Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #449

Glad you are back up running! Wonder what the moral of this story will be ?
You better be a mechanic if you are going to own a older Motor Home?

You better have deep pockets if you own an older Motor Home

Don't drive an older Motor Home far from home ?
OR

Never give up/ success is just around the corner !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 08:36 PM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post

OR

None of the above. It will be "never let anything get in the way of your love to travel and see new things".
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #451

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Glad you are on the road again.I have the same engine.Retired truck mechanic and would not want to change that pump.
Doyle and Peggy,1999 Country Coach.2013 Silverado 4x4.
350 ISC
mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:03 PM   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
How many miles to home.
You know..... I tend to bring these situations on to myself. The original plan was to leave on Dec 14 for 3 weeks of snowboarding. I'm not sure that ever came up in this thread but there were certainly concerns/issues/worries about winter camping and the challenges that come with it.

Settle in for a long post if you're bored.

After the December that I had, I should be beelining it for home, right? That's not how I operate. I knew that I had a choice: get home and sell the coach or battle test it. I couldn't baby it and spend every mile feeling like there was a storm cloud over my head and that I was only waiting for the next major breakdown. I need to have confidence that it will work and do the job I bought it to do.

So as soon as it was running we pointed it north. We have a reservation for new years at Fireside Resort just outside Jackson Hole. I also have a google map of RV friendly ski resorts and there was one on the way that interested me.... So we put White Pine Ski resort in Pinedale, WY in the GPS and now I'm happy to report we are slopeside, warm, well fed and I've got a makers mark in hand. I'll be on the first chair at 9am tomorrow and whenever my legs give out we will head to Jackson.

But..... About today. We made it but it wasn't smooth.

First stop was O'reilly for a clamp for the intake. They didn't have the right size (of course had one a hair too big and one a hair too small) so ultimately decided a regular hose clamp would get us moving until we could truly fix it. No such luck. Blew off as soon as I got to the first on ramp.

Next stop autozone. Found the right clamp (wasn't easy) but $5.99 later and we were moving fast again!

Blew the intake again 6 miles later. Was cursing and trying to figure out if I'd be able to spot and pick the clamp back up on the interstate if we looped around..... Imagine my surprise when it wasn't the new clamp that had given out but the old one!!? Luckily it was still there and I realized that it was never fully torqued down. Fixed on the side of the highway and no further intake issues.

Made it to laramie to stock up on groceries (liquor) and hit the self serve car wash. Rig was FILTHY after all the towing spray and needed 20m of wash bay time. Not fun in 10F weather.

Pulled into the grocery store and discovered my motorcycle rack was mangled and my two Z125s were barely even attached to the back!! I wish I had a photo but I was pretty embarrassed and needed to focus my energy elsewhere...... Must have hit a bollard leaving the carwash. It was tight and you know how the back of these things swing. One of the trays was bent in half with yellow paint down the leading edge. Luckily the bikes were still there and no real damage besides the rack. Some ratchet strap engineering and back in business. Will need to have a welder address when back home but it's solid now.

Made it to Wamsutter, WY - Loves Truck Stop - to get a propane fill. Very nice woman hooks up the tank and the fill hose starts spraying all over the place. There's a check valve in the tank to prevent anything in there from leaking out but the hose is shot and I need to have a new one made. Can't get propane until then. Tank is half full so should be OK for a few days - and lined up a repair when we get to Jackson.

Can you believe this is still the same day?

Start experiencing some high coolant temps coming west out of there. There are some relatively mellow (but long) climbs but the temp gauge isn't making any sense. It is going up to 220F and then slowly back down to 160F but doesn't have any rhyme or reason. I adjust my speed up and down and keep an eye on whether it's when om the boost or off and can't make sense of it. Mobile tech did tell me we lost some coolant during the repair and that I should top it off when I have a chance. But..... Downside of my motorcycle carrier is that I can't open the rear doors, it's a big ordeal to unload so that I can and so we declared if the low coolant light wasn't on I must have been ok. After spiking over 220F on a flat spot of road I decided I should take the time before it got real dark (and real cold) and unload the bikes and top off the coolant. It was indeed very low. Filled it correctly and temp problems were now in the rear view mirror.

So we have now traversed most of Wyoming and collected every repair merit badge possible. We are 3 miles from our destination. Haven't seen another vehicle in 75 minutes. This has to be one of the most remote ski resorts in the US (which is cool!) and the headlights cut out. Jiggling the switch makes them come on and off. Enough that we can flicker them and with the full moon and the fog lights we can avoid the deer on the road (seriously.... 3 miles and saw at least a dozen deer.)

But like I said: battle testing. Tomorrow the coach will get another repair (I like to think of them as upgrades) and then I won't have to think about headlight switches for a long time.

