteries. While there is a 'normal' draw to support systems while the MH is not running, they 'normally' should not drain the batteries in that short of time. I would suspect that there is something else being left on. Check all of the compartment light switches.
Also if you have AC power it does not hurt to get something along the lines of a Battery Tender, to keep the batteries charged. If we are not going to be using the MH for a long period of time, I hook up our Battery Tender.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Probably dont have a Chassis battery charger when hooked to shore power. One of the best is a Lambert but its $$$, the Trik_L -Start will do the job for under $50

RVupgrades: RV Parts & Accessories To Upgrade Your RV
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via MSN to sailsam Send a message via Yahoo to sailsam
Joe - Something else that might be considered by an R/Ver that's going to park the R/V for any significantly long time un-used might be a small solar panel. West Marine sells them to boat owners that only use their boats once a month or less. Price is around $30. Since I have 6 good size solar panels on my boat I've not had the necessity to buy one, but I expect that you can get something similar thru Amazon.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
0.769 * 24 = 18.456

18.456 * 7 * 3 = 387+ am hours.

Yes that is what is killing your batteries,

That said: After 9.5 years the factory battery on my workhorse failed,, Testing this morning said "Fully charged but less than half the rated cranking amps" .. New Heavier Duty DEKA installed this afternoon. Works great.