Before that I have a good sleep and an early chairlift to look forward to.
Fffrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #453

Oh - and I promise: I will post up a final cost breakdown for the breakdown. Haven't put it together, yet.
Fffrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #454

Nice to hear from you Frank. Wow, what a story. Enjoy your trip. Keep us updated every now and again. P.S. Jackson Hole is great. Make sure to go in (if open) to the Cowboy Bar. Fun times.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:15 AM   #455

Great, great story. Thanks for keeping us updated. By the way, if you get to Teton Village you might want to check out the Mangy Moose.
rhenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:17 AM   #456

Wow Frank. Way to hang my friend. Great attitude keeping the glass half full and going on with life. A lesson to us all.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:17 AM   #457

Monaco Owners Club
You had me at "Makers Mark"

We had a similar experience with problems on a trip and my wife suggested we just go back home, I said no and we soldered on and everything was fine.

I'm trying understand your problem with the intake clamps, that side of the system is under vacuum and shouldn't impact boost. How were the clamps blown off. Just over tightened.

But glad you are on the move and seem to be making progress. My guess is that after this trip you may decide to keep the coach as you will have pretty much figured out what can go wrong and how to fix it. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to step up to a newer coach.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #458

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post

OR

Stay the hell out if Colorado! I live here and have a love hate relationship with the I70. Love how my Ford charges up it - hated being broken down in a U'Haul on the west side of it

I'm late to this adventure. My first thought was there must be somebody reading this near Silverthorne/Denver who could put you up and loan you a car. I certainly would, but alas I'm over an hour north in Fort Collins.

Would you write a summary; what you did right, what you did wrong - some advice for the next guy on the side of the road using Google for solutions?

We're all glad you persevered. Wishing ing you good tidings, comfort and joy in the new year 😊
BajaFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:43 AM   #459

Frank
Enjoy the skiing you earned it. I have a similar story on my first rv bought a cross the country and drove home. Not as expensive as your ordeal but frustrating never the less its been 11 years now and we laugh every time I tell the story. Time heals all
Old 12-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #460

I've been reading this thread off and on since it was originally posted. My wife and I are finally retired and have entertained the thought of buying a used diesel pusher to see the country and act as a winter home in Florida.

To be honest, the comments here (and elsewhere on this forum) have caused me to rethink that purchase. We've owned towables, fifth wheels over the years and have always found there to be something that needs attention. However, it seems the more I investigate the dp market, the more problems I encounter and the more expensive the repair.

I realize there are thousands of MH's on the road and not everyone of them is a problem. But compared to my diesel pick-up, the problems in DP seem to be more frequent and subsequently more expensive.

We are seriously considering moving from a 40' fiver to a MH. Am I overthinking this or what?
offdutyagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:15 AM   #461

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Well Frank, you done good. Sounds like you might benefit from a small portable welder...

I’m still stuck at home having bailed from my desert trip on Christmas day with DEF isssues, again. Last time i happened, it had me improvising a Thanksgiving Dinner in the parking lot of Velocity Truck in N. Las Vegas on my way to Richmond Va. Now I’m waiting until Jan 24 for an apt with Freightliner.

Meantime my frustrations got the best of me, I went shopping and I found a local Monaco Dynasty Bishop IV. Had never heard of this model but it was a beauty. 2009 with 07 emissions, 500hp ISM, 4000 trans, excellent chassis/suspension, tag, high option coach, and under 40’! I could have bought that, sold mine once it’s fixed, been money ahead in the long run and be on the road again. Of course it was sold the day I enquired about it

Sounds like drastic measures (because it is) but I’m really frustrated with a mechanical/electronic system I can’t work on and a loss of confidence in my coach. But since reading your saga, Ive decided to soldier on with this rig (up until now it’s been perfect and I do really like it), and become a SCR/DEF/DPF mobile tech. It’s either that or restrict my travels to areas within 100 miles of a Freightliner shop because I see no improvements in the system and no relief from anyone able to make changes in the foreseeable future. It will probably just get worse

Today I’m buying materials to enclose and insulate the compartment with my DEF tank. One issue seems to be traveling in sub-freezing temps, even though the “experts” say the stuff is good to 12* F. That may be so in the tank, but I think it might be freezing in the lines. So if I can regulate the tank temp (warmer in winter, cooler in summer) it might help. But that’s just a guess and I know there are other issues. I’m also looking into software override options - expensive and a bandaid approach, but it might keep me moving rather than being stranded. Again!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdutyagain View Post
I've been reading this thread off and on since it was originally posted. My wife and I are finally retired and have entertained the thought of buying a used diesel pusher to see the country and act as a winter home in Florida.

To be honest, the comments here (and elsewhere on this forum) have caused me to rethink that purchase. We've owned towables, fifth wheels over the years and have always found there to be something that needs attention. However, it seems the more I investigate the dp market, the more problems I encounter and the more expensive the repair.

I realize there are thousands of MH's on the road and not everyone of them is a problem. But compared to my diesel pick-up, the problems in DP seem to be more frequent and subsequently more expensive.

We are seriously considering moving from a 40' fiver to a MH. Am I overthinking this or what?
Over thinking it. Go over and read the Class A gas forums. They have their own problems as well.